Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On this Black Friday, many stores have the 3DS on sale, what do you guys think, will they come with the newer firmware or will they come with the firmware that Gateway 3DS uses? Also the 2DS, I reckon all of them have newer FWs right?

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On this Black Friday, many stores have the 3DS on sale, what do you guys think, will they come with the newer firmware or will they come with the firmware that Gateway 3DS uses? Also the 2DS, I reckon all of them have newer FWs right?

Check my earlier post on page 15 of this thread. I gave an example of how to pick up a BF 3ds xl for $149.00 (at Target) now, and get reimbursed the difference on black friday or after.
So basically it lets you hunt down a "copyright 2012 " box, and guarantee you get one. (assuming you can find old stock 2012 boxes at your local store)
And I know i've seen a youtube vid of a guy setting up the gateway on a 2ds, so somehow there must be some with <5.0 firmwares.....But if you can find a 3DS XL for $149, why get a 2ds??

oooharuooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey buddies, have some questions,
1. Which one is the most low cost US games with 4.1- 4.5..?
2. Is it possible to update from 4.1 to 4.5 only using gateway 3DS..?
I think is Naruto Powerful Shippuden, it's only 20$ in Gamestop now :D If you can wait, you can buy it from online, ebay, amazon... The price should be cheaper

Reactions: IMRAN_PETER

oooharuooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check my earlier post on page 15 of this thread. I gave an example of how to pick up a BF 3ds xl for $149.00 (at Target) now, and get reimbursed the difference on black friday or after.
So basically it lets you hunt down a "copyright 2012 " box, and guarantee you get one. (assuming you can find old stock 2012 boxes at your local store)
And I know i've seen a youtube vid of a guy setting up the gateway on a 2ds, so somehow there must be some with <5.0 firmwares.....But if you can find a 3DS XL for $149, why get a 2ds??
I read it but still don't understand.... so for example, if right now I go to Target and buy a 3ds xl with a price of 200$ . Can I still return it if I already opened the box ???? And how do I change that 3ds ( 200$ ) with the 3ds during Black Friday ( 150$). Sorry, I just have been in Us about 3 weeks

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Guys, anyone tried updating using Gateway..?
My firmware is 1.1 & us region 3DS.
Asking because I live in a very far away country. And there are barely any 3DS user...

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read it but still don't understand.... so for example, if right now I go to Target and buy a 3ds xl with a price of 200$ . Can I still return it if I already opened the box ???? And how do I change that 3ds ( 200$ ) with the 3ds during Black Friday ( 150$). Sorry, I just have been in Us about 3 weeks

You can't return it if you open the box. The best way to do this is with ONLY a Discover or Citi based credit card. Go to Target anytime before black friday, and buy a 3ds/XL that is 2012 version, using one of those credit cards. Then, after the black friday ad for Target is printed, download or save a physical copy of the ad that shows it's $149.00

THEN..you follow the directions of the credit cards site online, to submit a copy of your store receipt, and the black friday ad, and the CCard company will reimburse you the price difference. (don't know how long it takes them to though)

So, you have to email a few things, but you save yourself $50 or so, and don't have to wait in line and hope that any old stock 2012 boxes are grabbed before you get there. BUT once again, you really need to have one of those credit cards to do this.

FYI....I posted that you can just pick up a second 3ds during the sale, and return the non 2012 version as the "non-sale" 3ds. HOWEVER, Target's receipt shows the serial number of the 3ds box, so if you switched them, they would probably notice in the computer system upon return, and deny the return. So that method is probably not going to work reasonably.

olfa

Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
anyone already sent back a 3ds to amazon because of firmware > 4.5 ?
do they refund it back quickly ?

illicit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone actually opened anything higher than 4.5 out of the box? im talking about the regular red and blue xls, maybe even pink. i know animal crossing, pokemon, and all black models are higher but all red and blues should be at 4.3

this is USA region btw

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, anyone tried updating using Gateway..?
My firmware is 1.1 & us region 3DS.
Asking because I live in a very far away country. And there are barely any 3DS user...

You can update with the Gateway but you have to be on 4.1+ to get the Gateway to boot. It is not recomended as if something goes wrong during the firmware update you have a nice shiny brick on your hands. Check the available lists of games that have 4.x updates on them and try to get your hands on the cheapest one you can find for your region.

One point of interest...I updated a v1.0 launch 3DS with Luigi's DM to 4.5 and it does not install the web browser. So it works fine with Gateway but there is no web function....

Bought two all black 3ds here in the uk marked ©2013 both on 4.5.0.10e Got lucky.

Nice....I take it those were standard 3DS and not XL units right? I am pretty sure all the black XL units ship with 5.x on them (at least in the USA).

has anyone actually opened anything higher than 4.5 out of the box? im talking about the regular red and blue xls, maybe even pink. i know animal crossing, pokemon, and all black models are higher but all red and blues should be at 4.3

this is USA region btw

Every red/black or blue/black I have checked at stores has been 2012 on the box. I wonder if that color is being produced any longer as all the XL units made this year seem to be pink/black/AC SE/Pokemon SE/Zelda LBW SE.

The red/black and blue/black units are still out there but are starting to dry up so I would try to get one now because I believe after xmas they will be gone and then Nintendo will either drop those colors or drop a new production run that will not be 4.x. I got one just last week at Meijers that had 2012 on the box and it was on 4.3. Just play dumb with the clerk and ask if you can look at the 3DS. Meijer had a great deal with them going for $180 plus a 15% newpaper only coupon. I ended up getting it for $153. I got the last blue/black at that store but then was at a Meijer on the other side of town and they still had a number of blue/black and red/black units and they were all 2012. I honestly considered buying them out just to turn around and sell them on ebay next year for $300. Alas I have better things to do with my time than rip off would be Gateway users.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice....I take it those were standard 3DS and not XL units right? I am pretty sure all the black XL units ship with 5.x on them (at least in the USA).

Nope 3dsxl, i was surprised as well hence the second purchase (i was buying for a relative but after a firmware check i went back and bought another for myself) They where from a store called Argos here in the UK it was part of a deal with the 2 3ds Prof Layton games for £159

Yep, just double checked it definitely says copyright 2013 on the box.

Reactions: pelago

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Buddies, I am trying to bid this item.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-3D...1382528085?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a8790f855
do you think its good idea..? Is there any possibility this could be fake seller..? I just badly in need of an XL...T_T

You can update with the Gateway but you have to be on 4.1+ to get the Gateway to boot. It is not recomended as if something goes wrong during the firmware update you have a nice shiny brick on your hands. Check the available lists of games that have 4.x updates on them and try to get your hands on the cheapest one you can find for your region.

One point of interest...I updated a v1.0 launch 3DS with Luigi's DM to 4.5 and it does not install the web browser. So it works fine with Gateway but there is no web function....
thanks so much buddy...:)
I won't be doing anything silly with my old 3DS. I am hoping to get an XL with 4.5. I am searching for one in Ebay but I am badly frightened of fake seller as if they turned out to be fake, I will be screwed for good...T_T

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Buddies, I am trying to bid this item.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-3D...1382528085?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a8790f855
do you think its good idea..? Is there any possibility this could be fake seller..? I just badly in need of an XL...T_T
I won't be doing anything silly with my old 3DS. I am hoping to get an XL with 4.5. I am searching for one in Ebay but I am badly frightened of fake seller as if they turned out to be fake, I will be screwed for good...T_T

You can trust ebay, worse case you get the money back in 2 weeks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car