Hacking Question Where is the Difference between ReiNX and Atmosphére?

What CFW do you use?

• Total voters

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Emulation is illegal? Okay people apparently are getting retarded now.
Yes it is under certain condition. (BIOS downloading stuff, ROM,....tho some consider it ok for old consoles)

Using neither as of now, although I'm tempted by SX OS purely because of the jig and dongle bundle.
I would honestly buy a jig/dongle pack if possible (as I said before I'm not interested by the license). But would they really want to not to sell the license?

Last edited by mariogamer,

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I use SXOS. I use it for its' simplicity and clean design. I like how they incorporate improvements in a seemless fashion.

I get the haters "they make money off other people's work", but the product is the best available and a pleasure to use. As far as cost, well to be honest I like paying, I want to encourage more high quality products like this. If the other community developers would produce the same or higher quality I would be willing to pay for their's too.

If someone else takes their own code and packages it as nicely as TX did then id happily pay them. The way I look at it is I paid TX $40 for a high quality Jig, and an injector dongle, rest of the money was paid for the time they spent making a pretty package. Everyone else is welcome to doing it, and Im sure many will pay for the effort.

Reactions: Michael Morsette

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/quick-g...ates-dlc-with-devmenu-no-sx-os-needed.512337/
>install nsp files, games, updates, dlc, no sx os needed

We've been able to load .xci files since before SX OS came out, just extract the exefs and romfs and use LayeredFS. Whether we can load straight .xci files, I don't know. I am not paying attention to the piracy scene and neither is the team making Atmosphere because it is illegal and stupid.

I m not very sure about that, i think that sx OS come before layeredfs. Anyway one option works fine and the other works whenever it wants and if you are lucky with donor game.

I dont get the point of not acepting that sx os is the best option, apart from everything being integrated it allows you to boot hekate/atmosphere/reinx or whatever payload you need, so in my opinion its the most complete and convenient setup to date, and it's been since day 1.

Gimzie

professional moron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use SXOS. I use it for its' simplicity and clean design. I like how they incorporate improvements in a seemless fashion.

I get the haters "they make money off other people's work", but the product is the best available and a pleasure to use. As far as cost, well to be honest I like paying, I want to encourage more high quality products like this. If the other community developers would produce the same or higher quality I would be willing to pay for their's too.

If you like paying so much, why not pay and support the actual developers whose games you pirate?

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Emulation is illegal? Okay people apparently are getting retarded now.
"The argument that a videogame device manufacturer or a videogames developer can make against emulation is quite simple: emulation constitutes IP infringement, specifically infringement of copyright law and potentially of trademark law principles," says Purewal.

"IP law is not set up to recognise emulation, and consequently almost any type of emulation runs the risk of infringing IP law in some way, shape or form.

"In fact, it gets worse for emulators, because specific laws were passed in the 1990s and 2000s which were specifically designed to stop different types of piracy. But they also potentially stop emulation. These were called 'technological protection measures' or 'TPMs'. So many countries have TPMs as part of their IP law. And so, the basic IP law position, plus the specific legal changes introduced to combat piracy, all mean that the basic legal position is against emulators."

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/are-game-emulators-legal-1329264

And if that doesn't work they can just tie you up in court for so long you go bankrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!#Closure_of_Bleem!

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you like paying so much, why not pay and support the actual developers whose games you pirate?
Lol, thanks for the tip! Oh and I don't pirate... Well unless you count emulator ROMS for games from the 80s, then guilty as charged. Though I would point out that I have purchased rereleased 80s games like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros when Nintendo finally decided to let us.

I won't bother cucking too much for you though since I know how much you enjoy riding up on your morale high horse drool posting how "PIRATES SUX!!!!"

reymund602

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you like paying, you shouldn't have gotten Sx and got games

Reactions: Pluupy and AlexMCS

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you like paying, you shouldn't have gotten Sx and got games
Spend 30$ for unlimited games forever built buy a company that I know isn't going anywhere anytime soon, with more polish and ease of use than the source it was taken from or spend 13,000+$ on games that are only out now and don't provide try before you buy for most of them.

Hmmm, tough decision...

reymund602

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol so much ignorant drool posting today. Morons should read before they virtue signal with inane personal attacks.

I don't pirate Switch games, try adding something to the conversation.
You say that as you personally attack another hahaha and I never said I don't pirate. I'm only starting a fact, if someone prefers to pay why not actually pay for the games and support the developers. Without them you have no games to play

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You say that as you personally attack another hahaha and I never said I don't pirate. I'm only starting a fact, if someone prefers to pay why not actually pay for the games and support the developers. Without them you have no games to play
Who says people don't? I have physical games, the thing is most games you cannot try before purchasing and cannot return once opened. I've been screwed over too many times to waste my money now. If you don't let me try your game then I'm going to pirate it first.
If I like it, I usually buy it. The thing is, most games suck!

In fact I just recently (2 years ago) sent a 100$ donation to the creator of Scorched Earth, because I had so much fun playing it when I was a kid with my friends at school in the lab. It took over 2 decades but I made good on it, since I usually pirated stuff back then because I was a kid and didn't have money.

I'm sure there are other people with the same logic.

For anyone who's interested: http://www.whicken.com/scorch/
Can't wait for DosBOX NX.

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...am I not clear? I don't know my English is pretty poor sometimes. Or maybe your just speaking to the general public, even though your responding to a post of mine you quoted... I don't know, I'll try to be clearer. I admit I'm probably more irritated over this than is probably rational.. But hey, let's try this agian...

Your statement tried to point out that I don't pay for games and that I don't support developers. The insinuation is that I pirate games instead of paying for them; and since I pirate instead of purchasing games there will be fewer games because I don't support developers. But you see there is a hole in your logic, I don't pirate games. I don't have a single pirated Switch game in my possession. In fact I support developers a lot by purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of games. And thanks to SXOS I can do what I want with those games with ease. All my physical games I can painlessly use in digital format.

I guess I get overly annoyed at virtue signalers that throw out narratives that had already been addressed earlier in the same thread. But really it's stupid of me, I mean what's the point of getting pissed at at someone who can't even read? I should feel pity really not anger...

I'm sorry.

Last edited by Michael Morsette,

Gimzie

professional moron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, thanks for the tip! Oh and I don't pirate... Well unless you count emulator ROMS for games from the 80s, then guilty as charged. Though I would point out that I have purchased rereleased 80s games like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros when Nintendo finally decided to let us.

I won't bother cucking too much for you though since I know how much you enjoy riding up on your morale high horse drool posting how "PIRATES SUX!!!!"

Believe me, I've pirated my fair share of video games across all platforms, but I personally believe that especially with consoles like the Switch, piracy isn't really the best option.

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST

Last edited by Gimzie,

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some people don't seem to understand that you need only some good games to enjoy a console. Buy those and that's it?

I m not very sure about that, i think that sx OS come before layeredfs. Anyway one option works fine and the other works whenever it wants and if you are lucky with donor game.

I dont get the point of not acepting that sx os is the best option, apart from everything being integrated it allows you to boot hekate/atmosphere/reinx or whatever payload you need, so in my opinion its the most complete and convenient setup to date, and it's been since day 1.
First, payload booting/Linux booting is already implemented into Hekate internally.
Second: for me it's not so convenient (except for backups, but not everyone is interested in piracy). First they basically just packaged some open source gpl homebrew, and did nothing new except for sigpatches. Add on to the fact it is a closed source payload running on the highest privilege state on you're switch...

And last but not the least:LAYERED FS WAS NEVER DESIGNED AS A PIRACY TOOL! (people still don't get, sorry I get angry at that one)

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The argument that a videogame device manufacturer or a videogames developer can make against emulation is quite simple: emulation constitutes IP infringement, specifically infringement of copyright law and potentially of trademark law principles," says Purewal.

"IP law is not set up to recognise emulation, and consequently almost any type of emulation runs the risk of infringing IP law in some way, shape or form.

"In fact, it gets worse for emulators, because specific laws were passed in the 1990s and 2000s which were specifically designed to stop different types of piracy. But they also potentially stop emulation. These were called 'technological protection measures' or 'TPMs'. So many countries have TPMs as part of their IP law. And so, the basic IP law position, plus the specific legal changes introduced to combat piracy, all mean that the basic legal position is against emulators."

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/are-game-emulators-legal-1329264

And if that doesn't work they can just tie you up in court for so long you go bankrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!#Closure_of_Bleem!

the only reason bleem went down was cause it was being sold (in stores not just the internet as a download) and after bleem most emulator developers usually don't sell their work donation is accepted though

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Making money off open source / free software is okay, it's completely legal, what is not legal is breaking the license you agreed to when using software, which aparently SXOS does.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the only reason bleem went down was cause it was being sold (in stores not just the internet as a download) and after bleem most emulator developers usually don't sell their work donation is accepted though
Commercially selling emulators is fully legal in 99% of the world, as long as they have been developed by using clean room reverse engineering, and law generally has provisions for such a thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@