Hacking Question Where is the Difference between ReiNX and Atmosphére?

What CFW do you use?

• Total voters

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Making money off open source / free software is okay, it's completely legal, what is not legal is breaking the license you agreed to when using software, which aparently SXOS does.

Wow your facts are waaaaay off.

For example, GPL2

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

I suggest you do some research before making such blatantly ignorant and false statements.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Wow your facts are waaaaay off.

For example, GPL2

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

I suggest you do some research before making such blatantly ignorant and false statements.

From the GPLv2 prelude:

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From the GPLv2 prelude:

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

Yes you are correct, you are FREE to get the source and change it and distribute it. You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

But as section 2 subsection b states, you cannot sell it and you must provide the source.

I suggest you read more than just the prelude.

Now if it was under BSD licensing you could do whatever you want. Steal the code, make it proprietary and charge a fortune for it.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: BL4Z3D247

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes you are correct, you are FREE to get the source and change it and distribute it. You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

But as section 2 subsection b states, you cannot sell it.

I suggest you read more than just the prelude.

Section 2 b does not state that selling the software is not allowed, it refers to the licensing itself, that you cannot charge to obtain the software under the gplv2 license, instead it must always be licensed under the gplv2 license.

This ensures that all derivatives are licensed under the same license.

Software that disallows selling is not open source / free software.

What the GPL disallows is from taking the code and making it proprietary.

Last edited by EIREXE,

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Section 2 b does not state that selling the software is not allowed, it refers to the licensing itself, that you cannot charge to obtain the software under the gplv2 license, instead it must always be licensed under the gplv2 license.

Software that disallows selling is not open source / free software.

Sure you could charge a fee for letting someone download it, but you have to give them the source and all rights to it. That is distribution.

For example, what TX is doing is "selling their closed source copy of open source software".
Technically, they could charge a fee for downloading it but, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.

TX are in violation of any GPL2 code they have used.

They are "selling" it, not "distributing" it.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people don't seem to understand that you need only some good games to enjoy a console. Buy those and that's it?

First, payload booting/Linux booting is already implemented into Hekate internally.
Second: for me it's not so convenient (except for backups, but not everyone is interested in piracy). First they basically just packaged some open source gpl homebrew, and did nothing new except for sigpatches. Add on to the fact it is a closed source payload running on the highest privilege state on you're switch...

And last but not the least:LAYERED FS WAS NEVER DESIGNED AS A PIRACY TOOL! (people still don't get, sorry I get angry at that one)

Sx os implemented chainloading since day one. TBF I have sx pro because I can and I want an unlocked console. The games that I own are enough for me.

I don't mind running high privileged closed software on my switch. A console is a recreational device and it doesn't have sensitive information such a a phone or computer.

Regarding to license issues, I believe in GPL license. But some other people believe in copyright too and all cfw options allow you to circunvent it, even without sigpatches.

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sure you could charge a fee for letting someone download it, but you have to give them the source and all rights to it. That is distribution.

For example, what TX is doing is "selling their closed source copy of open source software".
Technically, they could charge a fee for downloading it but, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.

TX are in violation of any GPL2 code they have used.

They are "selling" it, not "distributing" it.

Correct, selling involves distribution, TX is indeed in violation of the license they agreed (the GPLv2) so they could be sued, and hopefully they will, as a person who has contributed to many free software projects nothing makes more angry than people not respecting the license.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Regarding to license issues, I believe in GPL license. But some other people believe in copyright too and all cfw options allow you to circunvent it, even without sigpatches.

Using a license such as the GPL does not release the product into the public domain, you still retain copyright over it, you just give your users certain rights, just like with any other software license.

What TX has done is a copyright violation by incorporating software licensed under the GPLv2 into a proprietary program and then distributing it to users.

Last edited by EIREXE,
Reactions: mariogamer

Clapmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I could understand the hate if TX was asking $80-$100 but $40 for the whole shebang in a neatly wrapped tight little package. I wipe my ass on $40 every other day. Go mow a lawn or 2 and you got a SX Pro.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean I could understand the hate if TX was asking $80-$100 but $40 for the whole shebang in a neatly wrapped tight little package. I wipe my ass on $40 every other day. Go mow a lawn or 2 and you got a SX Pro.
I just used the change scrounged up from under my car seats...

It's cool to hate
It's also easier to hate and be ignorant when you don't fully understand something.
Plus the stupid mob mentality.

Bullsquid

Trophies
XP
Country
I use Atmosphere for now, because in the current state is has more features implemented that I'm interested in.
  • LayeredFS
  • Signature patches
  • Homebrew launcher
  • Modular boot config with hekate
  • Doesn't crash and is pretty stable.
I wanted to use ReiNX at first, but LayeredFS isn't working there yet, and then sigpatches came to Atmosphere, to which I already got used to.

SX OS cost money, and the only feature it currently has that no other CFW has is XCI loader. However I prefer to install my backups to the console, so I don't care about this feature.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF are kips?

Emulation is not illegal. Unless you're using ROMs you don't own.

I m not sure about that, it depends on your local regulations. Where I live its allowed to have your own private copy, but it s not the case everywhere.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

(yes, if you read my posts I was mocking them for saying that the Switch scene is stupid and illegal)
Emulation is not illegal, using copyrighted ROMs is. And Nintendo is prosecuting websites that distribute their old roms right now.

It would be cool to know how many users from here are able to dump their nes, SNES, n64, GC ... Roms and play them on other devices. It seems quite limited and what most people are apparently doing is pirating old systems. It s not bad if it s abandonware because no one will claim anything.

Last edited by xabier,

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There's nothing wrong with charging for the thing, the problem is using other people's work while (aparently) violating their license.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing wrong with charging for the thing, the problem is using other people's work while (aparently) violating their license.
If you don't want your code stolen, keep it closed-source. Simple as that. Y'all acting like Gateway didn't pull the same bullshit.

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you don't want your code stolen, keep it closed-source. Simple as that. Y'all acting like Gateway didn't pull the same bullshit.

No, the correct would be, if you don't want to have legal trouble, don't break someone else's license when you use their code.

I don't know what gateway did, I wasn't around, but if they did the same then it's as bad.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It can still be decompiled and disassembled or even reverse engineered. I'd say your best bet is to keep it to yourself, offline, on an old floppy, in your closet.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
No, the correct would be, if you don't want to have legal trouble, don't break someone else's license when you use their code.

I don't know what gateway did, I wasn't around, but if they did the same then it's as bad.
Gateway stole, packaged, and re-released A9LH as their own thing in a free update.

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Gateway stole, packaged, and re-released A9LH as their own thing in a free update.

Did they provide the source code to anyone that asked? If they didn't they are in violation of the A9LH license, which is also the gplv2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission