Hacking Question Where is the Difference between ReiNX and Atmosphére?

What CFW do you use?

• Total voters

rrocha

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've tried mostly everything that came out until now and I recently forked out for the SX OS license solely for the convenience of it having everything integrated. I also prefer the XCI mounting on a more personal side.
Yes, it sucks that they steal some of the open source projects and the very least they could have done was to acknowledge the developers' work. But the sheer fact that they make money out of it and that its main purpose is piracy makes me think that the original developers are glad to be out of Nintendo's spotlight.

I've been following all the developments very closely and I'll gladly ditch SX OS once other CFWs reach feature parity together with ease of use.
Messing around with LayerFS, having multiple apps to achieve the results plus the time and patience needed for it makes the 25 bucks worth it in my case, even acknowledging all the gripes I have against Team Xecuter.

In the end of the day, there's a choice for everyone:
* If you aim solely for homebrew, both hekate+atmosphere bits or ReyNX are a perfect fit
* if you want to run some "backups", you have both the above options supporting NSP format with sigpatches together with a couple of helper apps
* there's LayerFS that can be a little bit troublesome at times, but works good in general for the majority of the needs
* if you want the convenience of a all-in-one package, you can afford it and can get past the "hate" or moral intricacies around TX, maybe SX OS is the right choice for you

Just my 2 cents
Peace

Last edited by rrocha,

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not about feeling better or worse, it's about law.

When is it about law? While you're in this hacking forum about CFW (reimplementation of licensed software with unauthorized access)? While you're illegally emulating? While you're running illegal XCIs? Installing illegal NSPs? Which part is about law brother? You seem like a person that would say "All I do is use Checkpoint" lol, yeah OK.

Last edited by Gootah,
Reactions: Michael Morsette

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried mostly everything that came out until now and I recently forked out for the SX OS license solely for the convenience of it having everything integrated. I also prefer the XCI mounting on a more personal side.
Yes, it sucks that they steal some of the open source projects and the very least they could have done was to acknowledge the developers' work. But the sheer fact that they make money out of it and that its main purpose is piracy makes me think that the original developers are glad to be out of Nintendo's spotlight.

I've been following all the developments very closely and I'll gladly ditch SX OS once other CFWs reach feature parity together with ease of use.
Messing around with LayerFS, having multiple apps to achieve the results plus the time and patience needed for it makes the 25 bucks worth it in my case, even acknowledging all the gripes I have against Team Xecuter.

In the end of the day, there's a choice for everyone:
* If you aim solely for homebrew, both hekate+atmosphere bits or ReyNX are a perfect fit
* if you want to run some "backups", you have both the above options supporting NSP format with sigpatches together with a couple of helper apps
* there's LayerFS that can be a little bit troublesome at times, but works good in general for the majority of the needs
* if you want the convenience of a all-in-one package, you can afford it and can get past the "hate" or moral intricacies around TX, maybe SX OS is the right choice for you

Just my 2 cents
Peace

These are facts! Don't get me wrong, I love community projects and the devs that give us great tools and software. I'm not saying TX is better for any reason. I'm just wondering what all the consumer hate is about. When you buy a piece of tech you never condemn the manufacturer for not giving credit to the earth for producing the metal. When people share they get shafted, this is a fact. This is why copyright laws even exist. This case is no different. Go thank the FreeBSD devs for your game consoles! lol

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When is it about law? While you're in this hacking forum about CFW (reimplementation of licensed software with unauthorized access)? While you're illegally emulating? While you're running illegal XCIs? Installing illegal NSPs? Which part is about law brother? You seem like a person that would say "All I do is use Checkpoint" lol, yeah OK.
Reimplementing isn't illegal. Some country require the reverse engineerer and the implementer to be different person, but I think that's it.
XCI and nsp are out of the question.
The gpl is about law.

These are facts! Don't get me wrong, I love community projects and the devs that give us great tools and software. I'm not saying TX is better for any reason. I'm just wondering what all the consumer hate is about. When you buy a piece of tech you never condemn the manufacturer for not giving credit to the earth for producing the metal. When people share they get shafted, this is a fact. This is why copyright laws even exist. This case is no different. Go thank the FreeBSD devs for your game consoles! lol
This isn't even a comparison. Even tho I would agree some things are completely messed up, open source license seems to be ignored by a lot of people. I don't even see why you'd put in [insert oss project] here.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At the moment, ReiNX is just like Hekate + some parts of atmos. Literally no functional difference. Other than the source code and splash screen, they are the same thing for the end user.
Hekate + Atm with LayeredFS support is more complete.

Later, who knows...

Reactions: mariogamer

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At the moment, ReiNX is just like Hekate + some parts of atmos. Literally no functional difference. Other than the source code and splash screen, they are the same thing for the end user.
Hekate + Atm with LayeredFS support is more complete.

Later, who knows...
That's what I'm saying, and why it shouldn' t have been teased as a full cfw in the first place.
Both will make their own custom module,but atmosphere has more stuff re implemented.

jasonrye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not relevant, one thing is breaking the law privately for whatever reason (due to being poor, for example), and another thing is stealing from a community project of volunteers who make their work available with very easy to follow restrictions.

Yea, one is a person stealing something with a price tag from a company which needs to pay their employees, and the other is people stealing something which is free made by volunteers who should be expecting to receive nothing in return.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So other than SX OS (I'm cheap) does anyone know of a method that lets you install DLC/Updates you don't own?
I know there is an NSP for DevMenu so it is possible to access in ReiNX w/ Sigpatches but I'm guessing it still gets errors during installation?
Hekate by default is really anal about piracy, at least those co-working things into it are. So 100% chance it wont do it then.
Tinfoil can be used on Hekate, so it literally is possible? At least I started it up on Hekate and installed something Devmenu wouldn't...
(Tinfoil is currently my favourite choice for hoping with support of installing them, suggesting there isn't already another way).

So really is there a way, one which someone could privately give me access to if they can't just post it lol.

Last edited by Ian095,

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whats up with the hate vs ScireM? You can like him or not, but the work he is doing is quite amazing..
Nothing like this hacky ReiNX that you call "cfw" lol

Also, please stop this useless "OMG TX STOLE TEH CODE" discussion. It's everywhere. Yeah it's bad, no one cares.

D

Deleted User

Whats up with the hate vs ScireM? You can like him or not, but the work he is doing is quite amazing..
Nothing like this hacky ReiNX that you call "cfw" lol

Also, please stop this useless "OMG TX STOLE TEH CODE" discussion. It's everywhere. Yeah it's bad, no one cares.
Plz don't interrupt tea time, good sir.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, the purpose of Atmosphere is to completely rewrite Horizon OS for the needs of the hacking community. This is why it is called atmosphere, in reference to the many layers of the earth's atmosphere being compared to the Switch levels of security. ReiNX and SX are just patches on top of Horizon.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

In the end, Atmosphere is technically the best option... if it happens. I don't believe this bullshit that one is cleaner than the other. For all three you use the same fucking method of hacking your Switch via RCM.

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the main problem with screaming "who cares its stolen? who cares if they didn't give reswitched credit?" is that these people worked hard and developed something you personally use. you are not exactly encouraging them to keep helping you. also, if you aren't capable of appreciating things you will not go far in life and is indicative of why nobody likes you.

Last edited by machinoman,
Reactions: [Truth]

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Except the company this is about is only in for the fast buck by stealing code and enabling piracy. They just want easy money and don't care at all, which is not that strange in this grey area.
This isn't like the candycrush saga drama. Everyone knew someone would steal the code and no one did anything about it or cared before they started selling, so don't start crying about it after.
Also, of course you don't give credit after you steal something lol

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Lol all these white knights pasting GPL terms on a forum about hacking. If you feel so strongly about it, by all means vote with your wallet (and brain), dont pay TX, instead use all that freely available GPL source and make your own package and distribute it the proper way that is in accordance with GPL, that will surely destroy TX's business and make you happy right? But if you were to spend all that effort (possibly months of everyday work) you would want to get paid for your time wouldnt you? Its not just copy pasta the GPL code.

The problem is that the people that say this stuff are backseat programmers that are just pissed they dont get it for free. If I were to support any hacking team over the last 20+ years, it would be TX. Without them we wouldnt have half the awesome stuff we have on Xbox. They have been around for decades and have always delivered very solid products. They basically do what Blizzard does. Someone else comes up with an idea, they take it and package it in a nice package and sell it. There is effort involved in that and we happily pay them for that effort. Sure they use other's code, but there is plenty of their own code in there too.

Also lets not pretend they just copy pasted GPL code and are selling it (like burning a disc or something), no man, they had to spend time and effort in making it all work together and be presentable in a nice package. That kind of work is not free. They gotta eat too, if they were doing this for free they would elect to go do something else that would put food on their table. They arent charity.

So can we please stop with this GPL crap? If they used your code, do what I do (with my tools I dont release source) if you care that much. If you are some backseat driver that is just jumping on the bandwagon because you want everything free. Then please just stop, you arent convincing anyone and are just creating needless white noise. ive been buying TX products for over 10 years now and have always had good experience.

Last edited by Chrushev,
Reactions: Gootah

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reimplementing isn't illegal. Some country require the reverse engineerer and the implementer to be different person, but I think that's it.
XCI and nsp are out of the question.
The gpl is about law.

This isn't even a comparison. Even tho I would agree some things are completely messed up, open source license seems to be ignored by a lot of people. I don't even see why you'd put in [insert oss project] here.

When you find your mind let me know. Any unauthorized use of licensed material is illegal. The comparison is absolutely solid. People who share get shafted, that's the point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: