Where does the quicklaunch menu grab its icons from? It's not the same spot as where the home menu pulls from.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is a small things that's kinda bothered me for awhile after moving to Tiramisu months and months ago. Any app that I ever changed the icon to for the home menu via FTP after I had initially installed it, if that app appears in my quicklaunch menu, it actually only shows the original icon that app was installed with. While the home menu still shows the app icon I had replaced that initial icon with. I'd love to know where the quicklaunch icons are stored and update any of them behaving this way to the versions I use in the home menu.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
AFAIK they are stored in the gamepad itself. Let me do some quick research... No, can't find it real quick... But search wiiu-envs GitHub for more informations (both, Tiramisu and Aroma are QuickLaunch compatible and IIRC they hack deeply into DRC communication to do this).

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK they are stored in the gamepad itself. Let me do some quick research... No, can't find it real quick... But search wiiu-envs GitHub for more informations (both, Tiramisu and Aroma are QuickLaunch compatible and IIRC they hack deeply into DRC communication to do this).
You just blew my mind, I didn't realize anything gets stored in the GamePad itself, though now that I think about it, I suppose some small game data could be saved directly into Wiimotes, so it shouldn't be that surprising now that I think about it.

Are we able to navigate DRC data via FTP? I'm thinking their might be a directory for that which we can see, but I never really paid attention to all the directories in root of the FTP, gonna go check it out now.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
See, the quicklaunch menu is a program running exclusively on the gamepad. The Wii U is simply awaiting for some quicklaunch command or defaulting to the wii menu while booting.

Due to this special nature, Wii U titles have special memory regions having the gamepad code for the quicklaunch menu. These special memory regions get copied/updated/removed to the gamepad flash during a gamepad sync (this is when the wii u led goes yellow when not in use) and have the title command, params and graphic stored in there for the quicklaunch menu to use during operation.

TL;DR: Quicklaunch graphic is stored elsewhere in the installed title, they are different.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
I'd believe what you can do is turn off quick launch, let the gamepad memory clear up, and then turn on quick launch again. I'd see no reason for why that wouldn't work. Odds are the gamepad only get's it's images once per title id at quick launch setup, and just assumes that it never changes unless specifically told it did?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, the quicklaunch menu is a program running exclusively on the gamepad. The Wii U is simply awaiting for some quicklaunch command or defaulting to the wii menu while booting.

Due to this special nature, Wii U titles have special memory regions having the gamepad code for the quicklaunch menu. These special memory regions get copied/updated/removed to the gamepad flash during a gamepad sync (this is when the wii u led goes yellow when not in use) and have the title command, params and graphic stored in there for the quicklaunch menu to use during operation.

TL;DR: Quicklaunch graphic is stored elsewhere in the installed title, they are different.
I see, so if I can force my GamePad to update with a GamePad sync would this update the quicklaunch icons to match those on the home menu? And follow up question, is there anyway to force such a GamePad sync?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd believe what you can do is turn off quick launch, let the gamepad memory clear up, and then turn on quick launch again. I'd see no reason for why that wouldn't work. Odds are the gamepad only get's it's images once per title id at quick launch setup
Nah, from the day I re-enabled quicklaunch after moving to Tiramisu, icons I had updated long ago via FTP still reverted to their original installed versions on the Gamepad.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I see, so if I can force my GamePad to update with a GamePad sync would this update the quicklaunch icons to match those on the home menu? And follow up question, is there anyway to force such a GamePad sync?

The system will do the sync a couple of times a day and will do a delta check to see if something changed. No need to force it but it is mandatory for you if you really want to get it changed to find the quicklaunch blob in the installed target title and change that graphic in the Wii U hdd (and fix title checksums and everything afterwards). In theory and if everything is correct, the sync will correct the quicklaunch for you in the same way right now it is reverting it to the original graphic.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system will do the sync a couple of times a day and will do a delta check to see if something changed. No need to force it but it is mandatory for you if you really want to get it changed to find the quicklaunch blob in the installed target title and change that graphic in the Wii U hdd (and fix title checksums and everything afterwards). In theory and if everything is correct, the sync will correct the quicklaunch for you in the same way right now it is reverting it to the original graphic.
Oh don't worry about it anymore, following the recommendation of @NinStar and deleting that one particular file was indeed the key.

Reactions: Urbanshadow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one