When will Gateway 3DS start playing multiple games on a microchip?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pokemon7890, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Pokemon7890
    OP

Pokemon7890 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2013
    Canada
    I was wondering if anyone knew if Gateway 3DS would be playing multiple games on a single microchip without having to switch the rom file on a computer? Please post if you know any info!

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    If they knew, it'd likely be on their site.

And if they don't know, how the hell would anybody else know?

Langin, Jiehfeng, gamefan5 and 13 others like this.
  3. Rockstead

Rockstead GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2013
    Canada
    I can't blame you for asking, I just recently got my 3DS knowing there was a flashcart, never imagining there would be a 1 3DS game to 1 SD card limit, it made me hold off on my order of the Gateway, I'm sure many others as well.

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I still don't understand 3ds flash carts, 1 cartridge for one game at least 16 gb micro sd and we're are you suppose to get the roms your self dump them or something.

5. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    well gateway said they were working on a multi rom loader and that it would be released after the gateway
    and juding from all the kept promises and other updates gateway has so far delivered on ,and by all the news of unsigned code being run i would say that it cant be too far off now
    i think gateway was promising a multi rom loader before even multiregion support

6. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    you cant dump roms right now, only scene release groups can do that right now ,you have to DL them

if gateway is to be viable for the future and not become obsolete it will have to support higher capacity SDxc cards , for a multi rom loader to be really viable ,and AFAIk nobody has tested a 64gig card with GW yet, so nobody knows for sure if it will support xc

7. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    When they do figure out a way to do a multi-rom loader, you'll probably want to buy at least a 64GB SDXC card, or larger, to put all your roms on. If it can't support SDXC, I'd rather wait for a cart that does.

8. PercentSevenC

PercentSevenC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I'd like a multi-ROM loader for the sake of convenience, but it's not that big a deal. I've got four old microSDs that I'm not using for anything else, and it's unlikely I'd want to be playing more than four games at a time. It only takes a few minutes to write a ROM image anyway.

9. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.

He's just asking. Who knows? :)
    Maybe someone emailed them, and they responded honestly? Could happen! :D

10. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    Microchip. What is this? An 80s spy movie?

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  11. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    MUH mike rah ship LOL

12. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Well, first of:
    Congrats!
    It's been five years of you being a member of this forum.
    Second:
    AGREED.

13. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    I don't understand why people keep saying this. Most 3ds roms I have downloaded are only 500mb. the largest I've seen is 1gb. Even pokemon x and y are only going to be 1.7gb. So a 16 or 32gb micro sd is plenty of space.

joepassive likes this.
  14. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    I thought someone said that some games are 8gb. Are we talking gigabits or gigabytes?

15. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    oh look, it's another "when will gateway 3DS be able to [insert feature here]" threads. :glare:

this is like asking when a "Gateway 3DS Homebrew N64 Emulator will be released"....

when they get it. they get it. until that time. it's bullshit speculation that will get nowhere. Enjoy what the Gateway can do now at this point so early on in the 3DS's lifecycle

16. PercentSevenC

PercentSevenC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    3DS carts can go up to 8 GB (64 Gb), but nothing dumped so far is bigger than 4 GB (32 Gb).

So the fewest games you could fit on a theoretical multi-ROM Gateway with a 32 GB microSD is three (four with a little trimming), but it's likely to be quite a lot more because games larger than 2 GB are rare and a lot of games can be trimmed way down (DKC, for example, is on a 4 GB card but the trimmed size is only 2.18 GB).

17. johnnywalker

johnnywalker GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2006
    Poland
    One game per GW can make you patient enough to play every game in 100%, to enjoy it. If you had many roms on microSD, you would be bored fast, just like it usually is when talking about multirom cartridges.

18. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Maybe tomorrow, maybe never?

19. Rockstead

Rockstead GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2013
    Canada

No way is this the same as requesting a feature, this falls in to the category where you purchased a Gateway and y ou're just blown away by the fact that you need 1 SD card for every 3DS game, whatever, I don't care if you tell me it's in their FAQ (I'm assuming it is), that's small print.

It's a basic function, I wouldn't consider it a bell and whistle.

Hopefully the Gateway people look at these threads, although I can't blame them for skipping over one titled "Microchip", OP you gotta edit that :)

Seriously, I think there are two large customer bases they are not tapping, 1 being people with firmware greater than 4.5, okay we know that won't come easy, but cmon, put out the multi rom support and you will increase sales and make your current customer base very happy and loyal.

20. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    You have to get it up to level 27 and depending on its mood, stats, and time of day determines what happens. If its unhappy or unimpressed by you as a trainer, and its at night time, there is a good chance you'll end up with a chinese clone R4 on your hands.

henn64, Ammako and McHaggis like this.