Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm atheist. Used to be catholic, but when I was twelve I was like "wait... this whole thing doesn't make sense" and I started thinking more about it and stopped believing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nathan Drake said:
I was the one who said it, and stating that I am in a thread regarding religion is saying that I don't actually have a religion. Atheism on its own though, isn't a religion. A religion is belief in a deity of some kind with a system of beliefs to go with it. Atheism defies this by denying a deity figure entirely, thus having no religious beliefs for lack of a figure to base them around. You can't have beliefs by not having beliefs. That's akin to doing by not doing. Atheism, in my mind at least, is just a more complicated way of saying that you have no religion.

It holds its place in a topic of religion to show that not everybody necessarily has one. In the ice cream example; if you can back up why you dislike ice cream, you have established your position in that conversation.

Edit: Biased isn't really the right word for it, but an opposing view, if backed up, still has a place. You can't deny it because you don't like it.

Just to be a bastard- some variations on neo paganism also explicitly or effectively denounce supernatural beings/deities (others might actually effectively deify some of the notable entities from Celtic, Norse or Finnish/Estonian folklore)... granted this tends to cause issues when it comes to being classified as a religion by tax or charity law but depending on the person you are speaking to that is somewhat irrelevant (do governments have the ability to call things?). Whether they fall under the banner of atheism is then surely open to debate. Speaking of debate lots with a piece to say on such matters really need to refine their debate skills (not necessarily picking on "circular" debating skills either).

Me- There have been other and better threads for such discussion so I will keep it short- I have many misgivings about many things concerning a great many aspects of religion (I made it a point to read just about every one of major (and many minor) religious works be it actual magic book or some theory based upon/around it) but in the end I have more important things to be getting on with right up to and including things like the question of am I in need of food at this point in time?
If pressed it probably ends up as historically it might have been useful especially in things like the fall of the Roman empire (spreading of literacy after that happened and the like) and quite a bit of Asian and African history but there are a great many detractors then and to this day which renders the whole arrangement less than agreeable (I find some of the split legal systems and resulting arrangements of rights in some Asian countries quite interesting). I might not go so far as to say possession of a religion is a negative in a person but I have yet to find a case of it being an outright positive.

I do however take great delight in winding up any religious types that take pains to engage me on such matters- regarding the people that knock at my door that is one thing but when they (and such things are condoned at higher levels) attempt to apply a measure of psychology, sales techniques or worse high pressure sales techniques and then when they deliberately target those that might be receptive to such techniques or on the flip side use them to retain people or influence things (not attempting to pick on any one thing but a lot of the Roman Catholic policy on things like condoms and AIDS) that does a serious disservice to any civility I might be inclined to show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJynygnjMC0...eEg&index=3

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
[censored]/kid [censored], murderer, children that dies at birth, war, greed, torture and so on....
Q: Do you believe in a god?
A: No.

Q: Do you believe in the occult?
A: Somewhat.

Q: Do you think there is a Satan?
A: No.

Q: Do you believe in supernaturality?
A: Yes

Q: Do you believe in science?
A: Yes, but science is limited to the nature of the human.

EDIT: since when did we get a censor filter? =O

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont remember the word but it was between Atheist and those religions that believe in god.
Unless someone proves indefinetely that there is a god, and by prove i mean that either a real angel or god himself shows them selves to me, im stuck here.
Otherwise Atheist.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agnostic... Yes, it means I am indecisive, and refuse to narrow down a belief structure. The long and short of it is that as mere dumb mortals we know jack crap about the universe beyond our own narrow little view. I think faith is great, as it gives people something to believe in, and hope that they fit into the grand scheme of the universe thanks to dad, mom, or a whole host of other words used to describe their "god" or "gods." In the end, I have always found that religion exists solely as a power grab within a community of one sort or another. That doesn't make religion bad by design, just different from how I kinda like to see faith on the whole. I suppose that's enough rambling.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
klim28 said:
Roman Catholic... and very proud to be one.

Hi, Can you explain to me why you are proud to be one ? I have seen Roman Catholic broken God's law:

http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/romanc...mmandments.html

Bible Ten Commandments:

QUOTE said:
Exodus 20:4-6 You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my Commandments.

Catholic Ten Commandments:

QUOTE said:
2. Leviticus 26:1
“You shall make you NO IDOLS nor GRAVEN IMAGE. Neither rear you up a STANDING IMAGE. Neither shall ye set up any IMAGE OF STONE in your land to bow down unto it.”

Do Catholics rear up STANDING IMAGES? Yes.
Do Catholics set up any IMAGE OF STONE? Yes.

Nonsense. They should follow God's law that you shall not make for yourself an idol of anything!

QUOTE3. Deuteronomy 4:16
“Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and MAKE you a GRAVEN IMAGE, the similitude of ANY FIGURE, the likeness of MALE or FEMALE.”

Do Catholics make graven images of MALE or FEMALE? Yes. Mary is a female. Jesus and the apostles are males.

See ? I was Catholic until I leave the church. You shall follow Bible book and not those churches.

Every Catholic institution has images of Mary, Jesus and male and female figures. An example of this are two statues at the French Papal Palace of Avignon, one of Jesus about 20 metres above ground level, and the other is an enormous statue of Mary, much larger, grander and higher up than that of Jesus. This gives the greater honour to Mary than Jesus. It also clearly breaks the second Commandment forbidding making images of things in heaven.

Who do we believe, the Word of God or the Catholic Church? “We ought to obey God, rather than men.” Acts 5:29

Hope it helps you.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: