I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
Densetsu9000 said:
awssk8er said:
I think every "Organized" religion is bullshit and a scam, but I just don't talk about religion because it ends up in fighting.
I wouldn't exactly say that, because I do know some people who really have changed for the better after finding a path. It gets bad when people take religions out of context, but in those cases where religion makes someone a better person, it's definitely a good thing.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought of that too before posting that, but whatever.

I don't know. I just feel like people take religion waaaay too seriously.
That reminds me of my cousin's parents taking all of his pokemon stuff and throwing it away because the original name was Pocket Monsters. They were very religious.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tagzard said:
if people dont want to listen we dont mind people saying im sorry im not interested. its that simple
But it still a bother to people. I do not see the need to bother people when you can just put a well place flyer/booklet.
I seen
tongue.gif
jehovahs witness do it.

The manner of something done can help change minds.

Ok done.
tongue.gif

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
tagzard said:
if people dont want to listen we dont mind people saying im sorry im not interested. its that simple
But it still a bother to people. I do not see the need to bother people when you can just put a well place flyer/booklet.
I seen
tongue.gif
jehovahs witness do it.

The manner of something done can help change minds.

Ok done.
tongue.gif
I have plenty of people who dress up and walk into my neighborhood to try to get us into Christianity, and while I do find them friendly and nice, I also find it pretty annoying at some points.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a related note, some church in my town was protesting abortion. We have no abortion clinics and maybe ten non-christians, total. People take this way too seriously.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
RoboticBuddy said:
klim28 said:
Roman Catholic... and very proud to be one.
Same here, it must be the Filipino part of us.
Erm.. nope. Given up on it. But I haven't yet had a friend that wasn't Roman Catholic, nearly all of them are. Eh.. Filipino Culture I guess. I respect it, although I pretend to be "one of them" just because I go to a Catholic School, although not a very strict one since they allow homosexuals and people from other religions.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm a Platonist. Though that it isn't a religion in the "traditional" sense, I do personally find it to be a spiritual affair.

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Funny how the post showing the fallacy in an atheist's argument (not even about God) was the only one removed from this thread. The only one. Yeah, that happens a lot when people can't back up an argument, they censor you, or have someone else censor you. It doesn't make a strong case for atheism, does it?

Why am I even replying? I've said far more "offensive" things in the past when this website wasn't moderated by idealogical bullies.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
RoboticBuddy said:
klim28 said:
Roman Catholic... and very proud to be one.
Same here, it must be the Filipino part of us.
Erm.. nope. Given up on it. But I haven't yet had a friend that wasn't Roman Catholic, nearly all of them are. Eh.. Filipino Culture I guess. I respect it, although I pretend to be "one of them" just because I go to a Catholic School, although not a very strict one since they allow homosexuals and people from other religions.
Allowing homosexuals and people from other religions could be seen as strict. Wouldn't that be discrimination if the didn't?

Idk much about (anything about
tongue.gif
) Roman Catholic ,but wouldn't discrimination towards them be against their teachings?

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cruddybuddy said:
Funny how the post showing the fallacy in an atheist's argument (not even about God) was the only one removed from this thread. The only one. Yeah, that happens a lot when people can't back up an argument, they censor you, or have someone else censor you. It doesn't make a strong case for atheism, does it?

Why am I even replying? I've said far more "offensive" things in the past when this website wasn't moderated by idealogical bullies.

Cruddy you're still alive
ohmy.gif

I haven't seen you around in awhile man. Just Between me and you, you've always been my personal favorite amongst the many GBAtemp trolls. (Of course, don't tell Urza I said that)

With that said, I'm not sure if your being serious or not right now...?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
cruddybuddy said:

You act as if atheism has a one of a kind meaning for people. I choose atheism, as I have no reason to believe in God or that there even is a God like entity. I don't need it, and the times that I did, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose atheism knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Pure Land Buddhist.
smile.gif

s4mid4re said:
I'm one of the lesser Christian Asians.

Not trying to be stereotypical or racist, but I believe most Eastern Asia people are Buddhists or Atheist.
The Chinese are either Buddhist, Taoist, or a hybrid of both (based on traditional customs, they believe in both). Most Japanese do not state their belief in a religion. The vast majority of Koreans are Christian, while a significant chunk are Buddhist. Quite frankly, I think most East Asians are at least somewhat religious, rather than not believing at all.

Hikaru said:
QUOTE(s4mid4re @ Apr 8 2011, 09:59 PM) I'm one of the lesser Christian Asians.

Not trying to be stereotypical or racist, but I believe most Eastern Asia people are Buddhists or Atheist.
Strange, All of the Asians I know are Christian and make fun of our religions.....I've always thought that most Asians (at least where I lived) were Christian, making me feel very left out.
In Vancouver, most of the immigrants from South Korea are Christians, and they tend to get quite bashful when caught up with people of other religions. Most Chinese immigrants don't really attend religious events, but do believe in some Buddhist and Taoist ideas and such. On an international level, there are far more Buddhists in East Asia than there are Christians.

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
cruddybuddy said:

You act as if atheism has a one of a kind meaning for people. I choose atheism, as I have no reason to believe in God or that there even is a God like entity. I don't need it, and the times that I did, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose atheism knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself.

Well, my comment wasn't even about atheism. Someone was trying to argue that atheism is not a religion. I was merely pointing out that the very act of replying that one is an atheist in a thread about religious sort of defeats the claim that atheism is not a religion. Why don't we all post our favorite toothpaste brand too while we're at it!

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:

Quick question. What attracts an atheist to a thread titled "Whats your religion"? I mean, if there was a thread titled "Whats your favorite ice cream flavor?" and you didn't like ice cream to begin with, would you enter and be like:

"None. I don't eat ice cream. I choose an ice-cream-less lifestyle as I have no reason to eat ice cream. I don't need it, and the times I did eat ice cream, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose to abstain from ice cream eating, knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself."

Really, who would do that except someone you wanted to inject themselves into the center of a conversation that they have no logical reason to be in to begin with.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
cruddybuddy said:
Nathan Drake said:
cruddybuddy said:

Well, my comment wasn't even about atheism. Someone was trying to argue that atheism is not a religion. I was merely pointing out that the very act of replying that one is an atheist in a thread about religious sort of defeats the claim that atheism is not a religion. Why don't we all post our favorite toothpaste brand too while we're at it!

I was the one who said it, and stating that I am in a thread regarding religion is saying that I don't actually have a religion. Atheism on its own though, isn't a religion. A religion is belief in a deity of some kind with a system of beliefs to go with it. Atheism defies this by denying a deity figure entirely, thus having no religious beliefs for lack of a figure to base them around. You can't have beliefs by not having beliefs. That's akin to doing by not doing. Atheism, in my mind at least, is just a more complicated way of saying that you have no religion.

It holds its place in a topic of religion to show that not everybody necessarily has one. In the ice cream example; if you can back up why you dislike ice cream, you have established your position in that conversation.

Edit: Biased isn't really the right word for it, but an opposing view, if backed up, still has a place. You can't deny it because you don't like it.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cruddybuddy said:

so by replying to this thread, it makes Atheism a religion??? well hotdog!! I want my tax exempt too..can't let the church have all the fun.

and my favorite toothpaste is colgate

so many christians pirating games, I thought it was a sin
unsure.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a Christian. I believe in the Father, and the Son. Lately, I've been thinking about what this means. It's not that I question my beliefs, but rather re-enforce them. Thinking logically about something I will never understand is too perplexing. Though I do admit that it is fun to try. Besides, what have I got to lose. If when I die I just return to dust and nothing else, I won't care. If I made the wrong choice in belief, well I guess I'll have plenty of time to think.

My friend seems to be agnostic. He claims atheist, but says that he also believes that whatever you believe in happens. So it's up to you to choose between a myriad of options, or absolute happiness, or 40 women virgins. (If I were like that, I would definitely take those 40 virgins in paradise over anything else.
smileipb2.png
)

@Nathan Drake: Atheism is an ideology. A belief. Same goes for Prophet's Platonist ideology. Something you personally, and others of a like mind believe in, or lack of belief as it is. The idea of religion in itself is a belief, and the idea of no belief is also technically a belief. No matter which way you look at it, you believe that there is no religion to believe in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it