What's your favourite sport and why?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To play it's Table Tennis because it's the only sport I can still manage. To watch it's probably MMA as it's so intense and also doesn't last too long.

Joker25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Why just table tennis?
And what about the most popular game in the world, soccer? Why don't you like it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably going to be skateboarding, even if that skirts of the line of "real sport" at times (and I rarely watch contests in it, or at least they are nowhere near my primary interest for it) and instead probably closer to physical activity.

Hard to describe actually unless you are already invested. Closest I ever found to anything there was one of the absolute legendary figures of skateboarding gave a ted talk (or maybe two)

And what about the most popular game in the world, soccer? Why don't you like it?
Football? Because it is boring as anything.

I am not necessarily concerned about low score counts, though lack of real action could be a thing..
Skills displayed don't enthuse. Some of the game theory* is not bad but nothing to write home about. Rules designed seemingly to make things boring.
Injuries are boring and basic**, as is the dramatics when people fall over, as are reasons for people staying off if by some miracle a real one happens (tweaked hamstring 9 months ago, oh no). I watch something like motorbike racing and fun crashes, and not only do people do things like race with a broken wrist but win.

* and the related being one example.

**as my compelled to play during PE at school career ably demonstrated they don't have to be either. Strap some blades or spikes on feet and fly around. Injuries then make sci fi dystopian sport look like 5 year olds in a shoving match.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Marathon... (TV movie or series watching Marathon:rofl2:)

I'm not doing any sport except walking every day to go to work.
I do hiking sometime (rarely) in mountains.

I used to like ice skating watching on TV. I don't watch anymore. I liked for its artistic view and difficulty.
I like Baseball playing in anime (Touch, Major, etc.), I don't think I'd like watching real people playing. I like the rules of that sport, but I guess I liked it more for the stories and friendship. Watching a real match would probably be boring not knowing people's background.

I did one year of sailboard, because ... I don't know. I found it interesting to try.

Joker25

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Probably going to be skateboarding, even if that skirts of the line of "real sport" at times (and I rarely watch contests in it, or at least they are nowhere near my primary interest for it) and instead probably closer to physical activity.

Hard to describe actually unless you are already invested. Closest I ever found to anything there was one of the absolute legendary figures of skateboarding gave a ted talk (or maybe two)

Football? Because it is boring as anything.

I am not necessarily concerned about low score counts, though lack of real action could be a thing..
Skills displayed don't enthuse. Some of the game theory* is not bad but nothing to write home about. Rules designed seemingly to make things boring.
Injuries are boring and basic**, as is the dramatics when people fall over, as are reasons for people staying off if by some miracle a real one happens (tweaked hamstring 9 months ago, oh no). I watch something like motorbike racing and fun crashes, and not only do people do things like race with a broken wrist but win.

* and the related being one example.

**as my compelled to play during PE at school career ably demonstrated they don't have to be either. Strap some blades or spikes on feet and fly around. Injuries then make sci fi dystopian sport look like 5 year olds in a shoving match.

Well, you're wrong about soccer being boring. I don't agree with that at all. You know, you can't be categorical because as many people as there are opinions. Everyone has their own hobbies and interests.
But thanks for the reply anyway.)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you're wrong about soccer being boring. I don't agree with that at all. You know, you can't be categorical because as many people as there are opinions. Everyone has their own hobbies and interests.
But thanks for the reply anyway.)
Sell me on it then. I have had the misfortune of suffering it during PE (whether that is the equivalent of being forced to read Shakespeare and thus gaining an enduring dislike could stand to be debated. That was at least until I got banned as one particular match saw several of the school's team taken out by me, recall the part about spikes on shoes, and they lost the league they were set to do very well in and thus we have a favourite school memory), had to sit around for local stuff, had it on in pubs when I have been there (fortunately the space around the corner from the TV was nice and free) and had friends enjoy it enough to want to watch it while otherwise hanging out or even play computer games based on it (management, simulation, arcadey... all of them at times) but I fortunately had books/games/internet there to distract me.
At no point have I ever looked on and thought wow such athleticism, can only imagine being able to run that fast/jump that high/lift that heavy thing/be that precise/anticipate those moves. The mathematics of gambling based on it is not bad but that applies to mathematics of anything to do with gambling for me where the source of randomness is almost incidental.
Sportsmanship (rich following my little story I know) seems to be nowhere to be seen -- between rolling around on the floor after one of the opposing team farts in their general direction (and 3/4 second lag to make sure the referee was looking that way at the time), and then massively disrespecting said referees when a call does not go their way.
Observed the people that do enjoy it, indeed a fascinating ride on a train once if I was doing the anthropologist bit when people all dressed up in costumes were discussing the match they had been to. The investment in outcomes for "their team" in various scenarios is something I have never felt the slightest pang of, be it generally, for a local team or country in international efforts, and a lack of injuries worth seeing does not help.

What should I be looking at for it to captivate me? Or would I have had to sit with my dad since before I can remember watching it similar to how people learn religion?
Football is almost uniquely boring in this as well. Only really baseball that comes close to things in anything else I have seen and I have had the misfortune of sitting around for any number of sports on TV and real life. You will never catch me watching any, certainly not paying for it, but many of those at least get some idea of why people enjoy it.

Reactions: Joker25

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gymnastics especially artistic and rhythmic the other four gymnastics disciplines Trampoline, Power Tumbling, Acrobatics, and Aerobics are also cool.

Figure Skating especially Ice Dance and Pairs

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wrestling:
images

Basketball:
images

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't do sportsball. Sports are boring to me. Billards (Pool), video game ice hockey+baseball on the NES/Gameboy, and air hockey are about all I'm into. Been known to get down on Tony Hawk 1-4 as well on occasion. But regular sports just don't do it for me.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How can you tell someone they are wrong and then speak about people having their own opinion in the same post? Haha. :)

• Haha
Reactions: JuanMena

PeterJd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of things to like. I love football, basketball, rafting, I also started learning to play golf. I ordered a set of golf clubs. I want to say that this game is the hardest for me. I don't know why, not everything works out the way I would like. But I won't stop! Who plays golf? Maybe have your own life hacks? I would listen to advice.

Last edited by Veho,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth