What's wrong with weed?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to consider that I haven't seen directly mentioned in this thread yet (a few nods to the idea but not the psychology behind it) is something I heard a while back about constant chronic use and its effect on the brain. No sources to back this up, sorry, so you'll have to take the second-hand knowledge here.

If you've taken an introductory course in Psychology, you are likely familiar with the various stages of sleep -- five stages, with the fifth one being REM sleep. Anyway, stage one is the first one you enter right as you go to bed and is associated with alpha brain waves, lasting somewhere around 7-10 minutes. In this time you are about half-asleep and can still be easily woken up, but you're groggy. Further, deeper sleep states are associated with lower-Hertz levels of brain waves (going down to beta, theta, delta etc) which correspond to lower overall brain activity.

If the information I heard is correct, there was a study that measured the normal "waking" brain wave levels of both nonsmokers and those who have smoked on a constant basis for a period of years. They found that the chronic smokers had high levels of alpha brain waves when compared to the nonsmokers. In other words, the chronic smokers were constantly in a half-asleep state even during their normal waking lives.

There was also another study I vaguely remember showing that weed is actually physically addictive, not just mentally, which is contrary to every stoner testimonial I've ever heard. They gave lab mice some THC and measured how it "wore off" over a period of hours/days. They found that the reason the mice didn't normally feel any withdrawal symptoms was because the brain actually stored enough THC from the initial application that even after a period of time, it was still releasing it into their bodies so they didn't notice. After blocking a hormone that prevented the THC from sticking in the brain for so long, the mice showed signs of withdrawal symptoms (twitchiness, irritability, etc).

Again, I don't have sources for these studies, and I don't remember if this information came from my Psych book or from DUI school or counseling (long story, don't ask) so I don't know how biased the information is, but I found it fascinating nonetheless.

Reactions: 2 people

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't smoke weed...I've done it a few times but it never did anything for me. That being said I know plenty of total "dumb stoners" whos lifes ambition is to be high. On the other hand I know a few highly intelligent individuals who smoke weed pretty much daily to relax who don't get dumb when they do, it really comes down to personality. I would rather be around someone who smokes weed than someone who smokes cigarettes because at least weed doesn't make your clothes smell like dog crap.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I myself despise weed, but I believe that and every other drug should be legal (cocaine, PCP, heroin, etc.) let people do what they want. If they want to slowly (or quickly) kill themselves that's their problem.

Except people on drugs tend to harm other people. I can even name a few instances that happened to people close to me. Legalizing drugs would just make it so, so much worse.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I myself despise weed, but I believe that and every other drug should be legal (cocaine, PCP, heroin, etc.) let people do what they want. If they want to slowly (or quickly) kill themselves that's their problem.

Except people on certain drugs tend to harm other people sometimes. I can even name a few instances that happened to people close to me. Legalizing drugs would just make it so, so much worse.

fixed that for you.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
(...) I would rather be around someone who smokes weed than someone who smokes cigarettes because at least weed doesn't make your clothes smell like dog crap.
Except weed really stinks. ;)
Depends on the weed I think. I've been in a room with my bro who smokes the dankiest of the dank weed and...I must admit, he smells pretty damn nice. I've also been in a room with some high-school stoner who gets shitty weed and he kinda smelt like shit...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Except people on certain drugs tend to harm other people sometimes. I can even name a few instances that happened to people close to me. Legalizing drugs would just make it so, so much worse.

fixed that for you.

I love how nitpicky people are in this thread. Well, just the supporters anyway. I noticed that every time someone quoted me for a reason other than agreeing with me.
You know what I meant, obviously I didn't mean every single person using every single fucking drug. Use common sense. There's literally no need to postcount+1 and "fix" it.
It's annoying, take my name out of the quote or something so I don't waste my life reading such a waste of post, thanks.
(if I sound annoyed, it's because i've gotten about 20+ notifications from this thread, and far too many of them being nitpicking bullshit because that's the only counter argument I guess, it's getting tiresome)

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

fixed that for you.

I love how nitpicky people are in this thread. Well, just the supporters anyway. I noticed that every time someone quoted me for a reason other than agreeing with me.
You know what I meant, obviously I didn't mean every single person using every single fucking drug. Use common sense. There's literally no need to postcount+1 and "fix" it.
It's annoying, take my name out of the quote or something so I don't waste my life reading such a waste of post, thanks.
(if I sound annoyed, it's because i've gotten about 20+ notifications from this thread, and far too many of them being nitpicking bullshit because that's the only counter argument I guess, it's getting tiresome)

Nitpicking. Yeah, I'm not even going to touch that one. Look, if you didn't want people to to make a counterpoint to your points, you shouldn't even have posted in this thread. plain and simple. It's the nature of a discussion.

Reactions: 2 people

Die Antwoord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like weed simply because the people I know who smoke it are annoying as hell. When they aren't saying something stupid while smoking it, they're doing something stupid. I live in an area with potheads all over the place and every time one of them knocks on my door to ask for money to buy weed, it takes every ounce of me not to slam their fingers in the door or punch them in the face. Another bad experience I had was at one of my old jobs. Two other employees and I were in one of the company cars and they decided to smoke weed and since I didn't smoke it, they tried to give me a "contact high" by rolling up the windows and smoking it. The boss didn't seem to mind when I told him so I just quit. And I do personally think it's a waste of money and time if you're going to act like a jackass when you get some. There are enough stupid people and jackasses in the world without making it legal to possibly add more. I'm not saying all people who smoke weed are like that, but the ones I've encountered(many of them) are.

This is my opinion, though. To each their own.

lol I'm sure hotboxing doesn't even work, i've been in rooms/car full of weed smokers, it doesn't even affect me, people that say it does are just desperate or something.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like weed simply because the people I know who smoke it are annoying as hell. When they aren't saying something stupid while smoking it, they're doing something stupid. I live in an area with potheads all over the place and every time one of them knocks on my door to ask for money to buy weed, it takes every ounce of me not to slam their fingers in the door or punch them in the face. Another bad experience I had was at one of my old jobs. Two other employees and I were in one of the company cars and they decided to smoke weed and since I didn't smoke it, they tried to give me a "contact high" by rolling up the windows and smoking it. The boss didn't seem to mind when I told him so I just quit. And I do personally think it's a waste of money and time if you're going to act like a jackass when you get some. There are enough stupid people and jackasses in the world without making it legal to possibly add more. I'm not saying all people who smoke weed are like that, but the ones I've encountered(many of them) are.

lol I'm sure hotboxing doesn't even work, i've been in rooms/car full of weed smokers, it doesn't even affect me, people that say it does are just desperate or something.

mental factor haha. It's a placebo effect. They might feel something, but the brain probably makes most of it up

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Nope, Hotboxing doesn't work for one very good reason. When you inhale the smoke into your lungs, most, if not all of the THC is absorbed into the body before exhaling. So all you're doing is sitting in a car/room full of stale weed smoke. I have hotboxed without smoking directly, and all I got was a headache.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It didn't work on me. It just pissed me off that they were trying to get me high. Dumb shit like that is annoying as hell and is usually how people get punched in the face, kicked in the balls, punched in the balls, punched in the throat, etc.

Reactions: 4 people

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's nothing "wrong" with smoking weed (aside from the whole illegal thing)... Many people are productive members of society by day, and fire up a doob at night. Some people just can't handle their shit and ruin it for the rest.

D

Deleted User

Weed can eventually kill you like many other things. Nothing is wrong with weed but abuse is what the problem is. Abuse anything, you die faster.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol civilized manner of discussion my ass. You Guys do know this is Gbatemp right? Release groups write entire NFOs ( seen around the entire Internet where there is a hacking scene ) that let everyone know how childish we all are? This is why we can't have nice things. Now carry on without arguing. I'm very very intrigued as to what is transpiring in these discussions.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hotboxing is not sitting in a room with stoners, it's actually burning the weed without inhaling it directly. It probably works, but it's a big waste.

-Weed is used as a treatment for people with Schizophrenia.
-People who smoke weed tend to have far less headaches.
-People who smoke it tend to be a buttload healthier than people who just smoke tobacco.
-There hasn't been a single case of someone overdosing and dying from weed.
-It's also been proven to reduce your chances of getting cancer by upwards of 35%.
-It's a contributing cause to Schizophrenia and definitely can not be used as a treatment for it. It's used as treatment for Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's though.
The other things are true, except the last one. While it may be the case, it has as far as I know not been proven.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hotboxing is not sitting in a room with stoners, it's actually burning the weed without inhaling it directly. It probably works, but it's a big waste.

-Weed is used as a treatment for people with Schizophrenia.
-People who smoke weed tend to have far less headaches.
-People who smoke it tend to be a buttload healthier than people who just smoke tobacco.
-There hasn't been a single case of someone overdosing and dying from weed.
-It's also been proven to reduce your chances of getting cancer by upwards of 35%.
-It's a contributing cause to Schizophrenia and definitely can not be used as a treatment for it. It's used as treatment for Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's though.
The other things are true, except the last one. While it may be the case, it has as far as I know not been proven.

Actually it is true about the Schizophrenia. Well, as I restated, it's not used as a treatment, but a way to calm the person down. Which is true because my boss's cousin has it, and the docs he's with recommend the weed.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country

Except people on drugs tend to harm other people. I can even name a few instances that happened to people close to me. Legalizing drugs would just make it so, so much worse.
Alcohol makes people harm other people too. Probably a bit more than those drugs you are thinking of. Yet, that is legal. I can also name some people who were beaten by drunks.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Things are getting tense in here so I'd thought I'd post this

24g7rlx.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.