OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you are a seasoned person of GBATemp;

You probably have noticed how many guests are always on this site, and they are never signing up. They are just leeching from all the topics, and other resources that GBATemp provides. I really think that we should bring down the lock on those guests, whom are leeching from our topics, and not allowing contributors to get as much attention as they deserve.

I think there is a couple of measures that we can put down to promote user's to the website, and to stop the leeching once and for all. For example, I know this board is powered by IPB, and I know there is a number of add-ons, and other extensions to make the people who run the board, have an easier time keeping control over their content and forum.

1) One opinion of mine, is to actually stop them from viewing the full post. If we put a limit on how much of the topic they can see, it will stop them from leeching, and perhaps to sign up instead; this would greatly reduce the number of guests viewing threads, and encouraging people to put in their opinion or input for a forum topic, or for website news and updates.

2) One more option that can be available, is to actually stop the links from being visible to un-registered users. This add-on actually provides a link to the sign-up of the forum, and makes everyone's lives easier.

3) When providing a download pack, simply place a password on the download file. This can be done using MediaFire, and it can be done using WinRar as well. Make sure that only the registered users know the password of the files, this should cut down on leeching activity as well.

This is just a few opinions that I wanted to share; because I think that leeching, is a big problem on this forum. We can act quickly, to remove the leechers, and welcome them to our community as members.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
What are you so butthurt over?

Not getting the attention you deserve? How are people without even accounts taking attention away from you? And why do you deserve anything?

You would prefer to force people into your way of thinking rather than allow them to do what they want?

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
GBATemp is about sharing of information. Alot of people start with the basics on here by just reading, end up signing and become 'seasoned' members sharing info and contributing. Freedom of information bro, keep it real

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
EmbraceFiction said:
lock on those guests, whom are leeching from our topics, and not allowing us contributors to get as much attention as we deserve.

QUOTE(EmbraceFiction @ Jan 10 2011, 02:10 PM) I am not trying to gain attention;

I am just suggesting that we can get more members in the forum, rather than everyone leeching.

EmbraceFiction

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:
EmbraceFiction said:
lock on those guests, whom are leeching from our topics, and not allowing us contributors to get as much attention as we deserve.

QUOTE(EmbraceFiction @ Jan 10 2011, 02:10 PM) I am not trying to gain attention;

I am just suggesting that we can get more members in the forum, rather than everyone leeching.

I mean contributors, as everyone who write tutorials. I only wrote two, I admit I am still a noob. I am just getting at this for those who write tutorials all the time.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
well, this was created what, 5 mins ago? and there are already 3 guests viewing it... Hey you guests down there, please join.... pretty please? i'll give you a cookie? it's not like anyone's gonna bite your head off or anything if you join.... (well, steer clear of monkat mabey)

ot: there is sort of a restriction in that if you sign up you can clear the ads but i do admit there should be something extra, just not quite that.... drastic....

EdIt: now 7 guests viewing compared to just 4 members...

EmbraceFiction

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wizzerzak said:
well, this was created what, 5 mins ago? and there are already 3 guests viewing it... Hey you guests down there, please join.... pretty please? i'll give you a cookie? it's not like anyone's gonna bite your head off or anything if you join.... (well, steer clear of monkat mabey)

on: there is sort of a restriction in that if you sign up you can clear the ads but i do admit there should be something extra, just not quite that.... drastic....

Stay clear of Immaturity *
tongue.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Guests browsing the site is not an unwelcome thing. The number of guests that browse the site do not strain the servers in any way and since the demise of shoptemp they provide the majority of our revenue through adverts as they outnumber our registered users by several times to one. At the moment guests are actually keeping the site alive.

EmbraceFiction

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
Guests browsing the site is not an unwelcome thing. The number of guests that browse the site do not strain the servers in any way and since the demise of shoptemp they provide the majority of our revenue through adverts as they outnumber our registered users by several times to one. At the moment guests are actually keeping the site alive.

Yes; I suppose that is a good solution.

I was just making a point, it was not meant to be a burn to anyone, or at anything. I was just expressing my point, and what I meant.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goli said:
Maybe some of those guests are users that aren't logged in. Did that ever cross your mind?

Came here to say this. 2 minutes too late
tongue.gif

But yea, sometimes I'm not logged in and I'm browsing and don't realize it until I hit a log in message.

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Goli said:
Maybe some of those guests are users that aren't logged in. Did that ever cross your mind?

True that!
Plus....Everyones a guest at some point. Its not like you google for a site, instantly sign up and then browse to see what you can find, that would be stupid.
This whole topic is hilarious!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Having to register (or even worse, post 10 times or something similar) on forums just to view content/use links is one of the most annoying things on the internet IMHO. I HATE when I go to a forum, and have to sign up to a forum I will most likely never go back to just to download a tool I will use once or twice. It is stupid and pointless. If they can't see stuff, they won't be enticed to sign up
wink.gif

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm usually not logged in when I'm browsing this site which makes me think that a lot of guests reading topics are members already.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd hate GBAtemp to be one of those sites in which I sign up only to see/get download links, and then never visit again. It'd cause a unnecessary increase of inactive members.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you do this, you'll be flooded with new accounts that the leechers use once, and then forget about it.
I know that that's exactly what I do if I want to dl something from a site but they want me to sign up.
I sign up, download/read what I want, and then leave and never come back.
TL;DR:Useless idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head