OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you are a seasoned person of GBATemp;

You probably have noticed how many guests are always on this site, and they are never signing up. They are just leeching from all the topics, and other resources that GBATemp provides. I really think that we should bring down the lock on those guests, whom are leeching from our topics, and not allowing contributors to get as much attention as they deserve.

I think there is a couple of measures that we can put down to promote user's to the website, and to stop the leeching once and for all. For example, I know this board is powered by IPB, and I know there is a number of add-ons, and other extensions to make the people who run the board, have an easier time keeping control over their content and forum.

1) One opinion of mine, is to actually stop them from viewing the full post. If we put a limit on how much of the topic they can see, it will stop them from leeching, and perhaps to sign up instead; this would greatly reduce the number of guests viewing threads, and encouraging people to put in their opinion or input for a forum topic, or for website news and updates.

2) One more option that can be available, is to actually stop the links from being visible to un-registered users. This add-on actually provides a link to the sign-up of the forum, and makes everyone's lives easier.

3) When providing a download pack, simply place a password on the download file. This can be done using MediaFire, and it can be done using WinRar as well. Make sure that only the registered users know the password of the files, this should cut down on leeching activity as well.

This is just a few opinions that I wanted to share; because I think that leeching, is a big problem on this forum. We can act quickly, to remove the leechers, and welcome them to our community as members.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really am going to have to completely disagree with you option on the guests.
The guests are very important for this site and the more the view this site, the more money the site gets. I mean they aren't really allowed to view the forums with most features such as Avatars and signatures, as well they can't posts, which at some points could be a good thing.
Either way the guests really aren't doing any harm, other than not contributing to the forums, which as said before could be good thing.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How will people know they want to sign up if they can't read what's here? They're causing no trouble and if they want to join to contribute they will do.

If I have to register somewhere to see a download link or something like that, the first thing I'd do is go and look somewhere else. It wouldn't encourage new users, it would just deter the guests.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. If you make it to where users cannot read posts, they are less likely to join. They will leave, thinking "That's so annoying, I'm not signing up here!", meaning LESS members.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
well DUH some peeps like to just read and not post
dry.gif

Stephapanda

Clover's Wife
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonbart said:
If you do this, you'll be flooded with new accounts that the leechers use once, and then forget about it.
I know that that's exactly what I do if I want to dl something from a site but they want me to sign up.
I sign up, download/read what I want, and then leave and never come back.
TL;DR:Useless idea.

This. Hiding links and what not will just annoy people, who will register just to get what they want and then leave (and never come back) leaving the forums with a ton of inactive 0-post accounts. It's much better the way it is; people shouldn't feel forced to join a community. If they want to join, they will.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Evo.lve said:
RoboticBuddy said:
I don't mind guests and all... but what's with this?

aassdddv.jpg

Guests can post in certain forums and they get the prefix "Guest" on their name.
no, the reason it says that is because a wise canadian elf once complained when a moogle raped his post count from 999 to 1000 so he requested his account be deleted

edit: evo.lve: yes, trufax
it was scuber/billys/vexten/beatrice

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mercluke said:
Evo.lve said:
RoboticBuddy said:

aassdddv.jpg

Guests can post in certain forums and they get the prefix "Guest" on their name.
no, the reason it says that is because a wise canadian elf once complained when a moggle raped his post count from 999 to 1000 so he requested his account be deleted

You're... you're not serious, are you?

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
okay i was reading this, i was just reading. i didn't want to post because what i want to say have been said already. so this becomes a useless post. if i had not posted here would i become a leecher? because i just read and not contributed. but well now i did.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whenever I'm looking for information on the net and i see that information in a fourm post but i have to register to see it, makes me rage.

If your interested, an easy way to get past this is to search up that thread on google and view the cached version of it, i don't know why, but it allows you to see the thread entirly without having to log in

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
zeromac said:
Whenever I'm looking for information on the net and i see that information in a fourm post but i have to register to see it, makes me rage.

If your interested, an easy way to get past this is to search up that thread on google and view the cached version of it, i don't know why, but it allows you to see the thread entirly without having to log in
it's because a lot of forums let the google spider index their pages (some forums with restrictions like images and such can even be viewed just by changing your useragent to that of google spider)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Evo.lve said:
RoboticBuddy said:

aassdddv.jpg

Actually, that post was made by an actual member whose account has since been deleted. The posts themselves weren't deleted, and as there's no account to associate with them anymore they show up like that.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I lurked here for months before I joined, if the threads wearn't public I would have never joined

Just now: People leave the forum and new poeple come in and stay
so things even out
If that happened: People leave the forum and few new people will come in and even fewer will stay, eventually killing the forum.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I run across many sites that have the addons to block content to guests. I have run one of these forums that does this, and in the end I just had 10x as many inactive accounts from people just signing up to view one or 2 topics.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
More guests=More people visiting the site=Site gains popularity=More people visiting the site=More moneys

And no one can get enough of moneys. :3

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
EmbraceFiction said:
If you are a seasoned person of GBATemp;

You probably have noticed how many guests are always on this site, and they are never signing up. They are just leeching from all the topics, and other resources that GBATemp provides. I really think that we should bring down the lock on those guests, whom are leeching from our topics, and not allowing contributors to get as much attention as they deserve.

Guests are the main persons who cause GBAtemp money from adds, you know. Registered users cannot see as much adds as guests.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s