What's up with movie based games coming out before the movies?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I find it very weird that movie based games are coming out a couple days before their movie premiers.

Like the games would come out on Tuesday of the week movie premiers. On the other hand, the movie premiers on Thursdays or Fridays.

Because the game comes out before the movie, I don't know if the game would spoil the movie's story.

Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk look like they don't really give off much of the movie (If you've read the comics, you know what's gonna happen anyway)
Kung Fu Panda was so very close to the movie, especially the early parts were like "Wow I'm so glad I didn't play it early"

Wall-E games are out for buncha platforms, I'm even avoiding the trailers.
(I've noticed there are more than one version of trailers, and they contain different footage. I've watched one version and that was enough to guarantee my ticket.)

If the games would come out AFTER the movie premiers, that'd make MUCH more sense.

Who here watched Iron Man because you thought the game was so great, the movie must be too?
Who here played Iron Man because you enjoyed the movie, just to find out the game is "WTF?"

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Game publishers want to hitch a ride on the movie's marketing machinery. They ride on the hype. And they want to sell as many games as possible before the movie starts, just in case the film turns out to be crap. So they release the game a week before the movie starts playing.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
I've noticed this myself. However, the game is usually more expensive then the movie ticket + snacks, so I guess it's there for people who prefer playing the game over the movie or people who really want to know the story earlier.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, both comments make sense.

It's rare to have good movie based game and crap movie, but VERY EASY to have the opposite.
Better release the game early because crap movie + crap game combo would fail beyond recognition.
Crap game + unknown quality movie would be just ordinary =P

I've never thought of "playing the game early because you're too curious about the story" strategy.
The only reason I play movie based games is because the movies were great fun. So I thought movie is the main and game was just extra, but in fact games cost like five times the movie tickets.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, the games can easily ride the movie's marketing, and since they're released on Tuesday whereas most movies are on Friday, you might have people who will buy the game and potentially spoil themselves and then see it in the theaters.

...that really did sound better in my head. Something like "it's better than having the game released on the Tuesday AFTER the Friday of the film's release" but I have no idea why. XD

Marketing, I guess.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Dosent that mean the movie is based on the game!!!
wtf.gif

OMG my head hurts and I need to lie down now!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1