whats the point of classic mode

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by aenoch, Mar 18, 2015.

1. aenoch
    OP

aenoch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    i think i just figured it out wile typing the title. if sysand is to low of a firmware for certain retail carts then classic mod in emunand will play them.

i don't think this really affects me my sysnand is on 9.0 and all the retail games i own work on sysnand

I guess my new question is which is more recommended to use sys or classic mode when playing the physical games.

2. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Well it'll help in the future if you have a retail game that doesn't work on sysnand.. Also, it's also there from the days when people were forced to stay on 4.5, which wasn't supported by all of the never games.

Play your retail games on the system nand, unless you want online play, then go on classic mode.

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Region free, online, playing on retail carts on latest firmware.

sup3rgh0st likes this.
  4. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I have a 4.1 3DS and it allows me to play newer retail carts that require higher firmware, it also blocks the update on those carts too. Sometimes have to wait for gateway to release an update to get newer games fully compatible.

5. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    so i can use ether or or even both at the same time?

6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    It would be better if Classic Mode and Gateway mode are merged together and retail carts can boot while in gateway mode as well as allowing the new save keys if you are on a sysnand that supports it. (classic mode already uses the new save keys if you are on 6.x or higher sysnand).

Perhaps just have gateway mode go into a more limited mode if booted without the gateway card inserted. Otherwise, Classic Mode is increasingly becoming pointless in this day and age. :P

Either that or they fix Classic Mode so that CIAs work in it. They can just have that part of it not work if the gateway card isn't inserted. What's stopping them? Would be great to be able to use SaveDataFiler on retail carts using the new save crypto. :P

Zidapi likes this.
  7. Blue Lamb

Blue Lamb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2007
    United States
    Now I'm a little bit confused. I have a 3DS XL on SysNAND 9.2.

I updated an EmuNAND from GW3DS 9.2 to 9.5.

When I load Gateway Mode, a NAND on GW3DS 9.5 is loaded. Can I play my ROMS online from there safely (assuming I have my own header)?

8. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Roms from gateway card and anything you installed with DevMan/BigBlueMenu/BigRedMenu will only work in Gateway mode. Classic Mode is for region free and is limited to official retail carts and legit stuff you downloaded from eShop. You can use legit eShop stuff in Gateway mode as well. So you have little reason to use Classic Mode if the majority of your stuff is installed to SD card. If you use roms on the gateway card, public headers might get you banned. Though the bans Nintendo currently is handing out appear to be temporary and last only a few weeks. There have been no confirmed bans from users using only CIA based games online and I have personally never gotten the ban message. I've intentionally avoided running any of my games from the gateway card. Even my legit dump of my Alpha Sapphire game has now been converted to CIA once I had resold that one to GameStop. (did that to pay for fixing a bricked 3DS. I would have otherwise kept it)

9. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California
    Playing in sysNAND for a retail cart is also useful for preserving battery life: Gateway drains it pretty badly afaik

10. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Well if retail carts worked in Gateway mode that wouldn't be an issue. Besides you can convert your games to CIA so you don't have to have your gateway cart inserted. (it only has to be there during the initial bootup into gateway mode). CIAs also only work in Gateway mode.

11. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    the only reason I even HAVE a gateway is for classic mode lol

region free.

12. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    this should be in the custom firmware/flashcards thread, not rom hacking... :)

it's devMENU - i have seen you make this mistake for weeks now

Zidapi likes this.
  13. Blue Lamb

Apr 21, 2007
    United States
    Do CIA files have no need for headers?

14. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    the unique cart id that we inject into 3ds roms - no :)

15. Blue Lamb

Apr 21, 2007
    United States
    Amazing. I just got my GW today, set it up and backed up my games, importing their headers into other back ups. I should have learned that sooner T^T

16. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    So cia play nicely. Online? Which card do. They install to, and can i use morw then one microsd card for holding the backup .3ds/cia. Files. Sorry i thaught i posted this in the flash cart forum

17. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    When im using the gateway card i usualy leave it in the slot. I dont see the point in taking it out. Inless im putting a different game cart in