What's the best fighting game you've ever played?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Johnton, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Johnton
    OP

Johnton GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    Mexico
    I'm a great fan of fighting games.
    My enthusiasm began as a kid.
    My oldest and probably first memory of a fighting game, is probably from 1994.
    I was born in 1993. And I remember (before kindergarten which I entered in '96) seeing my dad playing Street Fighter II on his SNES.
    I don't know why everytime he played his SNES, he'd blast our ears with The Doors, Eric Burdon & The Animals or Grand Funk music.
    My mind would always relate Dhalsim's Stage Music with Light my Fire. And Grand Funk's Paranoid with Zangief's theme.

So... growing up, and still pre-kinder, we got Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct.
    MKII always scared the shit out if me as a kid. And for KI, Riptor was my fave.

Nowadays... Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers remains as my ALL TIME FAVOURITE.
    With Tatsunoko vs Capcom as second favorite, X-Men vs Street Fighter as third, and Smash Bros Melee as fourth... until Smash for 3DS came out.

Share your story with me!

Last edited by Johnton, Aug 12, 2019
  2. DSSP

DSSP Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2019
    United States
    Missouri
    My first with a fighting game was Super Smash Bros. Brawl and my favorite is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or Street Fighter 2.

Johnton likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    My favorite is probably Soul Calibur 2, mainly because (for whatever reason) it's the only fighting game I'm moderately good at. Used to play all sorts when I was a kid, Street Fighter 2, the MK games, Tekken (mainly 3), but none of them have really stuck with me like SC2 has, I can still boot it up on any console any day of the week and have fun with it.

Johnton likes this.
  4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Street Fighter 2 was my first best video games on SNES/Mega Drive ever and 2nd was Mortal Kombat. Never forget it and I am still enjoying brand new and an advance Street Fighter like Street Fighter V and Mortal Kombat 11. Absolutely love them. My best childhood memory.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    My favorite fighting game of all times is "Fighters Megamix" on the Sega Saturn.
    So much characters, tricks and secrets...
    You can play with Virtua Fighter/Fighting Vipers, and many secret characters like Daytona car, AM2 logo Palmtree and Janet from Virtua Cop!
    With her, you can perform a trick like pull off a gun and shoot your opponent! Awesome!

fighters-megamix.

Last edited by toxic9, Aug 12, 2019
  6. teamlocust

teamlocust Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2017
    India
    tekken 3 , soul blade, soul calibur,
    sf3 third strike and ex plus alpha

yusuo likes this.
  7. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    Street Fighter 2 as a kid i was king. played it recently I was okay, but before i was unbeatable now i think to myself :-

"what the fuck happened flame. you was the man homie. now i just go home and be a family man with your imaginary wife."

8. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    I am not so a "fighting game" fan.
    A friend showed me Fatal Fury on the Neo Geo and this was my first one and I liked it:

- very big fighter sprites
    - Voice output
    - the music was great at that times
    - animated Backgrounds
    - interesting characters (I had a hard time with Tung Fu Rue and Raiden I remember....)

A little later I get it for my Sega Mega Drive and was very disappointed about that poor conversion.:sad:

9. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Waku Waku 7 be one of me faves fg, the original MvC too

10. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 3 full burst ftw hella fun and not too serious (easy to learn not competitively crazy). Also a 3D Fighter opposed to 2d

11. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Cyber Stadium Series: Base Wars

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    While I consider myself a globalist when it comes to video games, fighter games are probably my most underplayed genre.

Sure, as a kid, I played plenty of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and I really liked mortal kombat 2 as well, but I've been far from being good at any of it.

As of recent, I'd say that skullgirls is a pretty good one. But then again: my opinion isn't worth much (I honestly can't tell a good from a bad fighter game. just what I like :P ).

Oh, and probably my favorite game in the genre is also an old one: One Must Fall 2097 (1). It had two things I had never seen in fighting games before:
    1) stages with hazards, meaning that if you could get your opponent on a specific spot, he'd be hit with e.g. passing jet gunfire
    2) character upgrades (of course just for the single player tournaments)

It also featured character customization (just color, but ey...it's possible even this is still something rare), sort-of-fatalities and a campaign pitting you against other robots with different stats. last but not least: it was the only fighting game where I just picked one robot to play as and ignored the others (Shadow).

(1): I'd say "a hidden gem", but to my own surprise when researching, the makers were a tiny company named Epic megagames. You may have heard of 'em. :P

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I will second Soul Calibur 2.

Have played plenty before and since but none have quite scratched that itch the same way. It was by no means anywhere close to a perfect game but its balance of timing, move complexity, reach and everything else really worked for me. Later entries in the series strayed somewhat from whatever made that what it was as well. Indeed such things have probably soured me on many future fighting games.

As a general rule I am not a fan of huge move lists, stun lock combos that could take out a whole life bar, frame perfect timings and many of the things done for the "high speed chess" thing that a lot of things to do play to the "competitive" side of things. This is to say I would prefer it imitate some of the thought processes and ideas that go into "real" martial arts (digitising a bunch of forms, even if "textbook", is not the same thing).

14. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2013
    i have never been a big fighting game fan,but the one i rember i had the most fun with was mortal kombat for the n64

15. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Street Fighter 2 ... by far the best one ever !

16. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    I remember liking Street Fighter II on the SNES emulator as a kid.
    I've tried a few others since (DOA and Mortal Kombat) but can never get into any of them except Smash U.

17. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    The first Marvel Vs Capcom or Smash Ultimate. I really liked Skullgirls and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, but the first Marvel Vs Capcom was so unique, andbI feel that it's way better than the second one. Everything was so cool, and Ryu and Megaman are like my mains. Ryu is super cool as well for the Complete Change mechanic.