What's the best fighting game you've ever played?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,522
  • Replies 36
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm a great fan of fighting games.
My enthusiasm began as a kid.
My oldest and probably first memory of a fighting game, is probably from 1994.
I was born in 1993. And I remember (before kindergarten which I entered in '96) seeing my dad playing Street Fighter II on his SNES.
I don't know why everytime he played his SNES, he'd blast our ears with The Doors, Eric Burdon & The Animals or Grand Funk music.
My mind would always relate Dhalsim's Stage Music with Light my Fire. And Grand Funk's Paranoid with Zangief's theme.

So... growing up, and still pre-kinder, we got Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct.
MKII always scared the shit out if me as a kid. And for KI, Riptor was my fave.

Nowadays... Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers remains as my ALL TIME FAVOURITE.
With Tatsunoko vs Capcom as second favorite, X-Men vs Street Fighter as third, and Smash Bros Melee as fourth... until Smash for 3DS came out.

Share your story with me!

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
My first with a fighting game was Super Smash Bros. Brawl and my favorite is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or Street Fighter 2.

Reactions: Deleted User

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My favorite is probably Soul Calibur 2, mainly because (for whatever reason) it's the only fighting game I'm moderately good at. Used to play all sorts when I was a kid, Street Fighter 2, the MK games, Tekken (mainly 3), but none of them have really stuck with me like SC2 has, I can still boot it up on any console any day of the week and have fun with it.

Reactions: Deleted User

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Street Fighter 2 was my first best video games on SNES/Mega Drive ever and 2nd was Mortal Kombat. Never forget it and I am still enjoying brand new and an advance Street Fighter like Street Fighter V and Mortal Kombat 11. Absolutely love them. My best childhood memory.

Reactions: Alexander1970

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
My favorite fighting game of all times is "Fighters Megamix" on the Sega Saturn.
So much characters, tricks and secrets...
You can play with Virtua Fighter/Fighting Vipers, and many secret characters like Daytona car, AM2 logo Palmtree and Janet from Virtua Cop!
With her, you can perform a trick like pull off a gun and shoot your opponent! Awesome!

fighters-megamix.jpg

Last edited by toxic9,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Street Fighter 2 as a kid i was king. played it recently I was okay, but before i was unbeatable now i think to myself :-

"what the fuck happened flame. you was the man homie. now i just go home and be a family man with your imaginary wife."

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I am not so a "fighting game" fan.
A friend showed me Fatal Fury on the Neo Geo and this was my first one and I liked it:

- very big fighter sprites
- Voice output
- the music was great at that times
- animated Backgrounds
- interesting characters (I had a hard time with Tung Fu Rue and Raiden I remember....)

A little later I get it for my Sega Mega Drive and was very disappointed about that poor conversion.:sad:

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 3 full burst ftw hella fun and not too serious (easy to learn not competitively crazy). Also a 3D Fighter opposed to 2d

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
While I consider myself a globalist when it comes to video games, fighter games are probably my most underplayed genre.

Sure, as a kid, I played plenty of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and I really liked mortal kombat 2 as well, but I've been far from being good at any of it.

As of recent, I'd say that skullgirls is a pretty good one. But then again: my opinion isn't worth much (I honestly can't tell a good from a bad fighter game. just what I like :P ).

Oh, and probably my favorite game in the genre is also an old one: One Must Fall 2097 (1). It had two things I had never seen in fighting games before:
1) stages with hazards, meaning that if you could get your opponent on a specific spot, he'd be hit with e.g. passing jet gunfire
2) character upgrades (of course just for the single player tournaments)

It also featured character customization (just color, but ey...it's possible even this is still something rare), sort-of-fatalities and a campaign pitting you against other robots with different stats. last but not least: it was the only fighting game where I just picked one robot to play as and ignored the others (Shadow).

(1): I'd say "a hidden gem", but to my own surprise when researching, the makers were a tiny company named Epic megagames. You may have heard of 'em. :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will second Soul Calibur 2.

Have played plenty before and since but none have quite scratched that itch the same way. It was by no means anywhere close to a perfect game but its balance of timing, move complexity, reach and everything else really worked for me. Later entries in the series strayed somewhat from whatever made that what it was as well. Indeed such things have probably soured me on many future fighting games.

As a general rule I am not a fan of huge move lists, stun lock combos that could take out a whole life bar, frame perfect timings and many of the things done for the "high speed chess" thing that a lot of things to do play to the "competitive" side of things. This is to say I would prefer it imitate some of the thought processes and ideas that go into "real" martial arts (digitising a bunch of forms, even if "textbook", is not the same thing).

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
i have never been a big fighting game fan,but the one i rember i had the most fun with was mortal kombat for the n64

D

Deleted User

OP
I remember liking Street Fighter II on the SNES emulator as a kid.
I've tried a few others since (DOA and Mortal Kombat) but can never get into any of them except Smash U.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first Marvel Vs Capcom or Smash Ultimate. I really liked Skullgirls and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, but the first Marvel Vs Capcom was so unique, andbI feel that it's way better than the second one. Everything was so cool, and Ryu and Megaman are like my mains. Ryu is super cool as well for the Complete Change mechanic.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm not a superfan of Fighting games but it's basically in the following order; DOA5, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and the Smash Series.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: