What's the best D's flashcart for the 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Awesomeslayerg, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Awesomeslayerg
    OP

Awesomeslayerg GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    United States
    So I have luma and a9lh installed with emunand ver 11.0-33U, I'm wondering what's a good flashcart I can buy to play ds games on my 2DS on latest fw?

2. exdeath255

exdeath255 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2016
    Canada
    The Mind
    supercard ds two is what i use. any card will do fine if all you want is most ds games to work. some games ive tried dont work on the cheaper $10 ones while they do on scds2.

Dont bother with the + version as it might mess up your system possibly.

Last edited by exdeath255, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    DSTWO may technically be the cream of the crop, but it comes with quite a premium price for the extra emulation features. Most people here, myself included, are quite happy with and recommend the R4i GOLD 3DS when it comes to running just NDS roms on a 3DS. This thing is cheap and runs every NDS rom you can throw at it on any 3DS with any firmware. You don't necessarily have to buy from the seller I linked, but that is the one you are looking for if seeking anything other than a DSTWO.

4. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Thats right! And the extra emulation features of the DSTWO are irrelevant at this point on a 3DS. Plus DSTWO shells are really thin and fragile, the R4i Gold 3DS looks a bit more robust (i personally never saw one)

5. Barawer

Barawer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Iceland
    since you have luma, the extra gba emulation features of the DSTWO is useless. just as @clownb said, the R4i Gold he linked to is my recommendation.

6. hirvimies

hirvimies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    I ran through 999 with my R4i SDHC 3DS RTS. It was the cheapest I could find since it has no mentionable features except real time save (which I don't use anyway) but it did support CIA forwarders which is gold in my eyes. Seeing my DS-games as "bubbles" in the 3DS home menu makes it worth the small time it takes to install the forwarders.

7. exdeath255

exdeath255 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2016
    Canada
    The Mind
    You wont know which one you like till you get one. Thing i like about dstwo is that i can use it on dslite and with my ezf5 easily [keep in mind i dont have any other ones except the old r4 ones]
    Thing i dont like is the bulge that it gives. This should more or less be a pros and cons not a bash thread.

Last edited by exdeath255, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Hking0036

Hking0036 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    I think it has extra battery drain too, if I'm not mistaken. The plastic on the R4i is pretty decent, but it likes to fight going into my 3DS sometimes.

Last edited by Hking0036, Aug 18, 2016
  9. sieroi

sieroi GBAtemp Regular

Apr 29, 2015
    Another vote against the DSTWO here.

It's an impressive cart for the DS/DS Lite/DSi, but it's easily the worst possible solution on a 3DS- the bells and whistles aren't worth cutting your battery life in half.

Go with the R4i Gold 3DS.

10. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Yeah the R4i sounds similar to the Gateway Blue Card in terms of plastic n stuff and yes you need force it on the slot like it doesn't belong there.
    I personally have a DSTWO for like 6 years or more, its a great card runs everything just fine but i hate the GUI, the shell keeps falling off and sometimes fails to boot.

11. SirBeethoven

SirBeethoven 3.145.... something. E=mc2

Nov 26, 2015
    United States
    sieroi likes this.
  12. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    I have an r4I sdhc gold pro 2016 version. I'd recommend that one, is just as good as the other gold pro card, same price point. the one that says 2016 in the corner,, it's good, what I have

http://www.r4isdhc.com/2014-r4isdhc-gold-pro/

Last edited by mike a, Aug 18, 2016
  13. Hking0036

Hking0036 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Those are on a timer, and their firmware is slow. I had one for a while and replaced it with the r4i gold and it's a lot better, it's worth spending the extra $10 on. You can swap the firmware on it with Ysmenu but that screwed up compatibility with Pokemon Black/White for me.

14. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    how much better?? I don't know, for me that card does what I want it to, I have emulators on it, don't know what you mean by slow firmware, sure it takes a few seconds to load after you put a bunch of new roms on it, but that's ok

15. Hamstermascot

Hamstermascot GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    You can use both firmwares. I personally used the 3.7b update for everything that doesn't work on it. It's still valid till the end of 2016 anyway.

16. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    well, im sure it would work even after 2016 lol, im sure Nintendo isn't going to put much more updates on 3ds anyway since the new console is coming out, and they don't care about nds hacking anymore. they will probly put out a few more patches on the gold pro even after 2016 if they have to

17. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    interesting.

@op, i'm an odd one out suggestion, but I prefer Acekard 2i, it doesn't support the NDS forwarders, but it supports everything I throw at it, albeit having to format the SD card to FAT (not fat16 or 32) in order to launch black/white 2

18. hisagishi

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    This is minorly off topic but how are you guys getting DStwos working on a 3ds + luma? I've tried it and it isn't showing up. Then again neither is pokemon black but that might be a bad copy as I found it on the ground.

neim81094 likes this.
  19. Hking0036

Hking0036 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    I mean the 5 seconds of loading time every time you scroll down 4 titles.

the firmware on the card is set to brick the card after 1 year, so you buy another card. all the r4i-sdhcs do that. You can set your time back to fix it but it's better to me to just have a card that will work in the future.

20. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    what man are you serious lol it was a bitch to get that card!!! so I have to set my timer back on the ds, can I do that AFTER the firmware bricks and fix the firmware somehow?? I don't know,, man that sucks kinda pisses me off man