What's the best approach for me to play ROMs now?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by raibot, Dec 21, 2015.

1. raibot
    OP

raibot Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Basically, I've been out of the 3DS loop since last December. I have quite a few things prepared but never really had time to dig deeper. But now I finally have time since school is over so I'm looking for advice on what's the best way(s) so that I can start playing ROMs on my 3DS.

Things I have:
    New 3DS (Japanese) on 9.2 (Sysnand)
    .3ds game files ready to be loaded
    Gateway RED + BLUE cards

Things I don't have:
    Emunand
    Zelda OOT card
    Cubic Ninja card
    Custom Firmware (Not sure if this is better or Gateway? Looking for a guide of some sort)

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Cold boot rxTools using homemenuhax http://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools-...rom-browserhax-homemenuhax-to-rxtools.398420/ but if you want to stick with your gateway card you can use homemenuhax > mini pasta > cubic ninja CIA in sysnand > Gateway mode or do both and go wild.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Dec 21, 2015
    lancealittle and raibot like this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Either rxTools or Gateway, it depends on your preference. Gateway has .3DS ROM support so you don't have to wait for slow .CIA installs or convert .3DS to .CIA, but rxTools can autoboot on power on with menuhax.

raibot likes this.
  4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    If you don't need the immense number of features rxTools offers, you could always go for CakesFW or Reinand too.

5. raibot
    OP

raibot Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Just wondering, for any of those CFWs, is it a requirement that I need a Cubic Ninja or Zelda: OOT game card? Or could I just work with what I already have at the moment?

Japanese game cards for those 2 seem to cost quite a bit, so I'm hoping for the least expensive alternative.

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    daxtsu and raibot like this.