What's next on the 'Temp?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We are eager to know what our members think is the most important task for us to do right now.
I've laid out a few of the main possibilities that we have at the moment and it would help if you could tell us your opinion about it.

We are a limited team of workers so bear in mind that we can't work on all of that at once.
Ideally we should improve on all fronts but the reality of our workload and schedules make it that we can only focus on one major task at a time.
So please pick one and indicate what you think.

Upgrading to the latest forum software (IPB 3.2.1)
Our forum software is outdated (IPB 2.3.X) and most of our members know it only too well, especially if you hang out on other forums.
New IPB versions have come out with amazing new features, towards a more social and connected community.
It'd be great if someone could summarize all the improvements of IPB 3.2.1 over IPB 2.3.X.
An upgrade like that is an extremely long and complicated process because it requires us to re-code most of the addons and modules that make the specificity of our community. Also it requires us to adapt the skin, convert the posts and message databases and so much more. It could take months.

A new skin for the site
Although newcomers are usually content with the current V3 skin, a lot of long-timers have complained and still prefer the old classic skins.
We could make everyone happy and create a brand new skin that would hopefully please a larger audience.
The problem with that is we don't have anyone who is capable of AND that has enough time for creating such a skin.
It would also take months to have such a thing done too because a skin isn't just a static image, the skin code has to be hardcoded into pretty much every single page of the site. It's a huge amount of work.

A combination of the above two options seems impossible at the moment due to lack of time & staff.

More competitions, contests & tournaments
Over the years GBAtemp has been holding exciting competitions, tournaments, contents, and other random events.
From Tempmas to the Homebrew Bounties, the tutorial competitions, graphic design contests, grand gaming tournaments, ...
It's generally the kind of popular event that connects the community and creates bonds between members.
If that's what people want, we can certainly do more of that, usually under short delays.

Better/more news articles and editorial content
Our magazine staff team strives to animate our homepage with news of the homebrew scene, articles about the gaming industry, revival of old classics and so much more. We will continue in that direction, though if the community deems it to be a top priority we can allocate more resources and push this apect of our site a bit further forward.

What are your thoughts? I'll say it again, I know ideally we want all of that happening...
but you can really just pick one choice.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
machomuu said:
Um...Facebook?
Notifications =/= Facebook.
This lets you see if anyone has quoted you, replied to you or posted in your thread, etc.

I'm not sure what forum software Terraria is on but it's one sexy looking one (and has notifications)
http://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/
Oh mah lawd

I need 3.2.0 NAOW

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
machomuu said:
Um...Facebook?
Notifications =/= Facebook.
This lets you see if anyone has quoted you, replied to you or posted in your thread, etc.

I'm not sure what forum software Terraria is on but it's one sexy looking one (and has notifications)
http://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/
Oh, I like that. It wasn't actually the notifications that made me think that, but the picture that was posted on that page.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While all the choices are really nice and I hope to see implemented eventually, I feel that upgrading the forum software would be the best thing to do first.

hanibel

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
Honestly you guys should focus on delivering more news articles. It's not a secret that a lot of other sites surpass gbatemp in the matter of news. The only reason gbatemp has backlinks on other sites are the talented homebrew developers who create threads about their projects on the consoles forum section and yet other sites generally report about them first. Without these developers gbatemp wouldn't have much to offer. What Gbatemp needs is more and harder working news staff. Being news staff is generally much tougher than being a moderator.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I voted for the upgrade, as the new IP.B has a mobile site support, as well as many other features. A new skin would be nice, but you'd have to redo it when you upgrade.

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
The forum upgrade. The gba temp forum is the best forum I use mostly because of the people posting here which is the reason why an upgrade would be great.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
hanibel said:
Honestly you guys should focus on delivering more news articles. It's not a secret that a lot of other sites surpass gbatemp in the matter of news. The only reason gbatemp has backlinks on other sites are the talented homebrew developers who create threads about their projects on the consoles forum section and yet other sites generally report about them first. Without these developers gbatemp wouldn't have much to offer. What Gbatemp needs is more and harder working news staff. Being news staff is generally much tougher than being a moderator.

Well, GBAtemp's current subtitle currently is "Underground Gaming Community", which means the focus IS slightly on the more underground homebrew development, rather than ordinary news. And news about various homebrews come weekly, and if they don't, they're being dev'd and discussed in their respective threads (Like the DSi GBA emulator).

I think the first and foremost priority is to upgrade the forum to v3 IPB. Having a more user friendly community will probably attract good users, as discussed here.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Old8oy said:
Ace Faith stole my post.
wtf.gif
Word for word?
I've been keeping check on both threads, so I suppose that explains why I mention that thread here
tongue.gif
The subjects are entwined.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ