Gaming What's a good anti-virus?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah AVG failed to pick up over 20 trojans for me. I did daily scans, it picked up nothing. And one day I wanted that extra protection, installed the trial of Kaspersky Internet Security, and it picked up so many trojans that AVG didn't.

AVG = Fail.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To mention just one area where AVG sucks balls, read its EULA. Accepting it gives AVG the permission to delete any file on your computer without warning... amongst other things.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I run Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't had any issues. It's done the job really well for me. I do run Avira on another computer, and haven't had any issues with that either. I'll cast my vote to either.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
The one I use is Kaspersky IS 2010(any newer version is better. My father renewed it, however.)
It's a decent AV. Great detection rate and it's not that heavy on resources.

I watch AV test videos by languy99 on YT. His videos are the bomb on testing different anti-viruses and you'd definitely want to check them out. GDATA and Kaspersky usually get the best results on his videos. IIRC, it is pricey from $30-50 online.
But any middle-class AV would do as long as you're not into too much piracy and unsafe web browsing. Although some trusted websites do have hidden or unexpected viruses.
Another help for me is Web of Trust, usually gives info on websites' safety and danger warnings

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. I just got tired of torrenting keys for it.

Anyways, I installed Avira Premium Security Suite, and my browsers don't work unless I disable "AntiVir WebGuard". Firefox is in the allow list, but no sites loaded. Disabled the webguard, then everything is working. Someone tell me what to do?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
I had Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. I just got tired of torrenting keys for it.

Anyways, I installed Avira Premium Security Suite, and my browsers don't work unless I disable "AntiVir WebGuard". Firefox is in the allow list, but no sites loaded. Disabled the webguard, then everything is working. Someone tell me what to do?
Well.. I'd suggest not pirating Avira, but if you insist I would disable webguard.
I suggest using AdBlock+ and NoScript in it's place. Pages will load faster without all the ads and other garbage.

With a quick search I found this which might be helpful:QUOTE1) Start antivir GUI
2) in the "Online protection" I deactivate both Webguard and Mailguard
3) also the Antivir Guard must be deactivated
4) reboot the system and always all is ok

Man... after reading up on this problem I don't think I should be recommending avira anymore.
Their support is absolute RUBBISH: http://forum.avira.de/wbb/index.php?page=T...threadID=119363

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh, I guess I did it good then.

And yeah, I have Adblock+ installed. I had NoScript, but I had trouble figuring out how to work it to watch YouTube and other flash videos and other formats online. So I don't bother with it now.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Huh, I guess I did it good then.

And yeah, I have Adblock+ installed. I had NoScript, but I had trouble figuring out how to work it to watch YouTube and other flash videos and other formats online. So I don't bother with it now.
NoScript creates a whitelist (black list blocks what is listed, white list blocks everything that is not listed) of sites to allow scripts to run from.
Unfortunately some sites like Youtube has a some poorly named sub-sites that serve scripts (ytimg.com, there use to be others) that need to be whitelisted as well as the main site.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I watch a lot of flash videos on different sites, and last time, NoScript was blocking YouTube all together. I didn't know how to add an exception or anything. So I just said "fuck it"

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't recommend any software firewalls. They barely stop shit (anything you need to port forward on your router you need to let through a software firewall too), can be disabled with less permissions than something needs to disable your AV, and in general just get in the way because they're overprotective nowadays and try to stop all sorts of shit that's not actually a problem, just so they can claim that they stop more than their competitors and convince people to buy them.

As for noscript, it's another "good concept, bad in practice" thing. More and more sites are using scripts and dynamic content everywhere, so it's more of a hinderance than a help unless you're absolutely paranoid. Browsers are getting tight on security nowadays so it's often plugins that get exploited (adobe reader, flash, and java have been huge targets as of late), using something like Flashblock that can block all plugins (until you click on them) is good. This way there's no messy config needed, and you simply need to click a youtube video to load it.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gah for god's sakes.

Okay, in simple terms, just a plain list, list things that I should have installed and add ons and what not.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. I download a lot of torrents and watch a lot of online videos. I just want to make sure because I share a network with my parents and they do a lot of online banking.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Gah for god's sakes.

Okay, in simple terms, just a plain list, list things that I should have installed and add ons and what not.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. I download a lot of torrents and watch a lot of online videos. I just want to make sure because I share a network with my parents and they do a lot of online banking.

Essentials:
Avira or other capable AV
Malwarebytes (this thing is actually fucking brilliant)
MSE (optional I suppose)

Addons:
Adblock+
NoScript (not really necessary, but if you want it...)

Paranoia-wise:
VPN if you're really scared about getting caught pirating

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Don't pirate your OS/AV.

2 - Avira or MSE for your antivirus. If there's a file your AV picks up you're not sure of, use this site to get a second opinion.
http://www.virustotal.com/

3 - Malwarebytes is my recommendation for anti-malware. Run it if your browser starts acting funky or you find installed toolbars and shit and they don't go away normally.

4 - Install a flash/plugin-blocking plugin for your browser.

But hey, if you're looking for lists there's some IN THE STICKY..

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just knew you were going to pull that damn ad out of your ass at me.

What's wrong with pirating the premium AV? That's what my Kaspersky was and it's been nothing but great (except for me having to get keys all the time).

I have AdBlock+ running and have had it running for the last couple months. NoScript I tried getting to run without causing problems, but it would stop like every video I wanted to watch, no idea how to work that thing to be honest with you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo