What was the first console you ever modded?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My renounce psp-1000
tongue.gif

Then 2000

Then dsi

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
My first mod was when I soft modded my Wii.
wub.gif

I was super scared through most of it 'cause I had no idea what was going on, but I got through it after reading various articles on the internet. Lucky for me, I already owned Twilight Princess before I had ever heard of a modded Wii.
happy.gif

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
First console I "modded" was my Game Boy Color to use a rechargeable battery from my camera. It was an ugly hack, but I made it to where I could take it out and charge it without any hassle.

My second was my PS2. I used pieces of an old credit card and superglue to block the sensors so I could use swap magic.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ineap09 said:
My first mod was when I soft modded my Wii.
wub.gif

I was super scared through most of it 'cause I had no idea what was going on, but I got through it after reading various articles on the internet. Lucky for me, I already owned Twilight Princess before I had ever heard of a modded Wii.
happy.gif
That's exactly how I modded my wii... Back before backup loaders and cIOSs (that's right, I did it for homebrew, not piracy) and the homebrew channel was still in beta.

I guess my second would have to be my iPod, if jailbreaking counts? (actually I think I installed rockbox on my old Sansa mp3 player before modding my wii or iPod)

Also @sop aren't you only like 11 or something?

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Does filing the cart slot down on my Megadrive count, this allowed it to play imports so technically I modded it? After that I guess it would be running my N64/Doctor V64 system

Jasper07

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First my DS, I remember that I was amazed by the idea that you could just get games from the internet and put them on your R4. And that R4's costed 80 euro's.
Second was my PS2, I would've modded it earlier, but my brother wouldn't let me. So I bought my own.
Now I want to mod the PS3, but again, my parents won't let me and my brother doesn't have brains.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Jasper07 said:
Now I want to mod the PS3, but again, my parents won't let me and my brother doesn't have brains.

Lol, think you should read up on the CFW threads in here. They went ballistic yesterday, many people bitching about bricks even though the software comes with a disclaimer. People are still kicking right off as we speak. Although, I think alot of people didn't read the README file for correct installtion instructions, or just skipped some steps

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Densetsu3000 said:
You guys are young!

The first console I ever modded was my SNES back in the days of junior high.

American SNES consoles couldn't play Japanese games because the consoles had two little tabs inside the game slot that would stick out and prevent the Japanese cartridge from fully inserting. American cartridges had holes inside of them to allow room for the tabs. To mod a SNES console to play Japanese games, all you had to do was stick a chisel or screwdriver inside the slot right against the tab, and hit it with a hammer to pop the tabs right off. BAM, region-free SNES!
smile.gif
My Snes too.
But it was the contrary, playing USA cartridge on PAL system.

First, I used to use an adapter (the one with 2 cartridges inserted, PAL behind and imported game on the front) to play my first imported game, secret of Mana.
But some games (FF6 mainly) didn't work fully with it, as it didn't convert the signal to 60Hz
frown.gif

So I had a modchip installed, with a switch to convert games in 50/60Hz.
PAL consoles had black bar at top and bottom of the screen, going to 60Hz corrected the image aspect ratio and 17% speed up
biggrin.gif

Then came the Super fighter pro II (Snes copier to floppy disk), but it wasn't mine, so I waited for an Snes emulator for PC (the first one in ~1995 didn't have sound and no transparency support).

Jasper07

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bazamuffin said:
Jasper07 said:

Lol, think you should read up on the CFW threads in here. They went ballistic yesterday, many people bitching about bricks even though the software comes with a disclaimer. People are still kicking right off as we speak. Although, I think alot of people didn't read the README file for correct installtion instructions, or just skipped some steps

haha yea Ive read it, I guess Ill wait until a solid cfw comes out where sony is unable to see if you played backups and then my brother cant deny.

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My first modded console was my original (big grey) PS1, which is still going strong today!

I didn't do much except for that and my DS, but my friend has modded almost every console he ever had.

drewmerc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well this thread seems populated by 12 year olds (sorry) lets go old school
my first piracy tool was a sharp twin cassette deck for speccy and c64
LHj53.jpg

first true piracy tool for snes and megadrive
rVR5U.jpg

first hard mod ps1
ps1chip.JPG

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I didn't think that this thread would go so well. Well, I guess it's time to explain my ps3 experiences
rolleyes.gif

I got my ps3 for my birthday. Wish I read more about it, about how sony stupidly took out ps2 playback on some models. That was part of the reason I wanted it because my older one broke. I ended up buying a whole other ps2. Lucky their cheap now of days.

I heard about the homebrew scene getting good over their, so with my birthday money I bought myself a dongle. I installed some homebrew like snes and my dad tried to play Mario on it. He kept falling
laugh.gif

After like 3 months of using the dongle, I had saw that geohot had made a CFW for the lastest firmware. Homebrew worked, but backups did not. I didn't mind though. Though you should have seen my face when I was installing it. As I think I would have fainted if it bricked. My dad would have killed me
blink.gif

Now I have some homebrew on the latest firmware with netflix also.

Another thing, I will NOT EVEN TOUCH waninkokos firmware, as I don't want to be apart the of bricking party that's happening because of that
laugh.gif

D

Deleted_171835

My DS.
I stumbled upon GBAtemp while looking for a good flashcard. I purchased an Acekard 2i with a 2GB MicroSD. My first flashcard wasn't an R4 unlike a whole lot of other people.

After that, I soft-modded my Wii and purchased a 1TB external HDD. I was more familiar with the DS and Wii scene when I hacked my Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1