What was the first console you ever modded?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nujui, Jan 18, 2011.

Jan 18, 2011
  1. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I was thinking about when this when I was reading a thread on wii hacks and it came to mind. So I'll start.

I think the first was my ds. I had gotten a ds for my birthday and I also had my dad buy me a R4, as That was the cheapest. I had bought one with a 4 gig minisd, and due to me not looking up things about the R4, I didn't know that the one I had only could support 2 gig or lower. When I tried to explain it to my dad, he got mad and said how is that possible. I told him, but he still didn't understand. But eventually, I bought another one. The right one this time and I was now playing ds games on my R4. Lucky mine can work with wood, so I don't have to buy another.

I've pretty much hacked all my consoles, but we would be here all day if I explain what I went through with those. Unless you want to hear that.

So what was the first console you ever modded? and did you ever come into any problems? Like bricking or having the wrong things?

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Only thing I've ever learned how to "mod" while pieces were still readily available was my DS.

I bought an Original R4 by pure luck only because it was the cheapest R4 I could find ($4), and I had only heard of the R4 brand. I then had zero funds and couldn't pick up a 2gb MicroSD card until December that year. It sucked. Now, as I await my new DSlite from Nintendo (which should have showed up today, fucking UPS), I need to get another 2gb MicroSD card, as I lent mine to my sister, and she's making the biggest fuss about returning it.

Yeah, I haven't tried everything else. My SNES, PS2, Gamecube, GBA, PS3, they all remain untouched.

3. Zerox8610

Member Zerox8610 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmmm... My original PSP 1000 I believe. Fun times.

I wouldn't call flashcarts on DS modding though, since you yourself aren't installing anything to the DS. Unless you use FlashMe..

4. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    My Lite. Which ended up suiciding few months later.
    Still works, though.

5. Nujui
    OP

United States
    Well, with some consoles you have to buy things in order to hack them. Like the xbox 360. If you don't have to tools to do it, you can't hack it. Like with the ds. No flashcart, no hack

6. darkreaperofdrea

Member darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
  7. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Gameboy Advance. It's really easy to mod in a backlight, but I had to plug the GBA into a PC to write to the flash cart. Good times!

8. darkriku2000

Member darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    First softmod, PSP 1000 Lumines Hack. First hardmod, pandora battery pin removal trick.

9. Zerox8610

Member Zerox8610 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's what I really disliked about the DS in general. Buying carts....
    The PSP homebrew scene had it going great for quite a while but now it's kinda dry. (Lets hope those keys get put to use! [​IMG] )

10. Nujui
    OP

United States
    They have actually. Someone signed homebrew, though it's just a like a proof of concept. Though from what I read here:http://pspslimhacks.com/6-35-hen-signed-can-be-run-from-the-xmb-no-hbl-required/ Hen may have been signed as well.

11. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    My Game Boy Color... Back in 1999 [​IMG]

12. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sega Saturn

13. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    First console? Wii
    First platform in general? My PSP-2000

14. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Is using a flashcard modding? :/

Anyways, for me it was PSP 1000. Back when it first came out. I hacked it, and I only knew how to put SNES emulator on it. And I remember the start up, it was like a picture of Yoshi with a remixed Super Mario World song. It was awesome.

15. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Wii. I remember back when the Twilight Hack first came out. Good times.

16. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The first console in my house ever to be modded was my brother's Slim PS2 (Swap Magic).

After that, I finally bought a G6DS Real for my DS because I was tired of buying so many games. Then I had around 15 Wii games when my brother decided to Twilight Princess Hack my Wii, and he then modded his 360. Now the only thing in the house that isn't modded is both our PS3s which were just waiting for the PS3 hacks to be more stable and make sure Sony doesn't have any tricks up their sleeves on this one.

Also, both our PSP 1000s are in there somewhere (Probably after my DS).

17. bladepwnedyou

Member bladepwnedyou GBAtemp Regular

United States
    First Console I ever modded was the wii with the twilight hack. Wanted virtual console games and stuff
    Second was a psp when i realized how simple it was with a pandora battery.

18. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I've never modded a console, but I did help a friend spray paint his GBC many years ago. It turned out well.

19. al5911

Member al5911 GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    Wii on sm 4.0. Mod it using 'mixed' guides all over the net!!! At that time I don't even know GBATemp yet [​IMG] . It was 2 years back. Now I'm soooo lucky to be a member at GBATemp (so good for all of its guides,tutorials,reviews,news,etc). Feel very proud when succeeded with the softmod on my wii. Now I'm on sm 4.2 with priiloader 0.4.
    Before my wii, I already mod my psp1000. My kid accidentally updated the FW with the UMD!!! I hardmod the battery into pandora.... took about 2 days to configure all that!!! I'm a NOOBZ ... [​IMG]

20. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    You guys are young!

The first console I ever modded was my SNES back in the days of junior high.

American SNES consoles couldn't play Japanese games because the consoles had two little tabs inside the game slot that would stick out and prevent the Japanese cartridge from fully inserting. American cartridges had holes inside of them to allow room for the tabs. To mod a SNES console to play Japanese games, all you had to do was stick a chisel or screwdriver inside the slot right against the tab, and hit it with a hammer to pop the tabs right off. BAM, region-free SNES! [​IMG]

*EDIT*
    Here are some pics

Another website