What was the first console/device you modded/hacked?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 8,918
  • Replies Replies 108
  • Likes Likes 1
i had a dreamcast bootdisc and many burnt games in 2000, and one of those plug into the back modchips for psx soon after.
 
i had a dreamcast bootdisc and many burnt games in 2000, and one of those plug into the back modchips for psx soon after.
the one that goes into the parallel port? aren't those versions of the ps1 becoming slightly rare? I have one.
 
Mine is the Wiiiiiii good times. I remember back in the day I had no idea what was going on but I blindly followed tutorials to install homebrew channel, IOSes, and USB Loader GX and finally a backup from my HDD worked. Ahh good times.
 
The Wii around the time bannerbomb came out for 4.2. Can't remember why I wanted to hack it but I never looked back after that. Just happened to end up being one of the greatest homebrew scenes ever. Also helped that affordable laptops that weren't awful were still a novelty back then.
 
Not counting burned PC games or hardware swapping/upgrading, I'd have been tempted to say installing FlashMe on my old DS Phat. Then the second post reminded me of my first cell phone, a Motorola V190. Even as far as flip-phones went in late 2005 it was pretty low-end - no Bluetooth or camera, less than 30MB of user-available memory, etc. To move ringtones (MIDI format, of course; it could play MP3 and I think even WMA, but with the lack of storage space you'd have to cut them down to 24-32Kbps just to compete with MIDI's low size) onto it you'd have to use a mix of at least three proprietary or third-party programs, and through months of trial and error I figure I'm one of maybe a half-dozen people in the world who ever managed to install any J2ME/Java apps over USB - lord knows there wasn't any documentation for it, and guides for other Motorola phones only worked up to a certain point. I clearly remember installing an unfinished Minish Cap style Zelda demo and some sort of eBook reader (which was surprisingly robust for running on a 128x160 screen, although adjusting the font and size was a pain in the ass).
 
the one that goes into the parallel port? aren't those versions of the ps1 becoming slightly rare? I have one.
yeah easiest to mod console ever just plug it in, i think parallel ports are fairly common though it's the standard RCA jacks that are rare.
parallel ports weren't removed until 1999 and the PSone came out soon after.
 
yeah easiest to mod console ever just plug it in, i think parallel ports are fairly common though it's the standard RCA jacks that are rare.
parallel ports weren't removed until 1999 and the PSone came out soon after.
that's the net yaroze model... which from what i remember is a devkit
 
i started in the days of the psx and n64. i super glued the discdrive door sensor down so that the drive would engage while the door was up. you can bypass psx copyright checks and load copied games by swaping discs at the right times. also with the n64, a particular model of the gameshark device had a parallel port. someone created a program that could read the gameshark as an external device on the pc and allow you to dump roms from whatever cartridge was connected.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VinsCool
Had every console since the commodore 64. Start pirating on BBS in the 90. First thing i ever mod was a PSX. Then a long modding continuity on everything that ever exist start ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: WeedZ
The first console i modded was a psone back in 2003 i think. Damn i was 6 years old back then xD
I still have that thing and play it occasionally.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted