What was the first console/device you modded/hacked?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by LiveLatios, May 3, 2016.

1. LiveLatios
    OP

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    Title. I want to know what was the first device you modified/hacked, wether it be building a pc, hacking a phone, modding an xbox, etc.

Mine was a psp 1000 that i installed a CFW to when i was 9, i remember how annoying it was to get the proper files for the "magic" memory stick, and to remember which pin on the battery i had to cut in order to make it a pandora battery...

Tomato Hentai likes this.

2. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    My own PC. But I don't know if PC counts as it's like hacked from the start, you can do whatever you want without any modification.

Then came my gamecube, but I don't know if that count because I bough it already chipped. as for handhelds my GBA SP, but then again I don't know if flashcards really count as hacking/modding.
    My Wii probably was then the first console I modded myself and my PSP go was the first handheld, fiddling with hacks and ports on my DSi was fun but then again a flashcard did the dirty work.

Now that I think more, the first device I had heavily modded was my good'ol Nokia 3600.

EDIT: btw I'm referring to this Nokia 3600, not the shit feature phone released years later Nokia 3600 slide. Symbian4Life
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Sakitoshi, May 4, 2016
  3. JamiePashley

JamiePashley Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2011
    United Kingdom
    England
    For me it would be my PS2 about 6-7 years ago, could be longer. I still have it to this day, and got it to run backups from disk. I may one day make it run from HDD if i ever find the effort

4. Hoppy

Hoppy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Fluffy Island
    I installed The Homebrew Channel to my Wii because I wanted to play Brawl hacks.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It was not really a thing like it is today but I imagine everybody had copied amiga games and things for prior consoles when it was simple as having dual tape decks.

Device wise I often had little kit electronic cars (not remote control, that was far too expensive and even the good ones only turned in reverse at the time) which I lightly modified to go faster (more voltage and tweaked gears).

Not sure what I did between pre NES and PS1 (which were all mod chipped as a matter of course), though amiga, PC and such all figured heavily around then so my lack of flash carts then probably did not make a lot of odds.

I think I said before but I got a tool kit for Christmas when I was 5, I used it to pull apart things and have done so ever since.

raulpica likes this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Started hacking on the Old xbox in... '03 iirc.

7. Froster

Froster Your Music Producer

Sep 6, 2015
    Italy
    that MIDI sequencer
    Wii
    Just wanted to play some backup and some hacks.

kprovost7314 likes this.
  8. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Commodore 64, added a reset button.

DinohScene likes this.
  9. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    My first console was the Wii. I remember the time when there weren't hacks out yet for Wii 4.0 firmware. I was so excited when the bannerblock exploit came out. I remember playing some homebrew and trying the homebrew installer even though it failed (it was before the hacks were updated and the Wii became the most hackable device ever). I had a lot of fun with the Wii hacking.

10. teegeeack

teegeeack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    sega genesis. early 1990s, got some mega drive cartridges from japan. they looked like they should fit into the genesis cartridge slot, but of course they did not.

there was no internet. well. there was an internet, sort of. but there was no worldwide web that was easily accessible to the public. so i couldn't just pop onto a forum and ask people "do japanese mega drive cartridges work in a genesis? how do i make it work?"

information about a great many obscure topics could be very scarce to the average person back then.

no. i didn't have information. i only had intuition. i used an iron file to shave away the corners of the cartridge slot so that the mega drive cartridges would fit into the genesis, uncertain about whether or not the cartridges would actually work with the console. probably the safer solution would have been to remove the top of the genesis' shell and try the cartridges in the partially dismantled console before making any permanent alterations. but i was a little bit intrepid, i guess. fortunately, the cartridges did end up working.

strangely enough, it seems that this method is widely discussed on the internet nowadays, and it's generally considered a sufficiently "correct" solution to the MD-carts-with-genesis-console dilemma. complete coincidence, since i never told anyone about it, nor did i ever bother to look it up (see if anybody else filed their genesis cartridge slots down) until recently.

Last edited by teegeeack, May 3, 2016
    cearp likes this.
  11. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Our Wii. I still haven't done exactly what I want to do with it yet, though. Currently just have the Homebrew Channel installed.

12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    how did you mod the nes? how did you pirated games?

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Flash carts and copier devices have long existed for the NES, however I have not really gone back and looked at what goes and what went at the time. Most would have been awkward, expensive and very low in storage. Equally depending upon what you want to count the game genie as then that could be modification of some form. Emulation was also sort of a thing at various points, though that was a bit later.

14. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    • The first hacked console I owned: PS2 Slim (bought it already chipped)
    • The first console I hacked: PSP Slim (well, it's a handheld system actually)
    I wish I had kept that PS2 Slim chipped because it'd be great to have around 'cause I could just load up any game now.

15. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I believe mine was my PSP 2000, several years ago. After that I was always looking to push the envelope on my gadgets, with the Wii being the next one to get hacked. If I take a trip, the Wii and PSP go with me. I port over all my current savedata from Dolphin to the Wii and make sure the PSP has a nice charged battery.

16. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Soldered a WiiKey in my Wii back in 07. Whew, that was nerve-wracking, but it went well :P Since then I've become quite skilled with a soldering iron, so pretty much nothing scares me anymore ;)

BORTZ, Tomato Hentai and ihaveamac like this.
  17. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    PS2 Master Race here, best homebrew platform between 2003-2008, until the Wii scene obliterated everything else.

I still occasionally fire up my PS2 linux rig to perform some speed tests (32mb of RAM can tell you how well your program performs under lowmem conditions), or OPL with my USB hard drive, but life gets in the way ):

18. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    What kind of homebrew does the PS2 have? I've been interested in purchasing one for a long time now.

19. Drona

Drona Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2014
    France
    My first hacked devices ?
    Pro CFW on my PSP 3000 and M3i0 for my DSI XL.
    I still have them. :)

20. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Well, you have PS2 Linux with kernels varying between 2.2 and 3.8, you have """backup""" loaders like Open PS2 Loader (OPL) which supports loading games from USB, internal HDD (only phats) and network SAMBA.

You can use uLaunchELF for file managing and launching homebrew (like a very primitive version of hbc with file management and memory card access), Simple Media System (SMS) to play Xvid videos (up to 720p) and music, and a lot of emulators, NES, GB/C, SNES, SMS/Genesis, you got games like Doom, Quake, official ports of Half Life and Unreal Tournament that can be played with OPL, and a lot of other stuff.

It was both beautiful and amazing to see such a scene back then, too bad it's about to die. At least when the PS2 becomes 'vintage' in the 2040's we may see it resurrect :P

I'm sure I forgot about a lot of stuff, but the point is, it's either the same as the 3DS' or even better to give you an idea.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to include POPSLoader, which runs a modded POPS-00001 for PS2 that launches PS1 backups. Yes, they run from USB as well, I've tested a few games and they work pretty much like a native PS1 except for the in game reset

Last edited by Wolfvak, May 3, 2016