What was the first console/device you modded/hacked?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 8,916
  • Replies Replies 108
  • Likes Likes 1
Well, you have PS2 Linux with kernels varying between 2.2 and 3.8, you have """backup""" loaders like Open PS2 Loader (OPL) which supports loading games from USB, internal HDD (only phats) and network SAMBA.

You can use uLaunchELF for file managing and launching homebrew (like a very primitive version of hbc with file management and memory card access), Simple Media System (SMS) to play Xvid videos (up to 720p) and music, and a lot of emulators, NES, GB/C, SNES, SMS/Genesis, you got games like Doom, Quake, official ports of Half Life and Unreal Tournament that can be played with OPL, and a lot of other stuff.

It was both beautiful and amazing to see such a scene back then, too bad it's about to die. At least when the PS2 becomes 'vintage' in the 2040's we may see it resurrect :P

I'm sure I forgot about a lot of stuff, but the point is, it's either the same as the 3DS' or even better to give you an idea.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to include POPSLoader, which runs a modded POPS-00001 for PS2 that launches PS1 backups. Yes, they run from USB as well, I've tested a few games and they work pretty much like a native PS1 except for the in game reset
Well.. to be fair, the psp also had/has a great homebrew community
 
Well, you have PS2 Linux with kernels varying between 2.2 and 3.8, you have """backup""" loaders like Open PS2 Loader (OPL) which supports loading games from USB, internal HDD (only phats) and network SAMBA.

You can use uLaunchELF for file managing and launching homebrew (like a very primitive version of hbc with file management and memory card access), Simple Media System (SMS) to play Xvid videos (up to 720p) and music, and a lot of emulators, NES, GB/C, SNES, SMS/Genesis, you got games like Doom, Quake, official ports of Half Life and Unreal Tournament that can be played with OPL, and a lot of other stuff.
so basically... "best homebrew" if you just pretend like xbox never existed.
 
When I was a kid, I scrapped the sides off the cartridge port of my Sega MegaDrive so I could insert Japanese cartridges. Does that count? :P

In terms of an actual mod, I installed a modchip in my Sega Saturn.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted User
Installed CFW on a psp 3001, before that, little noob me didn't know about CFW or emulators or anything lol :P
 
so basically... "best homebrew" if you just pretend like xbox never existed.
The PS2 had a real homebrew devkit (much like devkitPro nowadays), unlike the Xbox which used propietary libraries and compilers.
Homebrewing a Xbox was a PITA, while homebrewing a PS2 was actually enjoyable, everything 'Just Worked(tm)'

Besides, the only 'killer app' of the Xbox was XBMC, and even that was illegal to distribute.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted User
The original Wii, using Zelda exploit. Installed homebrew menu and some needed IOS files. I was able to run backups from then. Had to wait a few months till a working USB loader was available.
 
I traded a 3DO for a Professor SF2 SNES backup unit. That was the first time I ever used ROM images. The first console that I ever modded was a Playstation One. I had never touched a soldering iron before I put the chip in an I was super nervous and had ZERO amount of practice, but it worked.
 
Firstly, it was my PC (that I built with my father when I was 13)
Then, it was my BELOVED Nokia N900 (installed Android on it. R.I.P. my dear digital friend :()
As for the consoles, it was my DS (watched about 100 episodes of Pokemon from it)
Then 3DS, Wii U, another 3DS, etc...
 
FIrst console I "modded" was my DS when I got an R4. I know it's the bare basics of flashcards, but I was only in high school when I got it, so eh. Might get a new one someday to use on my 3DS.

Second console was my Wii. Oh my lord that was fun. I mainly hacked it to play with Brawl hacks back in the day. I vaguely remember the day that the file patch code for music came out.

Third goes to my 3DS. I installed homebrew on my brother's 3DS because his firmware was low enough for browserhax, so I set that up no problem. However, not too long after that, people discovered that downgrading on 10.7 was possible, so I bought a copy of OoT3D and went to town.

Fourth console modded goes to vWii. Bought Brawl within the last week and used Smash Stack to install homebrew. HDD wasn't working, so I bought a Y cable and a bigger SD card. Works wonderfully.

Final goes to the Wii U. With the new "released" exploit, we finally have access to things that many others had. Haven't done much yet because this is so new to me. Need to get my feet wet.
 
My SNES with Doctor VI Disk Drive. Best thing about it was the Golden Finger cheat codes and the ability to have one RealTime Slave slot that was saveable and also SRAM back ups. I remember fondly playing Fire Emblem III, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger on that thing with the help of Real Time Saves. SNES Master Race at that time lol
 
Last edited by 3dsn00b,
My first foray into console modding begins with the xbox 1 back when i was in high-school. I had an xecuter3 chip, clear jewel on the top case with cold cathode shining through and i simple paint job, nice and clean! Pretty sure i've got some pictures here somewhere.... Heres one:
5e24d102.jpg

Second foray into console modding was an original DS phat, I had a PassMe and a GBAMP (CF version) and used that to play homebrews from Chishm's website (drunkencoders)

Third, would of been DS lites/DSi's with Acekard2i flashcard, but that was purely just piracy, never played a homebrew on these consoles in my life. Lol.

Fourth and Fifth is PS Vita and PS3 respectively. I've got a PSV1000 on fw 3.18, CECHA02 PS3 on fw 3.55 and a PS3 slim on core fw 3.55 but with updated rebug cfw. The slim PS3 has a crystal clear case with a red LED illuminated cooling fan, it looks pretty cool, but i would like to install a few more LED's inside the case!
 
My first would be my Nintendo Wii, which I still own and play to this day
I installed the homebrew channel and started playing emulators and stuff because I knew little about piracy and modifying system data.
 
When I was a kid, I scrapped the sides off the cartridge port of my Sega MegaDrive so I could insert Japanese cartridges. Does that count? :P
I did similar with the SNES. Fortunately, my father had a tool that fit down into the cartridge slot to clip out the plastic tabs there to block Japanese cartridges.

Even with this, I still only made it so far in FF5 and just gave up until the fan translation appeared a short time later.
 

Site & Scene News