Hacking What video types does MPlayer CE play?

mattster99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious because I know it plays .AVI but it doesn't play .MKV files.

Anyone know what file types it can play?

Thanks for viewing and have a great night.

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It will play them but the wii's hardware isn't really upto playing them and you get lots of juddering and it's un-watchable

Here's what's listed in the fileext file

3gp
aac
ape
apl
asf
avi
bin
dat
divx
dvr-ms
evo
flac
flv
ifo
img
m1v
m2v
m4a
m4p
m4v
mac
mdf
mka
mkv
mov
mp2
mp3
mp4
mp4v
mpc
mpe
mpeg
mpg
nsv
ogg
ogm
qt
ra
rm
rmvb
shn
swf
ts
vdr
vob
vro
wav
wma
wmv
y4m

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mattster99 said:
I was just curious because I know it plays .AVI but it doesn't play .MKV files.

Anyone know what file types it can play?

Thanks for viewing and have a great night.
My experience with MKV files and MPlayer CE has actually been pretty good. You just have to make sure it's standard definition. AVI/XVID is the best format to use with MPlayer CE, but I've had it work with everything from MKV to RMVB (contrary to what the WiiBrew page says). It seems to depend more on what the Wii can handle in terms of processing power rather than what file type you're using.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember that MKV files are containers, not an actual format. If the video is encoded in XVID or something, it ought to work just fine. H.264, on the other hand, will stutter like mad.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mattster99 said:
Thanks alot guys, I might try another MKV file on the component setting of the wii, see how that is.
Component vs. composite isn't going to make any difference as to what your Wii can handle (although the picture will look mildly better). I will tell you that videos played on the Wii tend to look better on a standard 480i television rather than on a high definition TV. It's a resolution thing.

QUOTE(FenrirWolf @ Feb 27 2010, 11:44 PM) Remember that MKV files are containers, not an actual format. If the video is encoded in XVID or something, it ought to work just fine. H.264, on the other hand, will stutter like mad.
That's not entirely true. The MKV files I referred to earlier are encoded as H.264; they're just standard definition. They work fine.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
New to this as I never really thought of using the Wii for media playback. Can I just install hermes cios 202-v4 to use this or does it use a specific installer?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodlust said:
New to this as I never really thought of using the Wii for media playback. Can I just install hermes cios 202-v4 to use this or does it use a specific installer?
Nope, that's pretty much all you need to do. They even have a download link for it.

http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/downloads/list

I can also say from experience that v5 of Hermes' installer works fine, too. Also, r567 beta of MPlayer CE seems to work better for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox +1