What the Dreamcast did right, where did it go wrong?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
For the record dreamcast disc hods more data than gamecube disc right? Cause i can't remember, gamecube didn't do well cause of the small disc to reduce piracy but mean up to 4X loss of available data compared to DVD disc ps2 and xbox had, so i mean that was a thing. :rolleyes:
Nope. Dreamcast games had a max of 1GB, GC had a max of 1.5GB.

mr_lunar_magnet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record dreamcast disc hods more data than gamecube disc right? Cause i can't remember, gamecube didn't do well cause of the small disc to reduce piracy but mean up to 4X loss of available data compared to DVD disc ps2 and xbox had, so i mean that was a thing. :rolleyes:
Gamecube has slightly bigger disc capacity from what I've read, the Dreamcast GD-Roms holding 1.2 GB while the GameCube discs are 1.4 GB in capacity.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ya beat me to it haha

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that now even worst for dream cast, and nintendo didn't do well with gamecube i think for the disc problem and lack of support as well, so now it seem like the same thing. Nintendo pulld a sega dreamcast move, even kinda like the vmu thing can be like the gba link feature for the gamecube, sonic adventure was improved a lot more with the transition. Sucks it was lost when ported to ps3/xbox 360 and pc. They should have a smartphone app to go with soinc adventue 2 when they ported it. :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Dreamcast was slated to get DVD playback at one point, but given it was 1998, it would have been way too expensive to implement, maybe then...

I remember seeing a picture of the external Dreamcast DVD drive in a issue of EGM Magazine. My two cents, I think the lack of DVD support killed the Dremacast. The graphics were decent for that time and even the controllers could be updated with L and R bumpers and a second stick at a later time. For the most part Dreamcast had everything good going for it except DVD. Eventually one of two would have happened either you'd get lots of GameCube/Dreamcast ports due to disc size or developers would have ditched the Dreamcast in the same way as GameCube due to disc size.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember seeing a picture of the external Dreamcast DVD drive in a issue of EGM Magazine. My two cents, I think the lack of DVD support killed the Dremacast. The graphics were decent for that time and even the controllers could be updated with L and R bumpers and a second stick at a later time. For the most part Dreamcast had everything good going for it except DVD. Eventually one of two would have happened either you'd get lots of GameCube/Dreamcast ports due to disc size or developers would have ditched the Dreamcast in the same way as GameCube due to disc size.

The biggest issue was cost, for 1998, DVD playback was extremely expensive, it just wasn't meant to be; Dreamcast would've stayed afloat much longer, maybe.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The 32X, SegaCD, and Saturn killed the Dreamcast.

They had no public trust anymore.
Agreed

Sega killed the dreamcast with its mistakes from the past.

Plus the hype machine of the ps2 with its 'emotion engine' and DVD player.

The dreamcast closely rivalled the ps2 in game performance and with vga out, was far ahead of the pack.

While this had nothing to do with its downfall, I always thought that it was very poor foresight of sega to only include 1 analogue stick on the controller. But the ability to use a keyboard and mouse made up for it I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: