What should I do with these broken handhelds?

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just accidentally bricked my GBC and partially bricked my DS Lite.

I was attempting the frontlight GBC mod but I'm guessing I probably damaged the motherboard when I was soldering the necessary wire because now my GBC won't turn on.

As for my DS Lite, my DS Lite has had this problem for awhile now where the top screen is always white and I would have to fiddle with it to get it to look normal (also the colors of both screens look faded compared to my GBA SP AGS-101). So I thought I could just take apart my DS Lite and see if there's anything wrong with the ribbon cable. Upon putting my DS Lite back together, it won't even turn on anymore; the green light will go on for about 2 seconds, and the bottom screen will flash white and that's it. However, if I put in a GBA game, then it will actually turn on and play just fine, but no sound coming out of the speakers.

I'm not bummed about these losses at all actually, considering how I have a job and can easily buy replacements, and I already have 2 Game Boy Pockets, another GBC, a GBA SP AGS-101, and a 3DS XL, so obviously bricking a GBC and a DS Lite really isn't a big loss for me. Now I'm kinda wondering what kind of projects I can do with these, since spare parts are always helpful.

I'm already planning on turning my now semi-bricked DS Lite into a GBA, but I'm wondering how I can get the speakers to work.

Right now I have:
*a working GBA SP AGS-001 motherboard (no screen or case)
*a working GBA SP AGS-001 speaker
*a silverish-goldish GBC case of the special Pokemon edition (the one where Pikachu's cheek is the battery indicator, this special edition GBC happens to be the one I bricked today)
*a GBC speaker
*a DS Lite that only works if you put in a GBA game

Anyone want to give me ideas on some crazy projects I could work on?

Chaos Rush

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With your soldering record?

Maybe work on easy projects first, i.e. like not busting handhelds when modding them.
Not to burst your bubble dude, but I don't see how you could say that when I've only "busted" one handheld with my "soldering record", and you have no idea what modding projects I've done in the past. I wasn't even modding my DS Lite, I was just opening it up. I don't see how one failed mod accounts to a bad "soldering record". My soldering iron didn't even touch my DS Lite.

That, and I've successfully fixed numerous electric guitars (with a soldering iron), and I've already done several successful modding projects, such as replacing the speaker on my GB Pocket, which, by the way, required a soldering iron. My GB Pocket works perfectly.

I'm pretty sure the reason why my GBC is busted is simply because of me not using the correct type of wire, and my soldering iron just being too big to solder things to tiny pins (when I look at tutorials online, everyone uses a smaller soldering iron). As for my DS Lite, I literally just opened it up and put it back together. This is a pretty common problem with the DS Lite, not to mention there were problems with it before I even opened it up; indicating that the ribbon cable was shit to begin with.

~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone have any actual suggestions as to what I could work on?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure the reason why my GBC is busted is simply because of me not using the correct type of wire, and my soldering iron just being too big to solder things to tiny pins

So, I guess the actual question you are asking is... what modding projects can you hope to achieve with a "too big" soldering iron and the wrong type of wire?

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
So I just accidentally bricked my GBC and partially bricked my DS Lite.

I was attempting the frontlight GBC mod but I'm guessing I probably damaged the motherboard when I was soldering the necessary wire because now my GBC won't turn on.

As for my DS Lite, my DS Lite has had this problem for awhile now where the top screen is always white and I would have to fiddle with it to get it to look normal (also the colors of both screens look faded compared to my GBA SP AGS-101). So I thought I could just take apart my DS Lite and see if there's anything wrong with the ribbon cable. Upon putting my DS Lite back together, it won't even turn on anymore; the green light will go on for about 2 seconds, and the bottom screen will flash white and that's it. However, if I put in a GBA game, then it will actually turn on and play just fine, but no sound coming out of the speakers.

I'm not bummed about these losses at all actually, considering how I have a job and can easily buy replacements, and I already have 2 Game Boy Pockets, another GBC, a GBA SP AGS-101, and a 3DS XL, so obviously bricking a GBC and a DS Lite really isn't a big loss for me. Now I'm kinda wondering what kind of projects I can do with these, since spare parts are always helpful.

I'm already planning on turning my now semi-bricked DS Lite into a GBA, but I'm wondering how I can get the speakers to work.

Right now I have:
*a working GBA SP AGS-001 motherboard (no screen or case)
*a working GBA SP AGS-001 speaker
*a silverish-goldish GBC case of the special Pokemon edition (the one where Pikachu's cheek is the battery indicator, this special edition GBC happens to be the one I bricked today)
*a GBC speaker
*a DS Lite that only works if you put in a GBA game

Anyone want to give me ideas on some crazy projects I could work on?

You bricked a Pokémon GBC???

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. repair it with a $2 ribbon cable, and maybe a $1 hinge.

OR..2. google "DS without top screen attached"

you can turn your DS Lite into a nice Gameboy Advance player, and its ridiclously easy, just solder an led to 2 points on the motherboard, thats it.
when a DS is turned on it checks the top screen for a current draw, so if your ribbon cable is damaged it will just shut itself off.

as for the GBC, you said it was a Pokemon Limited Edition?, why not do a "Shell Swap", go on ebay and buy a scratched-to-hell GBC, (approx $20), long as it has a working motherboard, then replace the mother board from your broken unit.

-sell "rare" GBC on ebay
- ????????
-PROFIT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-