screen replacement for gba sp

CaliousKai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i have a question I got a gba ags 001 and i bought a broken ds lite and was curious could i swap the screen with the ds lites screen? I'm asking because the screen on my gba is very dusty and i want to play my ff tactics and fire emblem 7 any help would be great thanks .

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are adapters to use the lower screen from a DSi in GBA & SP, but afaik it's specific to the DSi screen so wouldn't work with a DS Lite screen.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi i have a question I got a gba ags 001 and i bought a broken ds lite and was curious could i swap the screen with the ds lites screen? I'm asking because the screen on my gba is very dusty and i want to play my ff tactics and fire emblem 7 any help would be great thanks .
This is dumb in many ways because a DS Lite, even broken can boot GBA cartridges automatically as long as the "Display GBA Screen" is set to bottom.

If you're asking this is because you're willing to open your broken DS Lite, and here's my suggestion: Solder a 330ohm resistor (although you can get away with bigger than 330) and turn your broken DS Lite into a GBA Macro.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is dumb in many ways because a DS Lite, even broken can boot GBA cartridges automatically as long as the "Display GBA Screen" is set to bottom.

If you're asking this is because you're willing to open your broken DS Lite, and here's my suggestion: Solder a 330ohm resistor (although you can get away with bigger than 330) and turn your broken DS Lite into a GBA Macro.
Depends what's broken.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The screen is all foggy in my gba sp and i got a broken not working ds lite but when i tested the screen (they had power) granted these are top screens not the bottom part sothe marco idea is redundant
There's a way to make top screen work as bottom screen.
If you cut precisely (from left to right) two pins from the ribbon cable, it'll fit in bottom screen slot.
Post automatically merged:

The screen is all foggy in my gba sp and i got a broken not working ds lite but when i tested the screen (they had power) granted these are top screens not the bottom part sothe marco idea is redundant
Wait... did I understood this wrongly?
You saying you just bought broken top screen?

Also, just remembered that SPs has a potentiometer to manually adjust it's screen.
Don't know in which way, but it's something you could try.

images

CaliousKai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a way to make top screen work as bottom screen.
If you cut precisely (from left to right) two pins from the ribbon cable, it'll fit in bottom screen slot.

Wait... did I understood this wrongly?
You saying you just bought broken top screen?

Also, just remembered that SPs has a potentiometer to manually adjust it's screen.
Don't know in which way, but it's something you could try.

images
This helps alot thanks i work in storage and got two screens from a ds lite and i dk electronics as a hobby and i got a gba sp from a flea market and thought i could use one of the screens from the ds lites to replace the foggy gba one. Apologies for the misinformation.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This helps alot thanks i work in storage and got two screens from a ds lite and i dk electronics as a hobby and i got a gba sp from a flea market and thought i could use one of the screens from the ds lites to replace the foggy gba one. Apologies for the misinformation.
Yeah, you shouldn't omit information. When you said DS Lites I assumed you got complete consoles.
But still, the triming two pins from the Top Screen Ribbon cable to make it work as Bottom Screen is true.

Haven't done it myself, but the cut is very precise and easy to get it wrong.

Either way, no, you can't use a DS Lite screen as replacement for a GBA. Or at least I don't know how.

The potentiometer thing, you should try it before you attempt something with your console, although there's repro screens being sold in AliExpress and other sites, but on my opinion a complete broken DS Lite is better than a AGS-101 SP. Just do the resistor mod and you'll have a better GBA in your hands.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto