Is there any hope for my GBA SP?

Warukimedesu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hello. Long time lurker/outsider and first time user/poster.

The other day, I decided to pull the trigger on my first GBA ever from a local online marketplace. I asked the seller what the model was, and he showed me a blurred photo of the back label showing it was an AGS 101. Gullible me bit the bullet, sent the payment, and waited for the device to arrive. When I finally received it, it was clear that there's something very wrong with the device. First, no matter what the back label says, this wasn't a 101 (in hand, it's clear that the device has an aftermarket replacement shell, and the lable was bogus). But even if this was an 001, I thought the display would be better than this. The seller is ignoring my messages, I don't think I'll ever get a refund for this. Is there any hope to make this at least tolerable and playable? Is there a way to make it at least look like a stock 001, or would it be possible to replace the screen with a properly backlit one?

Thanks. I hope I'm not violating any rule with this post.

IMG_0515.JPG

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this looks like when the potentiometer is wrong when you do an AGS-101 mod on an original gba, maybe look to see if there's a potentiometer you can mess with somewhere?

if my guess is correct, this is probably where the potentiometer is, it should be easily accessible the moment you take off the bottom shell, hopefully you have a tri-wing screwdriver on hand

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by Latiodile,
Reactions: Warukimedesu

Warukimedesu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
this looks like when the potentiometer is wrong when you do an AGS-101 mod on an original gba, maybe look to see if there's a potentiometer you can mess with somewhere?

if my guess is correct, this is probably where the potentiometer is, it should be easily accessible the moment you take off the bottom shell, hopefully you have a tri-wing screwdriver on hand

View attachment 399492

Thanks! I did as you suggested, and I think it's now better. I haven't seen a GBA SP in person before this, but I guess this is as good as it gets with an AGS 001.

IMG_0521.JPG

Reactions: Latiodile

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks! I did as you suggested, and I think it's now better. I haven't seen a GBA SP in person before this, but I guess this is as good as it gets with an AGS 001.

View attachment 399494
it still looks a bit messed up, but that could also just be because cameras can't take good looking pictures of AGS-001 screens, maybe see if another game has similar issues? if you have another game, that is

Warukimedesu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
it still looks a bit messed up, but that could also just be because cameras can't take good looking pictures of AGS-001 screens, maybe see if another game has similar issues? if you have another game, that is

Haha, this is my only GBA cartridge. I ordered an EZ Flash Omega DE in anticipation of this moment, but it's still on it's way. Now I'm thinking if I should just return that, lol.

But the GBA spash screen looks as bad as this.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just an update, I successfully replaced the trash screen with an IPS v5 screen. It looks great, and the brightness controls and pixel effects look and work great as well.

View attachment 401827
Looks much better. :)
Post automatically merged:

Yes, I'm experiencing it. I'm just happy that it's usable. I'm thinking of getting a mahko battery from Funny Playing, will that make a difference?
It should make the battery life way times better, especially with USB-C charging.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...