GBA SP Zelda tri-force AGS-101… is it genuine?

millsinho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Just bought a gold GBA SP (Zelda tri-force edition) off Ebay. Photos of the rear clearly show it labelled as an AGS-101 model, but now I’m starting to worry that it might not be genuine as I can only find mention via Google of an AGS-001 version of this model. Does anyone know whether there was indeed a gold Zelda tri-force version of the AGS-101 too, or do I need to try to cancel my order quickly before it’s dispatched?!
Post automatically merged:

A few photos…

CF3D20A3-E407-4C48-BC73-3E8CE4073F14.jpeg
5FE5262E-CA0A-4BC7-8B8A-EF44740D4266.jpeg
23F46975-E471-44BF-9F9E-F02D99D7F804.jpeg

Last edited by millsinho,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
I highly doubt that there were any Zelda AGS-101. I have one in box, bought back in the days, and it's a 001.
Though I'm in France,...

millsinho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I highly doubt that there were any Zelda AGS-101. I have one in box, bought back in the days, and it's a 001.
Though I'm in France,...
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I’m starting to think the same. Apparently an AGS-101 screen should also look blacker when the console is switched off, but this looks more grey like the AGS-001 model. Think I will try to cancel the order.

weestuarty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That isnt genuine it has been reshelled. Look at the raised bumps to the left and right of the start and select. Those are caused by incorrect length screws or screws being forced in further than they are intended, either way that shell has been off and its likely its been an aftermarket shell.

also the nintendo logo on the front is very poor quality

millsinho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That isnt genuine it has been reshelled. Look at the raised bumps to the left and right of the start and select. Those are caused by incorrect length screws or screws being forced in further than they are intended, either way that shell has been off and its likely its been an aftermarket shell.

also the nintendo logo on the front is very poor quality
Thanks, really appreciate you confirming my doubts. I’ve just submitted my request to cancel the order.

Reactions: Hanafuda

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This XU number must be different for each console, right?

Better buy from this seller, he also has the same XU number and the corner of the label is not spoiled.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144133406130
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yUkAAOSwqWphBMe0/s-l1600.jpg

Or you can buy a new sticker here, also the same XU number (picture number 6)
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004529674966.html
https://ae04.alicdn.com/kf/Sf4fbca0cd2e7469a8f53dc897945b0ddO.jpg

You can of course buy another number, but for real triforce it is better to have one with three fours

Last edited by r1vver,

weestuarty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
XU number is the consoles serial number - no two should be the same unless they are reproduction stickers. OP is looking for genuine GBA SP zelda and not reproduction

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
100% re shell, as pointed out, the Nintendo logo being off Center, the serial label being stuck incorrectly and should be central. And the are deffo lumps caused by the wrong screws. I’ve got one like this myself which I reshelled and did a bad job! Was originally a U.K. purchased AGS-001 😁

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There was a show on TV about an old guy who was restoring electric guitars from all kinds of junk.
He was sawing, drilling, gluing, and then painting them.
Then he would go to the backyard, where he had all kinds of rocks of different sizes.
He used rocks to scratch the paint authentically, making it look vintage.
Then he sold these guitars for a lot of money.

For some reason I was immediately reminded of this old guy when I saw this GBA case.
Especially the sticker work of course. And a worn screw on the lid. Very touching.
And btw, the Chinese now cast and paint plastic much better than a (not so) long time ago.

wow, one more same XU number!
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gold-Black-...-MINT-AGS-101-Nintendo-System-gb/123027274157

Attachments

• notsook.png
    notsook.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited by r1vver,

millsinho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for all the replies guys. I’ve learned a lot about spotting genuine SPs that will be really useful if I ever buy another.

Buyer refunded me straight away and said it might be a reshell but he doesn’t know as it was just like that when he got it from previous owner, so nothing lost on my part.

I wasn’t specifically looking for a tri-force model. I just wanted a backlit original resolution screen, which narrowed it down to an AGS 101 SP or an original form factor GBA modded with an ITA (not IPS) screen. I had a slight preference for the latter, as comfort is more important than portability to me (home use mainly), but they were harder to find. I also didn’t want it to have upgraded audio, as a quiet minimum volume is important to me, which also narrowed down my choice of modded ones.

By coincidence though, a nice one came up a few hours after I cancelled the tri-force order, so it all worked out well in the end! Has a FunnyPlaying shell, so I also ordered a FP USB C battery to go in it.

Pic below.

TL;DR: It all worked out well in the end - order refunded, and another GBA ordered.

A8724A87-D9CE-4464-8488-788A5AF10A64.jpeg

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The shell doesn't look fake to me but someone definitely has been in there before as can be seen by the long screw damage. It's probably thrown together from parts left. The sticker is definitely not the right one and the Nintendo one is aftermarket.

aschountz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello
Though I'm in France,...
Do you know of anywhere that has data on the hardware for these specific consoles? I called Nintendo of America and they can’t find any official documentation on whether or not they were released as 001 only.

ak1nok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
About a year ago I bought this exact case on Ali.

image9.jpg

This case has nothing to do with the original case.
It is a 100% Chinese case.

You can see it best by the holes for the speaker. They are crooked and uneven. You can also look at the Nintendo logo on the front of the case - the letters are uneven.
You can buy the label with the serial number XU70104040[4] from any online store (Aliexpress).

Inside, judging by the color of the screen, is the original 001 console.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No. The second photo has two small bunps on the sides of the Select and Start buttons. Those bumps appears when someone utilizes wrong size screws. It's either an aftermarket shell, or if it's genuine (I doubt it as it's way too pale) it's already ruined for using larger screws.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)