Hacking What Problems have you Experienced with DSTT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter m12
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 6,335
  • Replies Replies 24

m12

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Trophies
1
XP
63
Country
United States
What Problems have you Experienced with DSTT?

Also, have there been any problem with certain games? If so, please list them.

I'm deciding on which flash cart to buy so i hope you guys will help me out by answering my questions. Thank You
 
The DSTT is very good and simple to use. I did my research before I bought it. The only real problem that was feared was that Contra wouldn't work with it. For me, it worked when I put it in. But I deleted a .sav file and now it won't start up again. So i guess its my fault. But other than that, everything is cool. I recommend getting one, its cheap and reliable
 
FreshSoul said:
The DSTT is very good and simple to use. I did my research before I bought it. The only real problem that was feared was that Contra wouldn't work with it. For me, it worked when I put it in. But I deleted a .sav file and now it won't start up again. So i guess its my fault. But other than that, everything is cool. I recommend getting one, its cheap and reliable

Have you tried castlevania portrait of ruin on it? Does it work?
 
FreshSoul said:
The DSTT is very good and simple to use. I did my research before I bought it. The only real problem that was feared was that Contra wouldn't work with it. For me, it worked when I put it in. But I deleted a .sav file and now it won't start up again. So i guess its my fault. But other than that, everything is cool. I recommend getting one, its cheap and reliable

Rename the save to match your ROM name. When it creates a Contra 4 save it puts it as CONTRA 4.SAV or something, rename it to example "Contra 4.sav" if your ROM is called "Contra 4".
 
I had a DSTT for 2 months. My first one died due to cart problems (plastic things around the contact just became misaligned for some reason that I'm not even gonna bother talking about...R.I.P) so I'm planning to buy a second one possibly tomorrow if my money comes. DSTT is just 20 quid in buy4ds.co.uk so I might get that.

The problems...well as long as you use a good microSD, you're fine. I used a 1GB Sandisk card bought from high street. Of all the games I have played, I never had any problems. Castlevania worked fine without any lag, Contra played fine, Jap games work fine with all them characters, the cheat code system is impressive. The DSTT is just a good budget card. At first I thought it was a rip-off so I hated it. Now I liked it and I miss having one.

Oh and I suggest not to look at some of the flash cart reviews because some of them are outdated.

DSTT is a good cart, better with a top-notch microSD. Integral cards suck big time. They always hang up and at one point I had to re-format the whole card just because I tried the cheats thing in Mario Party DS.
 
No trouble at all with the DSTT. It is my favorite. It uses standard cheats and saves. I do not want anything that doesn't!
I can boot to TTMENU and switch to YSMENU and back to TTMENU without reseting power!
I have two NDS loaders, 2 .gb emulators (LameBoy and Goomba) and 2 .nes emus (nesDS and pocketnes).
I also use NO$GBA for .nds files and VBA for .GBA and .gb files on my PC.
I have used Rudy's backup tool to recover .sav files from retail carts.
I have used POKESAV and Thundaga to edit .sav files.
MOST of the sav files can be moved between TF card, save editor and emus without problem - even if the file size changes.
DSTT .sav files are compatible with those of R4 and SOME other carts (some require a name change).

BUT I have found a couple of serious problems with save files on emus:

1. A 512kb .sav file from NDS works fine in NO$GBA, but NO$GBA shortens the .sav file.
That shortened .sav file will not work anywhere else I have tried.

2. An 8kb .sav file from made by LameBoy will be killed and replaced by a new 64KB .sav file by Goomba.

That's it.

grog.gif
lecture.gif
 
BurlyEd said:
No trouble at all with the DSTT. It is my favorite. It uses standard cheats and saves. I do not want anything that doesn't!
I can boot to TTMENU and switch to YSMENU and back to TTMENU without reseting power!
I have two NDS loaders, 2 .gb emulators (LameBoy and Goomba) and 2 .nes emus (nesDS and pocketnes).
I also use NO$GBA for .nds files and VBA for .GBA and .gb files on my PC.
I have used Rudy's backup tool to recover .sav files from retail carts.
I have used POKESAV and Thundaga to edit .sav files.
MOST of the sav files can be moved between TF card, save editor and emus without problem - even if the file size changes.
DSTT .sav files are compatible with those of R4 and SOME other carts (some require a name change).

BUT I have found a couple of serious problems with save files on emus:

1. A 512kb .sav file from NDS works fine in NO$GBA, but NO$GBA shortens the .sav file.
That shortened .sav file will not work anywhere else I have tried.

2. An 8kb .sav file from made by LameBoy will be killed and replaced by a new 64KB .sav file by Goomba.

That's it.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

You can convert a NO$GBA save file using this...

http://shunyweb.info/convert.php
 
only problems were i got a few game freezes but its no big deal cuz it had no relation to hardware functions cuz i could reset it and worked fine

however there was one occurrense when it was not recognized by the DS system but that was like 2months ago
other than that its all fine

p.s. the usb freebie is a bunch of cheap plastic and metal!!!
 
QUOTE said:
You can convert a NO$GBA save file using this...

http://shunyweb.info/convert.php

Thanks for the reminder - it worked - I had shunyweb bookmarked and i have used it before, but I forgot the name.

I thought I had it fixed when I edited NO$GBA.INI to "SAV/SNA File Format == Uncompressed",
but NO$GBA still corrupted the save with "NocashGbaBackupMediaSavDataFile" at the beginning and
a block of crap with "LIFF", some zeros, "STOP" and 8 more zeros at the end.
I wish Martin Korth would add a line "DONT SCREW WITH THE SAV/SNA File Format == TRUE" to the .ini file.

grog.gif
lecture.gif
 
not had a problem so far and I do use the SD Card reader that comes with the 1gb MicroSD card and it works perfectly well. Not the fastest of methods in getting content on to the card but at least its stable.

--touch wood--
 
I know have a second one coming but the first just wouldnt load. I stuck a butter knife behind it and it wouldnt load neither. So it was not a issue of contact. Since then i took apart the dstt to see if there was anything i noticed wrong with it. None but NEVER TAKE YOURS APART, its not possible to stick back together.
 
Well, so far I've had only 2 loading problems.

Tower Defence 0.5 won't load. This is common problem, I hope it gets fixed in 0.6, if ever arrives...

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, I only get 2 white screen. Trimmed or not, It won't load. Is this common problem or is it just me?

And loader that came with it, I think that I was lucky one. Been using it about 3 months now, still not a single error or anything.
 
GreatFox,

I can confirm that Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland works with the DSTT. It was one of the first games I tried, so I know it works even with older versions of the firmware, but you might want to make sure you have the latest firmware. Earlier versions of the firmware could write out improperly-named save files that couldn't be read back in (which would cause errors when loading). Take a look at your save file and see if you can rename it with DSOrganize or something (should have the same name as the .nds file but with a ".sav" extension in all lowercase). Maybe try deleting the save file and see if it gets re-created properly.

Also, are your games in a "games" folder or are they on the root of your microSD card? Do you have plenty of empty space for save files?

-Bri
 
DSTT is quite good card. MicroSD reader that came bundled works fine for me (must be lucky
biggrin.gif
).
Only problems I have are with some homebrew (like DSLinux
cry.gif
)
 
Bri said:
GreatFox,

I can confirm that Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland works with the DSTT. It was one of the first games I tried, so I know it works even with older versions of the firmware, but you might want to make sure you have the latest firmware. Earlier versions of the firmware could write out improperly-named save files that couldn't be read back in (which would cause errors when loading). Take a look at your save file and see if you can rename it with DSOrganize or something (should have the same name as the .nds file but with a ".sav" extension in all lowercase). Maybe try deleting the save file and see if it gets re-created properly.

Also, are your games in a "games" folder or are they on the root of your microSD card? Do you have plenty of empty space for save files?

-Bri

I use YSMenu, but that isn't problem, because I experienced same with officila TTMenu 1.10. Savefile is same (I know, uppercase matters) and there is 450Mb of free space. All my games are in /DS Games folder, so not in root.

I've already tried deleting and copying. Didn't help. Thanks for your help, though.
 

Site & Scene News