Hacking What kind of MicroSD card yall using w/ R4?

enclave_10147

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ordered an R4DS. Just wondering what kind of Micro SD card I should get. The review on this site tested their R4 on a Sandisk Ultra II 1 gb so I am compelled to get that one but I was wondering if there was anyone using R4 with a norma Sandisk 1gb SD micro? ( You can get the norma Sandisk 1gb for considerably cheaper than the Sandisk Ultra II 1 gb) Does it make so much of a difference that it has an impact on running roms?

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
I have been using Sandisk 1gb standard MicroSD's in the M3 Lite, and SC Lite without a single problem.

I also have a Kingston 512mb Japan model in a Supercard One which is fine except for very slight delays in loading.

I have 2 x 1GB Kingston Japan model's waiting to go inside a couple of R4's
smile.gif

pitprop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody has reported a micro SD card that doesn't work on the R4 yet..

The faster the card, the better due to less chance of slowdowns in games. The only game reported with slowdown is tony hawks downhill jam.
The japanese toshiba made cards are slightly faster than the regular Sandisc card. The toshiba is also rebadged as Kingston ( japan) , Viking, Dane-Elec ( and probably others).
The Sandisc ultra II is faster still . But much more expensive. The only advantage at the moment is possibly faster speed on tony hawks ( though no reports yet, so it may not even run faster on that game). Castlevania POR has random lock-up problems , but there is no clear evidence that any card is better than another ( its probably a poorly coded game).

I would go with a Toshiba ( or clone) or Kingmax. Whichever you can get cheaper . Only go with the regular sandisc if its cheaper than these.

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
well, a sandisk 256mb freezes frequently on POR, but works fine for the rest.
a sandisk 1g freezes very rarely on POR....such as when i do stupid things like jump in front of the zombie minotaur....

so that's that i guess. hope i was of some help.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
a sandisk 1g freezes very rarely on POR....such as when i do stupid things like jump in front of the zombie minotaur....

I'm using the same card and it froze occasionally until I formatted FAT16, 64k clusters and now it's fine.

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

I'm using the same card and it froze occasionally until I formatted FAT16, 64k clusters and now it's fine.

the "same card" being the 256 or 1g card?

I've tried with fat16/fat32 with the various cluster size and they all fail on the 256mb with POR. The 1gig one works fine except with rare freezes...but able to complete the game with only one area that consistently crashes. Tower of doom teleport point in Jonathan game main map.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, watching the first episode of the anime we were talking about last night