Hardware What kind of DVD's are the best for backup games

johnnylars

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi to all GBAtempers.

I'm a little confuced about what kind of DVD's to copy my backup games to.
Should i use DVD-R or DVD+R high quality disks ?
What is the diference on -R and +R disks ?
Looking around it looks like i should use HQ DVD-R's to single layer games.
Why is it that if you want to backup Super Smash Bros Brawl you should use a DVD+R DL and not a DVD-R DL disk ?
Is ordinary HQ disks or HQ fullface printable the best.
Here i'm thinking about the lasers ability to "shoot" thru the disk.

Best reguards

Johnnylars, Newbie, Denmark.

Ninotramp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello. I use DVD-R. DVD+R can damage your Wii laser I've heard. Traxdata, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden is nice quality DVD's.

SSBB you burn with a DVD+R DL.

beav1s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
verbatim verbatim verbatim
cant stress enough, ive tried different brands when they were on sale etc, always end up back with verbatim, never fail
as for + or -, doesnt matter in my experience ive had equal success with both, been using + as my standard for a while now, some burners require one kind so check that but if its newer drive chances are it supports both
as far as + damaging your laser thats complete nonsense
if anything, + is superior to - http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-...rior-to-DVD-RW/
get printables if you print labels, personally i burn my games on lightscribe discs and burn labels that way, works fine, never had problems
printable labels or not should have no effect on the quality of actual disc/burn
one more time, verbatim
lecture.gif

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i use verbatim -r, never had a problem with it...
i also have a few philips dvd-r laying around, also work good

does -rw work with wii's, because i always have trouble with them?

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ninotramp said:
VD+R can damage your Wii laser I've heard.

This is false

Also, this is been asked and discussed an unbelievable amount of times. Everyone has their own opinion on what DVD brand to use, how fast to burn, etc. Search the forums and you'll find lots of information, then use your own judgment (and probably some different types of DVD-R's too)

Niklas_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thought I'd hijack this thread instead of creating a new one.

After burning three games to some questionable media (Memorex MBI 01RG40.), I am unhappy with the readability (one disc DREs in game but the other work fairly fine), so I'm getting me some Verbatim.
But the question is; + or -?

DVD+R MCC004 : http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/verbatim...mcc-004-16/2487

or

DVD-R MCC 03RG20 : http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/verbatim...-03rg20-16/2986

Both get good reviews and test well on the list http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/Wii_DVD_...starting_with_M

But the question is, which is better, really, + or -?

Niklas_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NeSchn said:
I have always used Imation DVD-R, they work fine for me.

OK, I've asked this question on a couple of forums, and the consensus among all the people who have answered seems to be -.
Although, "all the people" are really only two, so I'd like it if a couple more people here could throw their two cents in.

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its the burner people...........if you have a new burner, and I do......you can use any brand, I have atleast 8 burns with 7 different brands. I have had one bad disk.....not due to the burn though. Its the computer, not the wii!

Niklas_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I'm gonna be getting some -'s.
One question, will lowering the read-speed on my WiiKey2 from 6 to 3 help in reducing DRE's? If it does then I think the trade-off in loadtimes might be worth it if the new discs don't work.

jackripper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought maxwell DVD+R but that was before reading the fact that alot recommends verbatim DVD-R. The maxwell DVD+R works very well on my Flatmod PAL Wii when I burnt it using my Dell D620 Laptop (imgburn) . However when I use my desktop to burn the cd's using imgburn also the wii spits the disk out. So I guess it depends on your drive too.

I have read somewhere that DVD-R are better to go for simply because it is friendlier to most DVD drives since there is more simplicity in them. You will find that most DVD players also will have no problem with DVD-R's. However I cannot say the same with +R's since some DVD players have issues with it.

Regardless, the Wii reads both but I think what matters most really is the DVD Drive that burnt it and how it is burnt. Always use the lowest speed possible.

Omgwtfisthat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use Verbatim -R's and burn them using my Toshiba drive in my laptop at 3x in IMGBurn. I've tested a fair amount of my burns using DVDinfopro and they come up with quality ratings of 93 - 99%. Apparently, the lower the quality rating, the more damage it will cause to your Wii's lens. I have no idea though.

Niklas_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jackripper said:
Always use the lowest speed possible.
Yeah, I'm not so sure about this anymore.
I used to be a firm believer in "if the disc is a console game, burn as slow as possible", but having burned three Wii discs at 2x and the highest quality rating received by any disc in either DVDInfoPro or Nero DVD-CD Speed is 5%, my belief is rattled.
When I receive my Verbatim DVD-R's later this week (MCC03RG20, Grade A schtoof), I'm gonna do a test where I write the same ISO to three discs using IMGburn at different speeds (4x, 8x, 16x), then run the tests. If you want I could post the results here.

nutzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
General rule up thumb with DVD's is to burn them at the same speed (or slower) than you will be reading them. Since the Wii reads at either 3x or 6x, burning at 4x is a good compromise.
Also, many newer drive/media are optimized for high speed burning, and it's best to stick to 4x or better.

I have my WiiKey2 set to always read at 6x and have had no problem with Sony 16x dvd-r disk, or Taiyo Yuden Value line 8x, both burned at 4x. I've even used some old Office Depot 4x DVD-RW for some test and they work fine.

NEVER use stick on labels of your DVD's, becasue no matter how even you apply the labels, the disk will still be out of balance and cause you read problems. Either invest in inkjet printable disks (my preference), use Lightscribe disk with a lightscribe burner, or use a shapie
smile.gif

Niklas_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nutzo said:
General rule up thumb with DVD's is to burn them at the same speed (or slower) than you will be reading them. Since the Wii reads at either 3x or 6x, burning at 4x is a good compromise.
Also, many newer drive/media are optimized for high speed burning, and it's best to stick to 4x or better.

I have my WiiKey2 set to always read at 6x and have had no problem with Sony 16x dvd-r disk, or Taiyo Yuden Value line 8x, both burned at 4x. I've even used some old Office Depot 4x DVD-RW for some test and they work fine.

NEVER use stick on labels of your DVD's, becasue no matter how even you apply the labels, the disk will still be out of balance and cause you read problems. Either invest in inkjet printable disks (my preference), use Lightscribe disk with a lightscribe burner, or use a shapie
smile.gif

Thanks for the info.
I never got my MCC03RG20 (they were TYG03 instead, still good stuff, supposedly).
I did a burn at 16x that got a 93 in Nero CD-DVD speed, but another burn at the same speed got a 30, so it's quite inconsistent.
How much weight do you guys put in a Nero-CD-DVD scan?
From now on I burn my games at 8x.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: GBATemp Rule 63. Uhh... someone check. :ninja: