Hardware What is your most wanted game product feature? How much do you think it is worth?

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I want to get inspiration from you, which is also in line with our brand philosophy, and do our best to create products that users want.

Reactions: impeeza

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modern controllers have a lot of buttons. Some games use every button and then have you press multiple buttons at once or a string of buttons in sequence to perform not so often used tasks.

I’d love a controller that has macro buttons. Most third party controllers have buttons on the rear for auto-fire or even allow you to remap one of the face buttons to that rear button. But none of them let you input a button combination or even a string of buttons and assign it to that rear button.

That would literally be a game changer.

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
But none of them let you input a button combination or even a string of buttons and assign it to that rear button.
Most current controllers with back buttons are macro-programmable, such as 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth.
Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Cajumjoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The industry is still missing standard size hall-effect analog stick replacements, compatible with the existing carbon-resistor/potentiometer parts.
There are several hall-effect controllers in the market now, but Sony and Microsoft still didn't adopt those, and instead went for selling replacement parts, that still use carbon resistor analogs - Sony with their analog swappable part and MS now officially selling parts: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/xbox-repair-parts

The market is still full of those "going-to-break-eventually" controllers.
This guy is presenting a solution

How much is it worth? 15 euros seems like a balanced price, considering the price of those official controllers sometimes dips close to 30 euros during promotions.

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The industry is still missing standard size hall-effect analog stick replacements, compatible with the existing carbon-resistor/potentiometer parts.
There are several hall-effect controllers in the market now, but Sony and Microsoft still didn't adopt those, and instead went for selling replacement parts, that still use carbon resistor analogs - Sony with their analog swappable part and MS now officially selling parts:
GuliKit has already spent a certain amount of time on this, trying to perform Hall upgrades on the three major types of controllers: ps/xbox/ns. However, since compatible data is in the hands of officials, it will take time to study.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, this is actually a really hard question to answer.

I think I would most like to have a product that could easily and effectively dump cartridge games and two way save data management for a reasonable price. Right now, most everything that does such a thing is typically catered towards supporting one platform or requires a bunch of additional purchases to work with more platforms. These are also usually not mass produced products and quality tends to reflect that in both good ways and bad.

Ideally, a product like this would work for as many different cartridge-based games as possible by whatever means necessary.

This would be useful for preserving save games when it comes time for a save battery swap on consoles that use one, and also make legally emulating your own games collection markedly easier. This kind of product feels almost too good to be true, but I know something like this is possible.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: AKNES

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most current controllers with back buttons are macro-programmable, such as 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth.
Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
I think you misunderstand.

Most controllers with back buttons will allow you to remap a “face” button to the back button. Or they will turbo press a “face button”. Or they will “double/triple tap” a “face button.

I’ve yet to see a controller that allows me to hold the back button and press a sequence of “face buttons” and then replay that same sequence when the back button is pressed.

For example: say I have to press A, X, and then right trigger frequently in a game. Make the back button “record” those button presses and then when I press the back button, it’s as if I pressed those face buttons exactly.

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Right now, most everything that does such a thing is typically catered towards supporting one platform
Can you look for a similar product? I would like to understand better what you are talking about.
Post automatically merged:

Include the full game on the disc and that it's fully playable whether online or offline, looking at you, Sony/EA.
They will kill me!!!
Post automatically merged:

For example: say I have to press A, X, and then right trigger frequently in a game. Make the back button “record” those button presses and then when I press the back button, it’s as if I pressed those face buttons exactly.
https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-bluetooth-controller/
Take a look at the description of Ultimate Software, is it what you want?

Last edited by AKNES,

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you misunderstand.

Most controllers with back buttons will allow you to remap a “face” button to the back button. Or they will turbo press a “face button”. Or they will “double/triple tap” a “face button.

I’ve yet to see a controller that allows me to hold the back button and press a sequence of “face buttons” and then replay that same sequence when the back button is pressed.

I think a good example of this is something like ReWASD offers, Or Logitech Gaming Software/Razer Synapsis

Reactions: rcpd and AKNES

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Can you look for a similar product? I would like to understand better what you are talking about.
Some examples that do this for Game Boy cartridges are the GBxCart RW (https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/gbxcart-rw/) and the Joey Jr from BennVenn (https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/usb-gb-c-cart-dumper-the-joey-jr)

The cool thing about these is they also support flashing to supported supported bootleg cartridges. This isn't really a necessary feature, but it's cool that they can support something like that.

Something that could do similar ROM/save data backups for more platforms such as NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. would be really cool to have. Again, it's a pretty wild suggestion, and there's probably reasons it hasn't been done, but the existing products are definitely all lacking the polish of a retail/mass produced product, and possibly some of the features one could have, too.

As for what something like this would be worth, it's hard to say, but I think a "multiple-in-one" solution is something many retro gaming offerings contain in many scenarios, but not really in this one.

I'm a big advocate for preserving games software, and something like this could make this a reality for collectors, without involving illegal downloads/warez.

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Some examples that do this for Game Boy cartridges are the GBxCart RW (https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/gbxcart-rw/) and the Joey Jr from BennVenn (https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/usb-gb-c-cart-dumper-the-joey-jr)

The cool thing about these is they also support flashing to supported supported bootleg cartridges. This isn't really a necessary feature, but it's cool that they can support something like that.

Something that could do similar ROM/save data backups for more platforms such as NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. would be really cool to have. Again, it's a pretty wild suggestion, and there's probably reasons it hasn't been done, but the existing products are definitely all lacking the polish of a retail/mass produced product, and possibly some of the features one could have, too.

As for what something like this would be worth, it's hard to say, but I think a "multiple-in-one" solution is something many retro gaming offerings contain in many scenarios, but not really in this one.

I'm a big advocate for preserving games software, and something like this could make this a reality for collectors, without involving illegal downloads/warez.
If it is this all-in-one, consider:
1. The problem of 'shape compatibility'.
2. I think the solution is to separate the storage of each adapted console. Because it is difficult to achieve technically the storage of different consoles can be shared.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

ToppestOfDogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main thing I want is Hall-effect sticks that can be soldered into existing Xbox/Switch/Playstation controllers. Hall-effect sticks for the Meta Quest 2/3 would also be really nice, since those things wear out even faster than Joycon sticks (I'm on my 3rd RMA'd set of controllers).

That, and a good, affordable, USB-C stretch-on android phone controller that fits with a case on and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. The Backbone One, Gamesir X2-Pro and Razer Kishi V2 are absurdly expensive. I don't know how they get away with charging $99 for a basic controller when a Vader 3 Pro has hall-effect sticks and mechanical buttons for $70. And there's plenty of bluetooth ones for around $30 but the latency on android is terrible.
If Gulikit made a phone controller with the same general shape of the Backbone One with their hall-effect joycon sticks in it for like $60 I'd buy one.

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The main thing I want is Hall-effect sticks that can be soldered into existing Xbox/Switch/Playstation controllers. Hall-effect sticks for the Meta Quest 2/3 would also be really nice, since those things wear out even faster than Joycon sticks (I'm on my 3rd RMA'd set of controllers).
GuliKit was making this.
That, and a good, affordable, USB-C stretch-on android phone controller that fits with a case on and has a 3.5mm headphone jack. The Backbone One, Gamesir X2-Pro and Razer Kishi V2 are absurdly expensive. I don't know how they get away with charging $99 for a basic controller when a Vader 3 Pro has hall-effect sticks and mechanical buttons for $70. And there's plenty of bluetooth ones for around $30 but the latency on android is terrible.
If Gulikit made a phone controller with the same general shape of the Backbone One with their hall-effect joycon sticks in it for like $60 I'd buy one.
This one, I already let them know after your comment

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd love something with the ergonomics of the Logitech G13 but with full mechanical keys and at least one button row more on the top (effectively the number row).

The G13, with the little thumbstick under the thumb and freely programmable buttons for the entire left hand, is technically a great product for many games as it's more ergonomic than most keyboards and the thumbstick offers some neat functionality in a bunch of games, however the keys all feel like crap and the lack of buttons above where the hand rests drastically cuts the amount of quick to reach buttons by an unacceptable amount. It's still plenty useful for games like Elite Dangerous but these days I use mine more for random work shortcuts than anything else.

Razer has something similar with the Tartarus but that one has fewer keys total and is less comfortable, to say nothing about their terrible software.

AKNES

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'd love something with the ergonomics of the Logitech G13 but with full mechanical keys and at least one button row more on the top (effectively the number row).

The G13, with the little thumbstick under the thumb and freely programmable buttons for the entire left hand, is technically a great product for many games as it's more ergonomic than most keyboards and the thumbstick offers some neat functionality in a bunch of games, however the keys all feel like crap and the lack of buttons above where the hand rests drastically cuts the amount of quick to reach buttons by an unacceptable amount. It's still plenty useful for games like Elite Dangerous but these days I use mine more for random work shortcuts than anything else.

Razer has something similar with the Tartarus but that one has fewer keys total and is less comfortable, to say nothing about their terrible software.
I googled a few of the products you mentioned, which is an area we've never covered.
Is there a high demand for these products at the moment? I saw the price of Logitech G13 is $450, very high price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think if I was making a list Modern Warfare 1 would be my second place spot, with stopping a... +1