Hacking Question What is the point of not updating to 5.0.x ?

• Thread starter DBA
  • Start date
  • Views 18,038
  • Replies 92
  • Likes 1

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sometime in the future, it could be a year or so, devs hate piracy, tx dont, so thats why people pay a lot of money!!!(40 dollars lol)

And what other choice do those who want homebrew have, fork out 300 dollars for a 3.x.x console? Yeah right. Homebrew via softmod on 3.x.x above hasn't happened, so... TX is really the only permanent method

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Quantumcat

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stay low.
Once game private key(s) is/are available, lower firmware will be able to load higher fw games.
emuNAND will run latest version firmware, and will not be tied to your actual firmware.
stop making threads

INobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do not update.
Downgrades will never be possible. Hardware fuses are blown with the update so lower firmwares won’t boot. To circumvent this we will be so deep into the system, that lower firmwares won’t be useful for anything.

With atmosphere we should be having full emunand support which allows to be updated to the newest firmware

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It is clear that we get EmuNAND this early? I thought, Atmosphere is “just“ a CFW. :blush:
Atmosphere is CFW which is made to run on EmuNAND.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do not update.
Downgrades will never be possible. Hardware fuses are blown with the update so lower firmwares won’t boot. To circumvent this we will be so deep into the system, that lower firmwares won’t be useful for anything.

With atmosphere we should be having full emunand support which allows to be updated to the newest firmware
You can allways bypass the fuse check (if you know how :P ), but that will probably never be released for SysNAND.

Reactions: Kalleno

INobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Atmosphere is CFW which is made to run on EmuNAND.

You can allways bypass the fuse check (if you know how :P ), but that will probably never be released for SysNAND.
That’s the point coldboot would allow loading cfw without a jig. Of course you can boot everything via rcm but no signed code allows to load without the check

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair if you're not arsed about a tether for now there's no reason not to update with a bootrom exploit available. The 3ds did not have anything like this for a LONG time. We had to jig back to earlier firmware to exploit it! This isn't the case with current hardware revisions so do what you want fill your boots if you have a switch now it's exploitable.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I think the bigger question is why would you update? You're just going to get banned anyway, and the SDXC update isn't necessary if you format to FAT32. You'll have to split files over 4GB but it's a small price to pay for the convenience of a softmod IMO.

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think the bigger question is why would you update? You're just going to get banned anyway, and the SDXC update isn't necessary if you format to FAT32. You'll have to split files over 4GB but it's a small price to pay for the convenience of a softmod IMO.
In fact in the tutorial section there are 2 tutorials on how to obtain tha SDXC update whitout updating in any firmware ecept for 1.0. so there is not even need for the slow fat32

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that requires a jig, and shorting pins 9 and 10 on the Joycon, so yeah, I'd rather not do that, right? And it sounds like there's a significant risk to bricking, another respectable fear of mine.
That's understandable. Just wanted to let you know that users finally on 3.0.X have a means to load homebrew

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's understandable. Just wanted to let you know that users finally on 3.0.X have a means to load homebrew

And I'm glad there is a way, and if 3D-printed jigs were 100% reliable and surefire to never have the potential to fry the joycons or damage the switch, I would definitely buy one. Don't get me wrong, I'm surprised
there's a way to load homebrew on 3.x.x and 4.x.x, etc, but until there is a softmod or permanent way to load CFW.. I'm gonna have to hold out.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm glad there is a way, and if 3D-printed jigs were 100% reliable and surefire to never have the potential to fry the joycons or damage the switch, I would definitely buy one. Don't get me wrong, I'm surprised
there's a way to load homebrew on 3.x.x and 4.x.x, etc, but until there is a softmod or permanent way to load CFW.. I'm gonna have to hold out.
I hear ya. Not to mention that the current way of loading homebrew is really unstable and it doesn't even support sleep mode. Honestly, not missing out on much.

Believ3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No. You just need to format it as fat32 and it will work on any fw any size.
And there is dump of that update which can be applied to any FW so you don't need to update, just "install" the update.

June 15 - fully working Atmosphere + FG (that was their goal)

Where’s this update you speak of ???

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy