Question What is the point of not updating to 5.0.x ?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by DBA, May 29, 2018.

1. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Because you said was, so I continue where we left.
    I edited it just for it to make sense on its own.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, May 29, 2018
  2. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2018
    Egypt
    im guessing they are polishing it now.
    has been around 3-4 days on github and everything is calm there.

3. coned_miro

coned_miro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    3.0.2 got hekate love via CTCaer's mod yesterday

https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/

Last edited by coned_miro, May 29, 2018
  4. rac

rac Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    Why update and be unable to downgrade when I can just continue to wait and see what is best

5. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    Here's what SciresM said. Maybe this will enlighten you a bit OP.

Attached Files:

6. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Still on 4.1.0 and I'm just waiting for atmosphere before making a decision to update, but right now I'm really tempted to update just for the street fighter 30th anniversary collection.

Raverrevolution likes this.
  7. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    I was also on 4.1.0 but I updated mine a few days ago for BotW's expansion pass.

Centergaming likes this.
  8. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    As long as you have a device with an exploitable bootloader, you're all set. Do what you want with it. If you want a coldboot, your best bet is waiting for a modchip.

cots likes this.
  9. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Everyone is worried about the SDXC driver, but there are two tutorials here showing that it can be installed without going online. If you're on 3.0.0 already, what's the rush at this point?

Red1Reaper likes this.
  10. Raverrevolution

Raverrevolution GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    UGH, SAAAAAAAME exact thing here. 4.1.0 and Street Fighter will be at my door this afternoon.

I bet you this is the kind of situation that updating is okay. These devs are geniuses with this console. Sooner or later I bet they'll be like, "Do not update past 5.0.2, you'll need it for the SDXC upgrade otherwise atmosphere won't work"

Last edited by Raverrevolution, May 29, 2018
  11. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    From what I had understood, the odds of getting a true coldboot on anything above 1.0 was insanely low. Even on 1.0 in the future nothing is gauranteed. For me the pros definitely don't outweigh the cons, especially since I'm more than happy leaving my switch asleep 95% of the time. I suppose If I had a second switch I might consider it :P, otherwise for me personally I think their is very little to gain.

12. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Well I bought the ps4 ver since it's a bit cheaper and it has a ultra street fighter 4 code. I'll just get the switch version after atmosphere comes out.

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    June is around the corner and that means Atmosphere is almost here as well. With EmuNAND support, you will be able to update eventually anyways so what's the harm of waiting a little big longer? Only reason I see is if you cannot wait to play a game or DLC that requires being on the latest firmware, which is also acceptable, as long as you are aware of what you may be potentially losing. Remember when everyone thought 3.0 was the golden firmware? Things can change and the lower your firmware, the more chances you have at getting an exploit.

14. Nincompoopdo

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Was the date chosen on purpose? It's the same release date as SX Pro. E3 ends on 14th June, so all the hacks are breaking out right after E3!

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Here is how the date June 15th was chosen.
    Also, its the same date as the release of the TX Pro because TX purposely chose it to line up with Atmosphere. Why? Maybe to rub some salt, taunt ReSwitched's release of Atmosphere, or squeeze out as much life as possible for a modchip that that has a free alternative that will eventually do everything it can.

horokeusama likes this.
  16. horokeusama

horokeusama GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    As people already stated on this thread, if you stay below or on 4.1.0, you'll have emuNAND without the need of a jig.
    You waited until now, it won't hurt to wait Atmosphere release, the "jigless" process will probably come faster than you think, hackers just need the actual CFW to work on it.
    Go play something else or buy physical games until late june.

Solitario likes this.
  17. Red1Reaper

Red1Reaper Asperger Dude

GBAtemp Patron
    Red1Reaper is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 5, 2017
    Spain
    Valencia, Rafelbuñol
    Guys guys, what do you say about the SDXC exFAT update?
    That is bullshit, is posible to install the SDXC exFAT driver whitout updating right now, and there are two tutorials in the tutorial section for it.

If your dont want to search here are the links:
    this tutorial and this tutorial

Last edited by Red1Reaper, May 29, 2018
  18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Why am I not surprised? Never should have announced a date, just gets people unnecessarily hopeful, so expect another six month delay at least, I'm sure :rolleyes:

Last edited by the_randomizer, May 29, 2018
  19. reminon

reminon GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    How would this scenario work? The SDXC patch can already be manually applied. All that's required is: a nand backup "easy", an xci backup of a game with your current firmware, some keys "easy to get", and some public tools that can easily be found here. If you dump your nand, minus the user partition, its quick, painless, and even a noob could follow the multiple tutorials already posted here.

Why give up deja vu, just to be forced to use hardware-assisted methods. This makes no sense to me.

Everyone is clamoring over TX's dongle, but why pay if you are on a low enough firmware to use a free option? And for the piracy advocates, it would be stupid to assume that atmosphere will not attain the ability to run backups. It's open-source, and will become much more than sx os, without all of the DRM bullshit.

Alex S likes this.
  20. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    sometime in the future, it could be a year or so, devs hate piracy, tx dont, so thats why people pay a lot of money!!!(40 dollars lol)

Centergaming likes this.