Hacking Question What is the point of not updating to 5.0.x ?

• Thread starter DBA
  • Start date
  • Views 17,915
  • Replies 92
  • Likes 1

coned_miro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok...

Lower firmware (under 5.0.2 or any 5.x.x) = possible chance of homebrew/backup loading without using a jig/RCM/dongle. No method released yet.

Higher firmware - 5.x.x = jig required. No exploit currently released.

That's it.

If you aren't bothered about using a jig every coldboot then update. Bear in mind that you will be locked out of installing permanent firmware hacks for now. But you will always be able to get homebrew via jig.

I was on 3.0.2... it had no love from Hekate etc... Wanted to play with homebrew so I updated.

You cannot downgrade at this point. So you are not losing anything apart from maybe the ability to run homebrew without the jig.

3.0.2 got hekate love via CTCaer's mod yesterday

https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/

Last edited by coned_miro,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Here's what SciresM said. Maybe this will enlighten you a bit OP.

Attachments

• 33418578_10215666214065024_4058818165725986816_n.jpg
    33418578_10215666214065024_4058818165725986816_n.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 878

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Still on 4.1.0 and I'm just waiting for atmosphere before making a decision to update, but right now I'm really tempted to update just for the street fighter 30th anniversary collection.

Reactions: Raverrevolution

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have a device with an exploitable bootloader, you're all set. Do what you want with it. If you want a coldboot, your best bet is waiting for a modchip.

Reactions: cots

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is worried about the SDXC driver, but there are two tutorials here showing that it can be installed without going online. If you're on 3.0.0 already, what's the rush at this point?

Reactions: Red1Reaper

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still on 4.1.0 and I'm just waiting for atmosphere before making a decision to update, but right now I'm really tempted to update just for the street fighter 30th anniversary collection.

UGH, SAAAAAAAME exact thing here. 4.1.0 and Street Fighter will be at my door this afternoon.

I bet you this is the kind of situation that updating is okay. These devs are geniuses with this console. Sooner or later I bet they'll be like, "Do not update past 5.0.2, you'll need it for the SDXC upgrade otherwise atmosphere won't work"

Last edited by Raverrevolution,

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
From what I had understood, the odds of getting a true coldboot on anything above 1.0 was insanely low. Even on 1.0 in the future nothing is gauranteed. For me the pros definitely don't outweigh the cons, especially since I'm more than happy leaving my switch asleep 95% of the time. I suppose If I had a second switch I might consider it :P, otherwise for me personally I think their is very little to gain.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
UGH, SAAAAAAAME exact thing here. 4.1.0 and Street Fighter will be at my door this afternoon.

I bet you this is the kind of situation that updating is okay. These devs are geniuses with this console. Sooner or later I bet they'll be like, "Do not update past 5.0.2, you'll need it for the SDXC upgrade otherwise atmosphere won't work"
Well I bought the ps4 ver since it's a bit cheaper and it has a ultra street fighter 4 code. I'll just get the switch version after atmosphere comes out.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
June is around the corner and that means Atmosphere is almost here as well. With EmuNAND support, you will be able to update eventually anyways so what's the harm of waiting a little big longer? Only reason I see is if you cannot wait to play a game or DLC that requires being on the latest firmware, which is also acceptable, as long as you are aware of what you may be potentially losing. Remember when everyone thought 3.0 was the golden firmware? Things can change and the lower your firmware, the more chances you have at getting an exploit.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the date chosen on purpose? It's the same release date as SX Pro. E3 ends on 14th June, so all the hacks are breaking out right after E3!
Here is how the date June 15th was chosen.
Oh. I didn't even think about the fact that promising a summer release date could kind-of-align things with E3. =\

That's a bit embarrasing. I'm really not all that into playing games myself, and so I didn't actually think about when events like E3 occur: I just picked an imprecise description of around when the disclosure window ends, with the goal being not to tie things to any specific day. I'd prefer to avoid things interacting with the E3 hype; but I think that with this it probably makes sense not to artifcially delay anything and just to release as soon as we can, even if E3's a thing.
Also, its the same date as the release of the TX Pro because TX purposely chose it to line up with Atmosphere. Why? Maybe to rub some salt, taunt ReSwitched's release of Atmosphere, or squeeze out as much life as possible for a modchip that that has a free alternative that will eventually do everything it can.

Reactions: horokeusama

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As people already stated on this thread, if you stay below or on 4.1.0, you'll have emuNAND without the need of a jig.
You waited until now, it won't hurt to wait Atmosphere release, the "jigless" process will probably come faster than you think, hackers just need the actual CFW to work on it.
Go play something else or buy physical games until late june.

Reactions: Solitario

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Guys guys, what do you say about the SDXC exFAT update?
That is bullshit, is posible to install the SDXC exFAT driver whitout updating right now, and there are two tutorials in the tutorial section for it.

If your dont want to search here are the links:
this tutorial and this tutorial

Last edited by Red1Reaper,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed you edited your post. Yes it was their goal but thats no longer the case

Why am I not surprised? Never should have announced a date, just gets people unnecessarily hopeful, so expect another six month delay at least, I'm sure :rolleyes:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would this scenario work? The SDXC patch can already be manually applied. All that's required is: a nand backup "easy", an xci backup of a game with your current firmware, some keys "easy to get", and some public tools that can easily be found here. If you dump your nand, minus the user partition, its quick, painless, and even a noob could follow the multiple tutorials already posted here.

Why give up deja vu, just to be forced to use hardware-assisted methods. This makes no sense to me.

Everyone is clamoring over TX's dongle, but why pay if you are on a low enough firmware to use a free option? And for the piracy advocates, it would be stupid to assume that atmosphere will not attain the ability to run backups. It's open-source, and will become much more than sx os, without all of the DRM bullshit.

Reactions: Alex S

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
How would this scenario work? The SDXC patch can already be manually applied. All that's required is: a nand backup "easy", an xci backup of a game with your current firmware, some keys "easy to get", and some public tools that can easily be found here. If you dump your nand, minus the user partition, its quick, painless, and even a noob could follow the multiple tutorials already posted here.

Why give up deja vu, just to be forced to use hardware-assisted methods. This makes no sense to me.

Everyone is clamoring over TX's dongle, but why pay if you are on a low enough firmware to use a free option? And for the piracy advocates, it would be stupid to assume that atmosphere will not attain the ability to run backups. It's open-source, and will become much more than sx os, without all of the DRM bullshit.
sometime in the future, it could be a year or so, devs hate piracy, tx dont, so thats why people pay a lot of money!!!(40 dollars lol)

Reactions: Centergaming

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free