Hacking What is the best Slot 2 Card I can get for R4DS?

jibaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am going to order tonight a Slot 2 card for my GBA roms. But don't know which one to get. I need the most compatible one I can buy. I don't care about features but only about stability and compatibility.

Remember the card that I'm looking for is one that works with R4DS.

Thank you all for your time.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
The G6 Lite is quite nice for GBA games with and works fine with my R4. Just my 2 cents.

If I were you I'd just read a few reviews like I did. Asking that sort of question will usually get you a dozen different opinions
smile.gif

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll second the G6 Lite. Prices are getting more reasonable for this card since the slot-1 cards have taken over. Quick access, good compatibility, and a great ebook reader if you are into reading. It holds 512 MB which should be plenty for GBA games.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can get a G6 Lite for $74.45 USD at bamboogaming.com. Shipping is pretty reasonable too.

At the same site you can get an EZFlash IV for $41.36 US and a EZFlash IV compact for $21.81. (I think the compact model can only play GBA roms up to 16 MB in size.)

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would say, get an M3 SD and you can put the GBA games in the Micro SD card and when you want to play them, just use the SD adapter to use it on your M3 SD.. G6's are pretty expensive
unsure.gif

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
gba compatibility of EZ FLASH is almost PERFECT (i personally would even say plain perfect as i had no problems with any roms and i played hundreds)
in terms of gba compatibility it can compete with m3/g6

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the EZ4 have some problems with the microSD card slot? Like, you need to chisel it down a little bit to make it workable? Or was that just the initial batch that GBATemp reviewed?

Right now I'm torn between the EZ4 and the M3 Perfect (or whichever one is the Slot 2 GBA friendly one, too many M3s to keep track of), and I'm looking for one that looks as much like the original dust cover as possible, and isn't a pain in the ass to work with.

And yeah, I too am looking for a slot 2 device for GBA-only purposes.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new EZ Triple Pak would be the best but they won't sell it seperately
frown.gif

However, it says that if you bought an EZ5 already, you can work something out with the retailer. I bet you can work something out to get one even if you didn't get an EZ5
smile.gif

qjopera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might want to buy the EZflash 3 in 1 expansion pack that includes an expansion pack that goes into slot-2 that allows the slot-1 EZV to run gba games and the opera browser and anything gba.

bl21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait for one more week. ez team will release a 3in1 slot2 card, it will support GBA, browser and rumble. that will be perfect slot2 for R4.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
EZ Team's 3 in 1 sounds nice, but 256Mbit GBA = crap.

I just got my double pack of R4 + EZ IV Deluxe Lite. I am frankly a little disappointed and shocked about how much misinformation there is on this site.

The R4 DOES save Supercard-style (NOT M3 style). It saves directly to the disk without waiting for a stupid "saving" message @ reset.

The EZ-IV Lite Deluxe (I've heard) has really good GBA compatibility.

QUOTE said:
Doesn't the EZ4 have some problems with the microSD card slot? Like, you need to chisel it down a little bit to make it workable?

Yes and no. YES, the microsd is VERY hard to take out even if you have long nails. The unit I just got, however, allows you to open the case just slightly....enough to get the microsd out with a tweezer or with long nails or something. You don't *need* to chisel anything, but admittedly, this is a very poor design from EZ. However, IF GBA compatibility is nearly 100%, it's worth it.

Anyone who says that the G6/M3 lite have excellent GBA compatibility has *****obviously***** never used one or are talking straight out of their ass.

I owned a G6 lite for a while and I can't tell you how many problems I had with several major games (Metroid Zero, Metroid prime, Megaman,and about 8 other games I can't remember). That, to me, is NOT good GBA compatibility.

I have yet to test out the EZ IV Lite Deluxe, but I will let you know.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy who's saying he had problems with GBA compatibility on the G6 Lite sounds like he might have just gotten a bad unit. I use my G6 Lite for all my GBA stuff.

Anyway, here's a write-up I did on this subject for another forum. Hope it helps.
  • This R4 thing is awesome, but I want more! What flashcart should I get for slot-2 of my DS?
  • By and large, the most sought-after capability people look for in slot-2 flashcarts is the ability to play GBA homebrew and game backups well. No slot-1 flashcart (including our hero, the R4DS) has or ever will have the capability to play GBA stuff -- and why bother, when the DS has a perfectly good native GBA slot built right into it?

Here are my personal recommendations for slot-2 flashcarts. In time, I may try to stock one or a couple of my favorites through this thread, but for now I'll just refer you guys to KickTrading (they're good people, and I've been nothing but thrilled every time I've dealt with them). Please note that all slot-2 flashcarts require either a flashed DS or a NoPass in slot-1 in order to run DS code.

IF YOU NEED GBA SUPPORT

-- M3 Perfect Lite: Uses microSD for storage, 99.9% GBA compatibility, 99.9% DS compatibility (redundant if you use R4DS, but still potentially handy), good DS homebrew support, skinnable GUI, sits flush with DS Lite and includes a GBA-sized shell casing to sit flush with a GBA if desired, can be used in conjunction with R4DS to run the Nintendo DS Browser, probably the most popular and widely-recognized Nintendo DS flashcart on the market. The M3 Lite needs no introduction; it does it all.

-- G6 Lite 512MB/4Gb Includes 512MB fixed-capacity flash memory, 99.9% GBA compatibility, 99.9% DS compatibility (redundant if you use R4DS, but still potentially handy), fair to good DS homebrew support, sits flush with DS Lite and includes a GBA-sized shell casing to sit flush with a GBA if desired, produced by the same company that produces M3 Lite, fixed memory allows for better performance on games prone to slowdown and better compatibility overall. I currently use this flashcart in slot-2 alongside my R4 in slot-1, and couldn't be happier with it. I store my GBA library on it as well as games that have issues with the R4 (Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin) which makes my DS a ridiculously versatile device. A great choice.

-- EZ-Flash 4 LITE: The biggest feature this cart has going for it is "plays all GBA games cheaper than an M3 or G6" and still manages to fit flush in your DS Lite. Uses microSD for storage. While the EZ-Flash guys don't have the greatest of reputations in the DS world, they're famous for their GBA flashcarts, and that great GBA compatibility is said to carry over to this device. Good choice if all you want out of slot-2 is GBA compatibility. A little shaky for DS stuff.

IF YOU DON'T NEED GBA SUPPORT

-- SuperCard Rumble Lite: Uses microSD for storage, 99.9% DS compatibility, excellent DS homebrew support, rumbles, sits flush with DS Lite (shell cannot be removed). Great secondary piece of equipment if all you want out of your bottom slot is "more, more, more!" I wholeheartedly recommended this device to everyone looking for DS capabilities at a low price before the R4DS hit the market -- think of it as a slot-2 R4DS without drag and drop but with slightly better homebrew support.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes it would be, but not only is it not a stand alone product, what makes you think it'll work with R4?
Just an assumption since it's still a generic slot-2 device. If the EZ team implements something on it to where it can't be used with anything that's not an EZ product, that'd just fuckin suck. Now what I do believe will happen is that a clone device will come along that is standalone once this one is released.

PGGBoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the size of your wallet.  I'd say either the G6 or the EZ4

how much is the G6? the EZ4 delux is about 60 bucks + 10 for 1GB of micro flash... so about 70 at the end...
the G6 is 90 for the 512MB version... i say go with the EZ4 delux...

I order one from gameyeeeah, 55$, 1 x EZ4 Lite - Deluxe (TF Adapter)(White), 1 x SD Card Reader, 1 x EZ4 Lite - Deluxe shell (Black). It works perfect from now on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Last job Ancient went to, he got fired for drinking on the job. +1