Homebrew What is homebrew?

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol yep back in the 80s I had a zx 48k (timex for our American friends lol) and it's how I first learned programing first in basic then machine code and it has developed from there and I can pretty much program in any language lol oh and forgot to say if you did do any programing back then you were called a bedroom programmer lol
Then i dare you to try assembly and find a kernalhax for 10.1.0 (lol jk) but for real dude. That awesome

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Homebrew = playing old games for free
Piracy = playing new games for free

Just kidding lol. Homebrew basically means amateur and/or hobbyist programs/programming.
Specific examples in increasing popularity:
-games (anything from Pong to complex games like Quake ports and Cave Story etc.)
-apps (like theme changers, save editors, and RAM dumpers to name a few)
-emulators (program that runs a weaker system's software on a more powerful one, like NES on 3DS)

_D1360_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's like a game that allows access to apps created by non official developers. We got the chance to buy non america games and play without region restriction (marketing thing), we got emulators which allow old consoles to be played like nes snes and the gameboys, app that changes your "desktop 3ds theme" for free( you must pay on eshop) even modifying savegames and lately even edting your pokemons. Even an app allows to use 3ds as a PC controller! Been playing GTAV and N64 on my PC by 3ds controller

Last edited by _D1360_,

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know how you can write programs on a computer? Well normally you can't do that on a console. Consoles are closed off and the only people that can write programs on it are people officially licensed by Nintendo/Sony/...

Homebrew changes that, some very smart/skilled people find a way to hack the console and run their own code on it. They make their code so it runs any code you put on it, so people can write their own programs and it's like a third world unofficial app store. All code written is the 'homebrew', as in, it was brewed at home.

I remember when I hacked my Wii I thought homebrew was synonymous with emulators, because it's kind of a difficult concept to grasp at first.

The neckbeard is strong in this thread

Chivalry isn't dead, people of the internets clearly are just jealous of the more chivalrous.

Last edited by jamieyello,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed