Hacking What is currently the best way to update games?

krkk123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. First want to say this site is amazing. There is a ton of great information. I do have a question that i hope you guys can assist.
With so much going on, there is a lot of old information out there.

I just want to know is there a "current" thread, tutorial, youtube link that can show me how to "safely" update my XCI to SD games?

I am currently FW 5.0.1 (Saved my fuse from original 4.1.0).
I am using SX PRO/OS 2.1
I own my own Zelda botw game cartridge but too afraid to go on Internet to update it or get DLC
I also have another "fun game" saved to my SD card, via gcdumptool.

Any current advice would be very appreciated!

krkk123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. First want to say this site is amazing. There is a ton of great information. I do have a question that i hope you guys can assist.
With so much going on, there is a lot of old information out there.

I just want to know is there a "current" thread, tutorial, youtube link that can show me how to "safely" update my XCI to SD games?

I am currently FW 5.0.1 (Saved my fuse from original 4.1.0).
I am using SX PRO/OS 2.1
I own my own Zelda botw game cartridge but too afraid to go on Internet to update it or get DLC
I also have another "fun game" saved to my SD card, via gcdumptool.

Also when dumping via gcdumptool, do we dump certificate option=yes or no?

Any current advice would be very appreciated!

Skiiermike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd highly recommend using tinfoil as it checks the file before install and allows you to ignore the firmware requirement.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

krkk123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys for the replies. I have been struggling to download my updates from working websites. So let me ask if this would be a better alternative...

I have my SX OS installed Switch.
My son already has a switch with FW 6.0.1.

1. Could i just use his switch to download the updates to his sd card, copy the update to my PC, copy to my SD card with SXOS, use tinfoil to update the game on my switch?

2. Could I also copy his eshop games we purchased and use tinfoil to install them as well?

3. Same for DLC?

This would seem like a fairly safe way to download my updates, without getting my SXOS switch banned, or getting a virus from websites.

Or is there something i can google specifically to help me with getting updates. I tried CDNSP but i think its broken. lol

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you guys for the replies. I have been struggling to download my updates from working websites. So let me ask if this would be a better alternative...

I have my SX OS installed Switch.
My son already has a switch with FW 6.0.1.

1. Could i just use his switch to download the updates to his sd card, copy the update to my PC, copy to my SD card with SXOS, use tinfoil to update the game on my switch?

2. Could I also copy his eshop games we purchased and use tinfoil to install them as well?

3. Same for DLC?

This would seem like a fairly safe way to download my updates, without getting my SXOS switch banned, or getting a virus from websites.

Or is there something i can google specifically to help me with getting updates. I tried CDNSP but i think its broken. lol
you can dump games, dlcs and updates with https://github.com/CaitSith2/SwitchSDTool and then install the nsps onto the other switch. as for updates, there's an offical way too, the swich has a built in feature to share game updates. just press + on the game you want to update. Under software-update there should be a local option.

Last edited by tom2199,

krkk123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow up question. I have a game on cartridge and have downloaded a DLC from non-Nintendo server.

Can I use my SX-OS to update the DLC .NsP of my cartridge game, or do I need to backup my game to SD to install the DLC?

Thanks again for everyone’s input. This forum is sooooooooo helpful ;)

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can dump games, dlcs and updates with https://github.com/CaitSith2/SwitchSDTool and then install the nsps onto the other switch. as for updates, there's an offical way too, the swich has a built in feature to share game updates. just press + on the game you want to update. Under software-update there should be a local option.
Be careful of this though. I did this, and didn't catch that Mario Kart 8 was transferring a system update, so one of my Switches has an extra fuse blown now. I was prepared on the other Switch, had the jig in plus pressed Vol+ when the reboot message appeared, got into SX OS menu to re-apply AutoRCM.

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
I update the OS via ChoiDuJourNX and update games by starting without CFW, setting up wifi ( otherwise I have it not only in airplane mode but also not configured ) and letting the games update while in the menu, not playing anything. Once all updates are done I remove wifi configuration again and put airplane mode on again. Then I reboot in CFW mode again.

I have been doing this for months a looooot of times, no problem so far(TM).

Last edited by Inaki,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay