• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What is C(orporate) S(ocial) R(esponsibility)

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Here in the case of Facebook (the Instagram company).

Facebook in 2018 hired Yael Eisenstat, a geopolitical and global security consultant, who also had been a C.I.A analyst, and a special adviser on national security to Vice President Joe Biden as a Head of Global Elections Integrity Ops, as a part of their business integrity division, to lead the company effort against organized voting manipulation. Then changed her job purpose on the second day on the job. Instead of "giving her the ability to build her own department" she now says, she felt singled out without even the opportunity to do her intended job.

I'll translate a news article on the fly, then link the original Wired Interview.

Eisenstat doesnt think that her employment was intended as a PR-stunt, but describes it as "the most puzzling professional experience in her life". She says, that she was sidelined on purpose. She was refused access to meetings about measures against the manipulation of the midterm elections 2018, even though she was supposed to lead the meetings at one time.

Concerning the actual measures to prevent voting fraud Facebook then decided to do the "absolute minimum they could get away with". As she tried to push forward on the topic a little more, her demands fell on dead ears. Especially concerning foreign influence there would have been a few easy to implement additional measures, that werent taken.

The ex-manager also criticised the business model of Facebook. It would count on the "worst elements" of human psyche und would try to keep them active on the platform. Exaggerated headlines, and emotionaly activating content would work very well for that purpose, but also produce a stronger polarization that unrelated actors could use for their purposes.

Facebook would collect a veritable amount of data, and knows more about users than secret services like the C.I.A.. The relationship to their users she described as parasitic in nature.

src: https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-knows-more-about-you-than-cia/

Now. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the part where you, as a company act as if you care - and would want to change any of that.

Most of the time it is seen and financed as marketing/PR expenditure.

Well - another thing you learned today. Isn't that great. :)

(Dont forget to follow your favorite companies and brands on facebook, instagram and twitter.)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Uh. An even better example came along.

At the global consulting firm McKinsey & Company, the rule is sacrosanct: Never publicly disclose client advice. And for the most part, adherence to that rule has served the company well.
But in recent months, as government officials seek to assign blame for the opioid crisis that has strangled large parts of the nation, McKinsey’s advice is surfacing in ways that are deeply embarrassing for the influential firm, whose clients include many of the world’s most admired companies. One lawsuit stated that McKinsey advised a pharmaceutical company to “get more patients on higher doses of opioids” and study techniques “for keeping patients on opioids longer.”
src: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/business/mckinsey-johnson-and-johnson-opioids.html

Wait whaaaaaat?!

McKinseys is kind of the top consulting firm in the world - in many ways, maybe the top consulting firm still. They advise governments. Regularly.

Lets see this not having any reputation impact at all - because literally no one cares about average people.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad: