What happens when you release Super Metroid on WiiU?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about a physical manual is inherently better than a digital or pause menu manual? I mean for collection purposes, sure. But for purposes of its actual use, there's no real difference.
Sometimes, from what I noticed, they go into detail more and have more images to support the instructions to make things clearer. Like I said, in Fire Emblem Awakening and Resident Evil Revelations, the digital manuals just suck ass.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes, from what I noticed, they go into detail more and have more images to support the instructions to make things clearer. Like I said, in Fire Emblem Awakening and Resident Evil Revelations, the digital manuals just suck ass.
Well there's a huge difference between "digital manuals are inherently worse than physical ones," and "the digital manuals we actually get tend to suck." Sure, a lot of digital manuals suck, but there's no actual technical limitation that keeps them that way.

In fact, you could argue that digital manuals inherently have tons of advantages over physical ones, by their very nature: The fact that there's no need to worry about damaging or losing the manual (or buying a used game that doesn't have one), and the ability to jump through the contents with just a button tap instead of flipping pages come to mind.

And then of course when you turn to systems with some sort of touch or motion technology (DS, Wii), it becomes even more intuitive and fluid.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well there's a huge difference between "digital manuals are inherently worse than physical ones," and "the digital manuals we actually get tend to suck." Sure, a lot of digital manuals suck, but there's no actual technical limitation that keeps them that way.

In fact, you could argue that digital manuals inherently have tons of advantages over physical ones, by their very nature: The fact that there's no need to worry about damaging or losing the manual (or buying a used game that doesn't have one), and the ability to jump through the contents with just a button tap instead of flipping pages come to mind.

And then of course when you turn to systems with some sort of touch or motion technology (DS, Wii), it becomes even more intuitive and fluid.
Oh I'm not saying they can't suck, I'm just saying right now, they do. They could be better though.

But at the same time, one could argue that in this day and age, it's hard to lose the manuals because it goes right back in the case. Unlike before in previous years (such as the n64) there were no cases or places to put the manuals, so they were obviously going to get damaged or lost. And back in those days, nobody really kept the game boxes.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh I'm not saying they can't suck, I'm just saying right now, they do. They could be better though.

But at the same time, one could argue that in this day and age, it's hard to lose the manuals because it goes right back in the case. Unlike before in previous years (such as the n64) there were no cases or places to put the manuals, so they were obviously going to get damaged or lost. And back in those days, nobody really kept the game boxes.
Fair enough. But that was pretty much an exclusive Nintendo issue, at least among the really popular companies. Genesis had actual cases, and PS1, Saturn, and Dreamcast all had cases. But Nintendo didn't start doing that until the GameCube. And even with the cases to keep them from getting lost, that still doesn't help you when you buy a used game from Gamestop who had a careless owner. You know?

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Games need physical manuals. Games like Fire Emblem Awakening, while the game teaches you how to play, it doesn't teach you the menu's, or the items, or what the stats and such mean. I'm playing Resident Evil Revelations on the WiiU, there's no printed manual, and in Raid mode, there are these friggin Icons in the menu and I have no idea what they mean.
Did the US version of Fire Emblem Awakening come with a real manual? We in Europe only got a 2 page flyer, like with all 3DS games from Nintendo these days.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
and now with megaman X's release
E3J2COu.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum