xiaNaix

OP
Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this will create a shitstorm but I have to question what puropse having CD updates like the Wiikey and CycloWiz serves? I had a discussion with someone well-versed in the scene who raised some valid questions. These are all just simple drive mods based on Erant's DVD Tool (obvious by the solder points) so what is there to update? On the off chance that a new version Wii console were created (as there may already be, as seen by today's rumors) any fix would likely involve different solder points, not a code change. And, since these are just drive mods, any additional features people are expecting (homebrew channels, etc) would most certainly require additional points. This seems to be nothing more than a dubious marketing ploy.
blink.gif

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I think it is best for the switch to not be soldered in at all, simply insert it into the drive and it will seek it's home *extreme sarcasm*
biggrin.gif

ds_barf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sebastiaanborghstijn.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Incredible idea:

1. Market your chip as upgradeable.
2. Never release an upgrade.

Better yet:
1. first make everyone believe that the chip IS NOT upgradable, so you can have 'the best trick up your sleeve'.
2. Market your chip as upgradeable.
3. Weekly post news on your website that 'some cool things are ahead'
4. Never release an upgrade.
5. Sell your domainname.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Better yet:
1. first make everyone believe that the chip IS NOT upgradable, so you can have 'the best trick up your sleeve'.
2. Market your chip as upgradeable.
3. Weekly post news on your website that 'some cool things are ahead'
4. Never release an upgrade.
5. Sell your domainname.
6. Profit
happy.gif

crumpster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
honestly i believe the upgrade point of all this is utter marketing... i'm wating on a hex dump of wiinja then i'll put it on a $4 pic chip and close my wii forever (hopefully)

MaK10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its "upgradable" in case Nintendo releases an update over WiiConnect that can detect the chip. Therefore they can come out with a new firmware on the chip that isn't effected by the "new" nintendo update. Its the same thing as the Xbox360 drive flash. After their fall update some people were reporting errors after using older firmwares on the drives. But when flashed with the most recent hacked firmware they were fine.

ahh took my posting virginity
smile.gif

Fazered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I don't think it would be sensible for them to release any updates until the firmware was freely available. Why give away your precious code for people to just take it and put it on their home made mods?

However there certainly is additional features that could possibly be added, just see the 360 scene. My firmware has been updated a number of times. No you won't see region free or Wii homebrew but you might see smaller non-raw format rips, quiet drive modes, cheap media modes etc. Sure this is just a drive exploit rather than an actual new firmware but there is scope for minor updates as well as combating possible Nintendo actions against mods.

These mods are dirst cheap. Enjoy them for a while and if you have to get a cool new one when they arrive. It's still amazing value compared to buying games.

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
this whole upgradable thing is retarded =="

the only reason you would upgrade...is if Nintendo some how releases a patch to disable the modchip... rite? (which isn't likely)....

but if the modchip is disabled through the firmware patch....how would your "modchip firmware update cd" be read in the Wii? XD

Does anyone understand what I am trying to say? Sorry if that wasn't structured very well...basically, the way I see it, if Nintendo disables the modchip, the "update disk" wouldn't be read either.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ Yeah the only way to avoid that is to never upgrade and constantly browse the internet to see if there was a recent upgrade that f'ed up your precious modchip and wait hopefully for an update from said developer to fix that problem

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
^ Yeah the only way to avoid that is to never upgrade and constantly browse the internet to see if there was a recent upgrade that f'ed up your precious modchip and wait hopefully for an update from said developer to fix that problem
And if you're afraid of Nintendo disabling a hardmod through a software upgrade, you should also worry about them reprogramming your DNA using the radiation from the Wii WiFi card. Or infecting you with a computer virus.

I swear, one day, the power to stab people in the face through TCP/IP will be mine.
dry.gif

xiaNaix

OP
Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
Wiinja, CycloWiz and (most likely) Wiikey are all simple drive mods based on Erant's DVD Serial Tool. The points are exactly the same. They simply intercept the drive data. No more, no less. Since the drive code in your Wii is never going to change (No, Nintendo will not be sending a flash for the Wii drive over the internet... wish they would though. hehehe) what use is an "update" feature? This is only needed for new drive models and, as we have seen already, this may or may not be useful. The incompatible version Wii could require either new code, new solder points, or both. If new points are required, the CycloWiz will have to be entirely redesigned so the "easy solder" holes match up with the points. If it's code, it's an easy fix for them except for the chips that have already shipped.

Let's assume, however, you have a current CycloWiz and find out when opening your Wii that you have the non-compatible version. How are you going to update the code? You can't install it to "upgrade" since it doesn't work on that version.

Either way, to fix any issues with new Wii versions, Wiiinja and CycloWiz will both have to issue new chips. The "update" feature is USELESS!!!

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose if you're a reseller you could upgrade the chips using a compatible Wii/drive before selling them on, so it wouldn't be completely useless.

elderdakkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
a possible use of the update function:

BigN decides to bring a new firmware packed (maybe hidden) on one of the future games. so the drive has a new firmware/passwd. the drive might still be able to read the (burned) disc itself (althoug it wont boot the Wii OS because of the wrong firmware). now u can insert a disc with the "updated" chip software which handles the modifications made by BigNs firmware or something. i'm shure the update function has its sense

dakky

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i'm shure the update function has its sense

Yes it does. Propaganda. It makes the chip sell better.

I'll allow the possibility that an update can make the chip work faster/reduce initial load time, or work with less glitches, but until I see an actual update that actually does something, I'm skeptical.
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F