Truliche

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
I have a router that's WPA2 and I really want to use internet in Pokemon Black/White 2, I know they can use normal Wi-Fi with a DSi, however most flashcarts (even the top ones like SuperTWO) run in DS mode, however I've heard of a few flashcarts that can run in DSi mode. Which one would you recommend? Are any of them constantly updated by the team? Are they full featured? The only DS game I want internet for is Pokemon so I'm not gonna sacrifice flashcart performance and support just for DSi mode.

Thank you.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Actually there is no DSi-Mode carts which are viable now. And there was only one that even ran in it, the CycloDS IEvolution iirc.

D

Deleted-236924

Your only option is to buy the retail cartridge, since even if you were to get an iEvo to boot on your 3DS, the Wi-Fi functions just don't work at all in DSi mode.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an android phone and you don't want to root, you can use an app called foxfi, if you are using IOS you will have to jailbreak to do that and if you already have a rooted android phone then I would just suggest using an app called wifi tether

(this is for the hotspot from the phone)

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
If you have an android phone and you don't want to root, you can use an app called foxfi, if you are using IOS you will have to jailbreak to do that and if you already have a rooted android phone then I would just suggest using an app called wifi tether

That's what I said,but didn't DSi use all the other security?I remember having a DSi connecting to a WPA2 password.If it did why doesn't 3DS DS-mode have that feature too?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a stupid Limitation Nintendo decided to not fix. Sony fixed the PS Vita PSP Mode WiFi Problem the Right way allowing PSP games to use the Vita's Wireless N card via some sort of wrapper so that PSP games have Internet access on a WPA2 only Wireless N only network even.
Nintendo could of easily did this also, instead,we got WEP for Flashcards and WPA1 for DSi games. only 3DS games and apps can use WPA2.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
wep is too easy to crack... i could have that done in under 30 minutes no matter the router. you should up your security...
Sure, anyone could - the tools are freely available. That doesn't give you network access though. Even if you hack the encryption, there are ways of keeping you away from the network - in fact, there's plenty. MAC Black/White listing, IP Black/White listing, subnetworking - lots and lots of stuff. If you want to use Online on the DS, you need some kind of a WEP connection, and that's that. You just have to deal with it.

The suggested method is using a separate AP that's synced only with the DS, but there are other ways of "using WEP and still being safe".

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Its a stupid Limitation Nintendo decided to not fix. Sony fixed the PS Vita PSP Mode WiFi Problem the Right way allowing PSP games to use the Vita's Wireless N card via some sort of wrapper so that PSP games have Internet access on a WPA2 only Wireless N only network even.
Nintendo could of easily did this also, instead,we got WEP for Flashcards and WPA1 for DSi games. only 3DS games and apps can use WPA2.
Actually... network handling is done by the ARM7 binary in each game. So in order to do that in DS-mode, they'd have to replace the ARM7 binary. For every game.

Well, a lot of games use the same generic ARM7, but a lot of them don't as well. A common older trick back when DS games used save-based protections (the Sonic/Sega racing game for an example) was to swap the ARM7 binary of the game for an older one, so the save detection/protection/deletion wouldn't occur.

Sure, anyone could - the tools are freely available. That doesn't give you network access though.
It does let you see any data flying around that's not encrypted with a VPN, SSL, or some other sort of tunnel-type method that's underneath the network encryption... which is one of the main reasons that wireless encryption is used.

Even if you hack the encryption, there are ways of keeping you away from the network - in fact, there's plenty. MAC Black/White listing
Source/destination MAC addreses are in the 802.11 frame headers (which would be pretty much plaintext to anybody once the WEP security is broken), and MAC address spoofing means the hacker can try to connect to your network, posing as a system that's allowed.

IP Black/White listing
That wouldn't do anything on a local network, as a device can always turn DHCP off and set it's own static IP... which can be anything within the usable block, including addresses that aren't given out by DHCP (for example when routers start giving out addresses in the .100+ range, it lets anything from .2-.99 be statically-requested by the client, which is "standard practice" anyways in commercial applications, just being mimicked at home because home users won't give a shit about "only" having 150 or so local devices on at once XD).

subnetworking
Like, only allowing a single device on by only giving one subnet (which has only one allowable host out of two usable) access to the internet? I guess that'd be one reason to use a /30...

Well the hacker can just assign his machine the IP/MAC of yours, send some TCP handshake packets (not sure which ones with which flags as I've never done this personally), and kick yours off in place of his (at which point regaining access to the router is pretty much "hook a wire into it, or make use of that reset button" to go the easiest route).

- lots and lots of stuff. If you want to use Online on the DS, you need some kind of a WEP connection, and that's that. You just have to deal with it.

The suggested method is using a separate AP that's synced only with the DS
Agreed here. If you can manage to get one of those "DS wireless adapter" things for the PC and get it working, that'd be the simplest and safest (from what I read it's proprietary).

EDIT: Oh shit I started another Rydian/Foxi conversation.

MORE AFTER THIS COMMERCIAL BREAK.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My phone isn't rooted and I can make a hotspot...

It depends on your provider, really.
Apparently, T-Mobile lets me use the hotspot function free with 3G.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My phone isn't rooted and I can make a hotspot...

It depends on your provider, really.
Apparently, T-Mobile lets me use the hotspot function free with 3G.

I guess that's true if you are paying for carrier ripoff tethering service or you're on an old contract that has that included but as far as I know no contracts have that standard anymore

D

Deleted User

Alright, hotspots can be made with any phone that supports it, Androids support it normally if you go to settings>More under wireless and communications. Some carriers don't let you though.

On a PC that is connected to the internet-whether it's via wifi or ethernet, install the program in the quote below. It will make a wifi hotspot as long as you have at least one wifi card on your computer. Even if that card is connected to a network, it will still both connect to the network and successfully create a wifi hotspot.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The HTC Evo 4G has USB tethering as a function of the phone, but it looks like it's tied to the tether plan because it hits the 5GB per month limit too... In addition there's unofficial USB tethering (Tether, clockworkmod product), and unofficial Bluetooth tethering (FoxFi) that bypass the service/limits.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

That's very interesting.
I wonder why didn't Nintendo do that.
Sometimes it's hard to understand Nintendo decisions:
No achievements, limit-usage demo, VC bad filters and lack of remap buttons feature, abscense of SNES VC games, only ambassadors games as GBA VC games,
few GBC games etc

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
In my personal setup, I have a Wrt54GL running DD-WRT and has a virtual SSID with WEP just for my DSi to connect to. My router's main connection is still set to WPA2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: