Hacking Question What exactly does XS OS do to my switch?

nuva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am thinking about buying an SX OS Pro, but I want to be clear in how it exactly works.

Am I correct in understanding that the dongle loads a custom os that boots from the sd card and saves data there?
Does it actually change anything to my Nintendo Switch if I don't use "AutoRCM"?

And so? Are save files shared between the cfw and the ofw?

Last edited by nuva,

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I guess I'll have to be the one trying to actually be helpful here. It loads SX OS from SD card and patches Horizon (ofw) while booting to enable their own features. Save files are saved on the switch or SD card just as if you'd be playing from a real cart. SX OS just emulates the card. It shouldn't modify the nand in anyway.

nuva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It loads SX OS from SD card and patches Horizon (ofw) while booting to enable their own features.

So it just starts it own firmware in the boot sequence. But when you reboot without the dongle it's just like it was before?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use it to run devmenu. You’ll need it to install nsp. The dongle is very neat and eliminates the need to inject a payload from pc. You’ll even have the option to run other payloads, such as Hekate. I backed up my nand first thing. Also , you don’t need AutoRCM. I didn’t install it, and probably won’t. I put my switch to sleep, as opposed to shutting it down. AutoRCM eliminates the need for a jig, only if you power off your switch. I don’t mind using the well made jig, since I use sleep mode instead.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So many shitposts, so few actual answers.
SX OS boots a signature patched Sysnand. It's shared with the original Sysnand, so you'll have the software and savegames you use in SX OS also pop up whenever you boot the console regularly. Just can't use it.
Also it replaces the Image Album with their own Backup Loader and a homebrew launcher.
Essentially it lets you play either xci backups (1:1 cart backups), and with devmenu or tinfoil also nsp backups (installable eshop content).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone