Hacking What exactly can I do with EZFlash 3-in-1 with my CycloDS?

The Chow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For the record, I did try searching around some forums and some wikis for an answer, but most of the topics I looked at in my search usually just asked if the 3-in-1 was a good slot-2 to use with it.

Anyway, I have been able to use it to emulate GBA games using that app from Rudolph. But is that most I can do with my 3-in-1?

My CycloDS firmware recognizes it as having rumble (which it should), and I can enable it, but when I trial-tested the rumble with Metroid Pinball, the game itself didn't recognize that there was a rumble pack in there.

From a little bit of reading, I think I'm supposed to soft-reset something to get the rumble and the RAM working? One of the topics says that GBA emulation does not natively allow for a soft-reset back to the DS software, because that's just how it works out. And I've seen some wikis refer to a file called "SoftRest.CEVO" for soft resetting. Where do I put that file, if that is what I'm supposed to be using to activate the rumble?

Any tips on what to do to get the most out of my 3-in-1, using the CycloDS?

CeePhour

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.HWHQ.com
XP
Country
United States
The EZ V 3in1 you have is the new type (different chipset) - which means no built-in support from the Cyclo firmware.

What you need is Rudolph's GBA ExpLoader (sounds like you're that far) and SoftReset.CEVO.

SoftReset.CEVO goes in the root of your SD card.

Run GBA ExpLoader and press R (twice from PSRAM mode, once from NOR mode) - this will take you to the other functions ( the other 2 of the 3in1
tongue.gif
). Select your desired rumble strength and hit A. Your NDS should soft-reset to the Cyclo menu. Select a rumble supported game and it should world.

This is the screen you're looking for:

The Chow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, that worked perfectly.
biggrin.gif

But, wow, going through all that every time I want to have those functions seems so inconvenient. But I can't do anything about that anyway.
laugh.gif

EDIT:

Oh, here's another question. If I have legit cards that support the rumble function, I wouldn't be able to get my EZFlash 3-in-1 (new chip) to work with it? At least, not until there's some sort of software solution like uploading something to the NOR data?

I tried it with my MP:Hunters, and it didn't work.

CeePhour

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.HWHQ.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the whole problem would be... getting the EZ V 3in1 to go into rumble mode - you'd HAVE to boot from another device, which, logically, would have to be in the slot 1... which means no real game cart could be there... unless you could switch it once in GBA ExpLoader, which wouldn't work right I'm sure (no softreset mechanism?).

I suppose I shouldn't ask, but why on Earth would someone with a slot1 device want to use a real cart?
smile.gif

I have all of my games on the slot1 device and take that everywhere. I'm too fearful of losing/damaging my original games while out.

If it is a matter of your current save games/high scores you CAN dump those off the real carts to .SAV's.

*edit: Forgot where I was going with all that...

TeamCyclops will probably (hopefully) put support for the new EZV 3in1 chipset in their next firmware (would be 1.4 I would imagine). This is one of the things that makes the Cyclo HIGHLY recommended. Good luck with most other cards getting built-in support for things like that.

The Chow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have real cards because I am sort of a game collector. The CycloDS is just there to supplement what I have.
wink.gif

While I'm probably able to get this information with enough research... how the heck would I be able to get my saves from my real games, given what I have (CycloDS and 3-in-1)? I can immediately think of a way to do it with slot-2, but how would I be able to do it with slot-1 only?

CeePhour

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.HWHQ.com
XP
Country
United States
The Chow said:
I have real cards because I am sort of a game collector. The CycloDS is just there to supplement what I have.
wink.gif

Exactly. This was exactly my concern - I use the slot1 devices so that I don't risk anything happening to the collection.
My confusion came with using the original cart instead of a backup...

In any case :

Grab Rudolph's NDS backup Tool from here :
http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/nds/NDS_Backup/

If you have a slot1 device grab "NDS Backup Tool Wifi v0.31e (2008/2/8)??Build dswifi 0.3.4.".

It is all pretty self-explanatory. All you need is a wireless access point, FTP server, and your NDS/games.
All told it took me about 10 minutes to dump my saves from all my games (dumping the saves is practically instant, it is the setup that may take a few minutes).

Set up a quick and dirty FTP server with whatever you prefer (Windows users might want to look into warftp or smallftpd).
Be sure to make a user account, and give yourself write access to whatever folder you are going to use.
Arrange the NDS Backup Tool's .ini file with the proper information (the username and password you specified, path, etc...).
Once you boot the NDS Backup Tool, and successfully connect to your FTP server, press B to dump your saved game.
It will instruct you to swap carts. You do not have to reboot for every game either, just keep switching carts.

The Chow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, here's a few new questions, this time about the GBA part of it:

I've tried turning on the rumble the same way I've done it for NDS games, but it doesn't seem to work with the few GBA games that do support it ("Drill Dozer" is the only one that comes to mind, besides WW Twisted, but I have the actual cart anyway). It doesn't really matter, but I'm assuming that GBA rumble isn't supported since it's so rare?

Also, Sleep mode does not work at all with the Cyclo + 3-in-1 combo. I'm guessing that's normal also?
(EDIT: "Sleep mode" as in in-game sleep mode for GBA, where you exit with L+R+Start and such)

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Chow said:
For the record, I did try searching around some forums and some wikis for an answer, but most of the topics I looked at in my search usually just asked if the 3-in-1 was a good slot-2 to use with it.

Anyway, I have been able to use it to emulate GBA games using that app from Rudolph. But is that most I can do with my 3-in-1?

My CycloDS firmware recognizes it as having rumble (which it should), and I can enable it, but when I trial-tested the rumble with Metroid Pinball, the game itself didn't recognize that there was a rumble pack in there.

From a little bit of reading, I think I'm supposed to soft-reset something to get the rumble and the RAM working? One of the topics says that GBA emulation does not natively allow for a soft-reset back to the DS software, because that's just how it works out. And I've seen some wikis refer to a file called "SoftRest.CEVO" for soft resetting. Where do I put that file, if that is what I'm supposed to be using to activate the rumble?

Any tips on what to do to get the most out of my 3-in-1, using the CycloDS?
Thanks I just asked a question about which slot 2 I could use if I get the Cyclo and this answered my question very well
smile.gif
. I'm going to read through this thread and then I'm off to lock my old topic
gba.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxitjYqUexI