Gaming What EU games would be good for practicing other languages?

forkyfork

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I really enjoy playing EU games from other regions to practice different languages. What EU games would you recommend that would be simple but allow me to practice my french/spanish. I don't want anything text heavy like an RPG (unless there is Spanish/French spoken dialogue and not just text).

I really enjoyed Brain Age for this purpose. Anything else? Maybe something more on the simpler side for text.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh. I usually go the other way and seek text over spoken.

I am always wary of these sorts of things -- speaking like most games are written, especially if you are going for simplified action games to keep text counts down, is rarely a great look, and that is before we get into the quality of translations (EU Nintendo tended to do far better than efforts seen in North America when they tried to include a token French for those few in Canada (what Cajuns?) or Spanish for those south of the border). I was involved in several efforts to clean up atrocious translations and port saves across when EU versions dropped and people could accordingly drop the "machine translation would have been better" efforts some US versions got. This is also before differences in language is accounted for -- most EU stuff being the continental versions of a given language (indeed you are more likely to find US English in a UK market game than Quebec's awful dialect in something aimed at France) rather than what is present in the Americas, though I understand other than Portuguese it is not that great a difference between them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1