Hacking What does the '3DS' menu item on the r4ids do?

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an old R4ids (http://www.r4ids.cn/) running wood 1.64 that I plan on putting into a 3ds while i wait for my gateway to be shipped, I noticed there's a 3ds 'install' button in the settings and I was wondering if anyone knows what it does. My educated guess is it installs the DS profile in the same way that the setup card does for the gateway, allowing a firmware dump on the 3DS. Is that right? If so will that conflict with the one that the gateway uses or is it the same?
Also these R4 carts have terrible naming conventions, I took me while just to figure out which one I have. it's basically this one http://www.r4ids.cn/images/3ds7.jpg without the "RTS" starburst, and i'm not even sure what that means.

Zamzummin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also these R4 carts have terrible naming conventions, I took me while just to figure out which one I have. it's basically this one http://www.r4ids.cn/images/3ds7.jpg without the "RTS" starburst, and i'm not even sure what that means.

RTS stands for real-time saving. In other words, it's a flash card that lets you save at any point while playing a game.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It installs the gateway exploit so that you can use GW/R4i Gold Deluxe.

So presumably it was added in a firmware update for the cart, after the deluxe was released but for what purpose? If one has a deluxe then they have the installer card for that. What benefit is there having this cart be able to install the gateway exploit if it can't play 3DS games itself?

Zamzummin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So presumably it was added in a firmware update for the cart, after the deluxe was released but for what purpose? If one has a deluxe then they have the installer card for that. What benefit is there having this cart be able to install the gateway exploit if it can't play 3DS games itself?

Maybe it's just that the same firmware was used for this and the R4i Gold Deluxe blue cart? So it has no purpose on this cart but it still has the option because it's the same firmware.

Shadowhunta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Interestingly, i picked up my gateway red card on its own from gumtree, i'm pleased that the exploit can be run from any flashcart, not just the blue cart from the gateway bundle (which is just a rebadged R4 cart!)

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That clears things up a bit. Would there be any difference in the various iterations of the 'gateway installer.nds' used by various carts? My understanding is that it's a modified 'ds profile' which causes the launch of the red cart somehow. Is there a technical write-up somewhere? I'm curious to learn more.

edit: this seems to be what i was looking for http://gbatemp.net/threads/heres-what-we-know-about-how-gateway-works.352812/

Sounds as though it corrupts the DS profile so the gateway exploit needs to be re-written when using DS mode. So my understanding from that would be that if I install the gateway then use my r4ids to play a DS game, I'll have to re-install the gateway again after to use the red cart at a later time? Does the red cart from the gateway package allow the user to run DS games? If so does that mean that the blue cart needs to be used again after playing a DS game from the red cart?

Zamzummin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds as though it corrupts the DS profile so the gateway exploit needs to be re-written when using DS mode. So my understanding from that would be that if I install the gateway then use my r4ids to play a DS game, I'll have to re-install the gateway again after to use the red cart at a later time? Does the red cart from the gateway package allow the user to run DS games? If so does that mean that the blue cart needs to be used again after playing a DS game from the red cart?

The red cart does not allow you to play DS games, only 3DS games. The rest of your understanding is correct.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1