Ripklawe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

Been a LONG time since I have posted, back around the time GBA was just getting popular.

My question is about DS info. What do I need to get started? I was looking at the Supercard DS One v3 and it looks to be the equipment to have. Do I need anything besides this Supercard DS One v3 and a MicroSD card? I am unfamiliar with how this works and for some reason cannot find any real info on how to get started.

Feel free to flame but at least answer my questions ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Rip

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ripklawe said:
Do I need anything besides this Supercard DS One v3 and a MicroSD card?
If all you want to do is play DS games, the only other thing you'll need is the SCDS1 loader (the software that runs on the cart; you don't need any special software for the computer). You can get tha latest loader from the GBAtemp download center or the Supercard website.

Ripklawe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I should have probably stated what I wanted to do. All I want to do is be able to play NDS and GBA games. That is it. No rumble, internet etc etc etc.

So, All I will need is the Supercard DS One, the Supercard DS One loader and a MicroSD card? Hmm, I think I can swing that. I was worried I would have to mod the system in some fashion.

Thanks for the replies,

Rip

P.S.

If I am missing something or I am asking stuff that has been posted, could I please get a link to that information. Thank you.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play GBA games you will need a slot 2 (GBA slot) flashcart of some sort. There are quite a few choices, and they boil down to three major catagories:
  • Old style GBA flashcarts. These use NOR flash memory (slow to write, as fast as ROM to read) and require special software to write games to the cart.
  • Modern slot 2 flashcarts: These use memory cards or internal NAND flash memory (faster to write than NOR, but slower to read - the roms must be copied to RAM in the cart each time you run them) and have a FAT filesystem. You usually still need to use a patcher or game manager with these.
  • GBA expansion carts: These carts only add the ability to run GBA software to a slot 1 cart; they cannot be used on their own. All files are stored on the slot 1 cart and transferred to the expansion as needed. You use them by running a loader from the slot 1 cart that backs up the save for the last game you ran, then copies the new game and its save to the expansion. They are the simplest to use because the current loaders do not require you to patch the GBA roms, you just drop them on the memory card like DS roms.
If I were choosing one of these today I would go with a GBA expansion cart - either the EZ-Flash 3 in 1 or the eWin GBA expansion. Both are cheap (less than $20 for the eWin, $19-$25 for the 3 in 1), easy to use, and they do the job quite well.

If you need a cart with a clock so your pokeymen can know what time it is, your choices are much more limited. Very few of the carts available today have a clock.

Don't get a slot 2 Supercard, they really suck for GBA games.

Ripklawe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
If you want to play GBA games you will need a slot 2 (GBA slot) flashcart of some sort. There are quite a few choices, and they boil down to three major catagories:
  • Old style GBA flashcarts. These use NOR flash memory (slow to write, as fast as ROM to read) and require special software to write games to the cart.
  • Modern slot 2 flashcarts: These use memory cards or internal NAND flash memory (faster to write than NOR, but slower to read - the roms must be copied to RAM in the cart each time you run them) and have a FAT filesystem. You usually still need to use a patcher or game manager with these.
  • GBA expansion carts: These carts only add the ability to run GBA software to a slot 1 cart; they cannot be used on their own. All files are stored on the slot 1 cart and transferred to the expansion as needed. You use them by running a loader from the slot 1 cart that backs up the save for the last game you ran, then copies the new game and its save to the expansion. They are the simplest to use because the current loaders do not require you to patch the GBA roms, you just drop them on the memory card like DS roms.
If I were choosing one of these today I would go with a GBA expansion cart - either the EZ-Flash 3 in 1 or the eWin GBA expansion. Both are cheap (less than $20 for the eWin, $19-$25 for the 3 in 1), easy to use, and they do the job quite well.

If you need a cart with a clock so your pokeymen can know what time it is, your choices are much more limited. Very few of the carts available today have a clock.

Don't get a slot 2 Supercard, they really suck for GBA games.

First, thank you for the reply. I HATE having to ask questions as I usually prefer to just read about what I want to know. For some reason, I am finding that difficult for this subject.
Anywho, thank you for the suggestion on what to get for GBA games. I looked at both and I am feeling pretty good about the EZ flash 3 in 1 and will be getting that one.

One last thing:

If you had to choose a slot 1 today, what would you go with? Money is not an issue.

Regards,

Rip

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Either the Supercard DS One or the CycloDS Evolution. I'd recommend the Evolution simply because of ease of use, but either should work quite well. Team Cyclops has been doing an excellent job of keeping the Evo updated and adding new features, and it is simple and easy to use. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have a spring loaded microSD slot (some people consider this a plus), it doesn't automatically skip the health & safety screen and the DS menu (likewise), and it is just about the most expensive slot 1 flashcart available (except for the DS-X, but that doesn't count).

That said, I don't have an Evolution, and I'm going to be recieving an SCDS1 in the mail any day now. The spring loaded memory card slot and skipping the health & safety screen are important to me, and the SCDS1 has both. It also has most of the features the Evo has, and one more: It can display a game guide (grand talk for a text file) on the DS while the game is running. The Evo will probably get that feature before too long (it is planned for a future update), but it doesn't have it right now.

One big plus the Evo has over the SCDS1 is that it supports the 3 in 1 directly, so you can run GBA games from the Evo menu without having to start a loader first.

Ripklawe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
One big plus the Evo has over the SCDS1 is that it supports the 3 in 1 directly, so you can run GBA games from the Evo menu without having to start a loader first.

Hmm, this seems it will be my choice then since it will work well right off the bat with my 3 in 1.

Thank you VERY much for your help. I am off to find all the info I can on both products.

Regards,

Rip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...