What do I have, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by K.Wall.24, Oct 22, 2013.

1. K.Wall.24
    OP

K.Wall.24 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    So going back maybe 5 years ago, my classmate told me he could hack my PS2 Fat to play burned games. All he needed was my memory card. Brings it back the next day, explains how to use it, and I go home and try. I now had this "CogSwap" thing. Fast forward, my fat dies, I buy a new Slim, and everything still works, after some minor hardware mods (tiny ball of paper to cover the lid sensor, tape on the disc brake), everything works just as it did. Fast forward to now. Having recently hooked up my PS2 Slim (SCPH-75001), everything works, but I'd like to also run PSX games, and I'm not sure what else I can do to my PS2.

I was wondering if CogSwap is the best thing to use. I'm wondering if I could load games off a USB HDD. I want to run PSX games (specifically Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games). I'm just wondering what else my PS2 is capable of, and if there is anything I should do to it.

Looking at my Memory Card, I have a System Configuration, BOOT Folder, FMCB-CNF Folder, Free McBoot, if any of that helps. I have no clue what is in them, or version numbers, or anything.

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    You can play ps2 games off a HDD but I'm not too sure about psx, I don't think I ever got that side of it working.
    But watch out the ps2 HDD method plays fmvs super slow

3. K.Wall.24
    OP

K.Wall.24 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, so scratch the USB idea. Have you got PSx games working at all, disc or not?

4. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
  5. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    To run burned PS1 games on your slim you'll need a modchip. You can't run them through USB (there's PS2PSXE but it's awful)

Also the latest slims (from like mid 2008 on) don't have the memory card update feature anymore so you can't 'install' FMCB on them.